IGNORED

Nothing running but my engine*%^$@!

This is about the worst electrics problem I've ever seen. No lights, signals, gas guage, speedo..........NOTHING on my 2003 Midnight Venture.

Any ideas where to start looking?

The manual (the cheapy little user one, not the shop jobby) refers to three fuse boxes: the "main" one, number 1.....and number 2. Are there really 3?

Should I be checking fuses......or go straight to looking for burned/disconnected wires?

The previous owners DID do a fair bit of fooling around: passing lights...LED's...alarm.....etc.

Any thoughts GREATLY appreciated!

Mike

Check the fuses first, always keep it simple and then proceed once you have the basics covered. The RSV is notorious for the key switches going bad, that is another place to look if you find all the fuses are good. Make sure your battery connections are all tight and clean, it's probably something simple, dont pull your hair out....we'll get you through it

:happy34:

Thanks, squidley, sleeper and brad.

I notice a couple of references to battery. Is the whole system that delicate that a low battery would kill all these auxilliary systems? ( I DID leave my radio on and flatten the battery last year......but, I've been out many times since then.)

As I recall on my second to last ride last Fall, the passing lamps being intermittent was the first of my multiple electrical failures; then the speedo started appearing/disappearing....then the signals. It was a bizarre mix that prompted me to put the beast in the garage way too prematurely.

Now I'm at the point where I'm not too enthused about trying to get it out. The rain doesn't help, of course, and I hate to sound like a whiner.....but, there's nothing worse than having electricals....unless of course it carburation!!!

OK, no more crying....I'm heading out to the shop to tackle this sum*****.

Brad, I'm in St. Catharines.....the banana, er rather the grape belt!

I'll get back to you guys as I progress.......or start going psycho!!

Hi semi-retired,

I had the same problem as you. I took off for a four day trip to the Grand Canyon last Friday with wife and gear. Got about 60 miles out on a hot day and stopping for lunch when all of a sudden I was dead with no ignition, lights, gauges, nothing! I coasted into the parking lot and went to work. I pulled the manual out just like you. I found the main and aux fuses but they were all good. I even used the spares to check each one. My battery is two months new and as it turned out was good. It hadn't run down and the charging system was ok as well. The dealer has the bike now and hasn't had the time to work it in their schedule. They said they'll have an answer by next week. I suspect the ecm or another computer problem or it may be that crappy ignition switch which was getting hard to turn with the key. Oh I forgot to say my bike is also a 2003 Midnight Venture with about 44,000 mi. on it. I was lucky though. My dealer here in Bakersfield, Ca. paid my towing for over $200.00 as my bike is still under warranty. It expires mid June of this year. I guess if I hadn't taken this trip when I did my warranty would have expired and I'd be footing the whole bill. With that in mind I really don't feel too bad. I'll post the dealers findings as soon as I get them.