IGNORED

Lowered the front end

Hey just wanted to thank all of you that posted forums on how to lower the front end of an RSV. I used the info and lowered mine yesterday....WOW!!!! What a difference! I never thought it would change the handling as much as it did. Someone should contact Yamaha and tell them to sell RSV's w/ shorter fork tubes and Avon tires.

:bighug:

Guest tx2sturgis

When deciding on a setting for the front end geometry of a bike, the manufacturer has to find a compromise between low speed manuverablity and high speed stability. In motorcycle design, you never get something for nothing. In this case, we are talking about rake and trail settings, and changing them to suit the rider.

My guess is that Yamaha setup the front end with high speed stablity in mind. High speed 'tank slappers' can get a rider killed, and a manufacturer sued.

But the guys lowering the front end MAY be compromising high speed stability. Dont know myself, and I'm not gonna find out. And the bike may be good for 100mph or more with the front lowered, I dont know. Thing is, that if the tire is slightly out of balance or out of round, or the bearings get the smallest amount of slop, or the fork oil leaks, or a strong crosswind hits the bike, (or like in my case, I had a rear tire go flat in about 10 seconds and the handling got VERY screwy), the rider may just find out its not as stable at 85 or 90 mph any more.

This is all a guess on my part. Yall do what ya want. Mines stayin like it is.

Guys have been adjusting the front end for years, cutting and rewelding, extending the tubes, changing the wheel size. It's just the nature of a biker. Hell, we even replaced entire fork assemblys on our Harleys with Suzuki forks to extend them. I don't believe you'll have any troubles, adjust your ride to suit you. You'll enjoy the ride even more.

I've messed with lowering the front, lowering the back, raising the back with the leveling links and the narrow Avon on the front. One thing I always found is the bike really responds to changes. I was repeatedly amazed with the difference a seemingly minor change makes.

Before the narrow tire and with my height the lowered front worked best for me. I ride solo with no air in the back shock and it settles a bit when I get on. The bike tracked great and would actually turn when I wanted. With a little air keeping the back up giving even less rake up front and it REALLY turned.

Even with the stock height you can make some adjustments by changing the height in the back with different air pressure. The first time I dropped the bike was the first day I had it. No air in the shock and the wife on the back. With the back sagging it's real slow and heavy to respond. Stopped while finishing a turn and plopped over on the crash bar.

Jerry

Edited by AZSpyder

Alex,

Did you keep the regular sized front tire or did you go with the narrower tire?

Mine, just found out recently, has had the front lowered and it also has the narrower front tire. I do experience a bit of "tar snake wander" and wondered about going back to the stock sized front tire next change.

Other than that wander I've got no problems, with slow speed maneuvering, when I go over 100 or with crosswinds with the front lowered.

I've done it all the front end and the rear end lowered and the smaller Avon tire on the front. If I had it to do over, I would do it again. I could not ride the bike the way it was set up originally. As long as I was going I was ok. When I stopped it was trouble. I have a 28" inseam and I jut knew with the slightest gust of wind I was going over. My bike rides fine now and it handles great. No problems.

one thing i do notice about the stock set up is that, it sure does ride smooth a high speeds. My bud's have comented on the speed tha I ride sometimes. I dont even realize i'm riding as fast as i do most times. I just installed the leveling link which IMHO gave the bike a whole new feel. Mostly at slower speeds. I haven't motice any change at high speeds. I guess i might agree that Maybe yamaha could set it up with what the leveling link sets the rake and trail at. Just my :2cents:.

gib, I have the smaller Avon on the front. As for tar snake wander, its not hot enough here yet, but I did have that before I changed tires and lowered the front. I am also going to try handlebar set-backs.

OK, no wobbles, no problems just better control. And, for the record Kitesquid, I have been riding for 42 years, so I tghink I have figured out how to ride a bike.

For me that's what I thought but this bike really screwed with my mind. The best thing I could do with it stock was try to get rid of that last couple of miles per hour and get it stopped and feet down before the lean got to far for me to stop. Leveling links and lowered front (one at a time) all helped but the narrow Avon finally did it for me. I took the front drop back out after a week with the Avons. Lighter then I wanted with the narrow tire and the front drop.

I have the Ride Like a Pro DVD and took an advanced riding course recently that has given me some fine points to work on but the bike just didn't work for me stock. I love it now, in traffic, in parking lots and picking my feet up even if pulling forward a car length. The thing even likes to turn. The best I could do stock is force a turn and it just didn't feel like it wanted to.

Jerry

First I went to Avons with the 130/90 front. That helped a lot, especially at low speed. No negative impact on high speed that I can tell.

Then I added the Baron's front end kit, which lowers the front about 1 inch and adds gold valves and different springs.

WOW what a difference. I'd say each change was 50% iof the improvements.

I can't try the link because I'm 5'6" and another inch up in the back will leave me needing stilts! But the Baron's kit results in roughly the same relative geometry and really works better on bumps etc.

Also I found that with the Avon's at max pressure, the bike is "twitchy" at speed. I reduced to stock Yamaha recommended pressures for loaded/two-up (36 front 41 rear) and it works very well. May wear quicker, have only put 5000 km on the tires so I don't know yet, but I'd rather buy tires more often if the bike works better.

Haven't read any posts with that low of a pressure setting in the front with the Avons but even with 41 or so in the front I didn't like the twitchiness. Now I can slap the longer-than-stock Flanders bars hard and the bike doen't even budge, no oscillations, just goes on down the road.

:cool10:

...Then I added the Baron's front end kit, which lowers the front about 1 inch and adds gold valves and different springs.

WOW what a difference. I'd say each change was 50% iof the improvements....

Is this kit available for the venture or just the tour deluxe? I have not seen it metioned on the board before?

OK, no wobbles, no problems just better control. And, for the record Kitesquid, I have been riding for 42 years, so I tghink I have figured out how to ride a bike.

Hey Alex, are you coming to Dons maint day, I have been thinking about lowering mine, it would be nice to sit on yours and see what the difference is? That is if you would let me sit on your bike:whistling: Craig

Hi All,

Given the backorder mentioned in the previous post, I should mention that the Baron's kit is actually a Race Tech product.

Might wanna Google them and check it out if Baron's is running behind or if you would rather just go to the source....

It's WORTH IT!

I am going to try to make it, but my work schedule is quite hectic. But if I make it you are welcome to sit on "the beast". I rode 180 miles yesterday evening (yes, food and a female WERE involved) and the bike felt like it was glued to the road. No wobbles or anything. Oh, it still doesn't like tar snakes, but what bike does???

:225:

After trying a few different configurations I have found that the best set up for me is the rear at stock, the front lowered one inch and the stock size tires. Absolutely no problems up to 90 MPH and I don't plan on going any higher. Slow speed stability has increased dramatically and U turns at slow speed are just about worry free. Best single thing I have done to the bike.

Number of years of experience does not equate to proficiency level.

I KNOW that I repeated the same mistakes over and over...

Number of years of experience does not equate to proficiency level.

I KNOW that I repeated the same mistakes over and over...

Maybe you made a mistake in when lowering your bike that caused the wobble, there seems to be several folks on this site who for one reason or another have lowered the front of their bikes and have had no problems. You seem to be the only one who has had a problem, not sure this gives you the knowledge of how the rest of us ride to determine whether or not we know how to ride. I lowered mine because it makes it easier to get on and off, I also plan to lower the back end this winter.

You are correct in saying years does not equate proficiency, however that can also be applied to wrenching as well as riding.

After trying a few different configurations I have found that the best set up for me is the rear at stock, the front lowered one inch and the stock size tires. Absolutely no problems up to 90 MPH and I don't plan on going any higher. Slow speed stability has increased dramatically and U turns at slow speed are just about worry free. Best single thing I have done to the bike.

That's exactly how it is for me - 100% improvement, and none of the squireliness reported on the narrow Avon!:cool10:

I lowered the front of "Rose's Road sofa" just before our trip to So. Utah and got back Sun. 5/25. I have the narrower front tire (new) and lowered the front by 5/8". The steering is much quicker/lighter feeling. I tried every thing I could think of to induce head shake, "tank slapper" and it did not happen. I have had the narrower front tire for several years and liked the improvement in slow speed handling. While teaching we do allot of slow speed maneuvers and thought I would see if lowering it would help make the exercises smoother. I like the change once I got the feel for it, 2 up and loaded maneuvering in the gas lines and parking lots was much easier and running down the road it takes a lighter touch. I am very happy with the change. The only thing is my rear shock started to leak after 1300 mi (73,000 mi on bike). I don't know if lowering the front had anything to do with it but very well could have. I pumped up the air and finished the trip with no handling problems at all. Now that we are home I will see how it feels unloaded and one up. ride safe Rod

Maybe you made a mistake in when lowering your bike that caused the wobble, there seems to be several folks on this site who for one reason or another have lowered the front of their bikes and have had no problems. You seem to be the only one who has had a problem, not sure this gives you the knowledge of how the rest of us ride to determine whether or not we know how to ride. I lowered mine because it makes it easier to get on and off, I also plan to lower the back end this winter.

You are correct in saying years does not equate proficiency, however that can also be applied to wrenching as well as riding.

You are quite correct.

I do not know what I could have done incorectly as I followed the factory service manual and my torque wrench set is calibrated. Is there something wrong in the procedure? If so, PLEASE tell us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to you and ride safely!!!!!

I had the wonderful opportunity to participate in the Riley Hospital for Children charity ride last weekend. Part of the ride was the chance to make a lap around the Indy raceway...I held a top speed of 115 mph most of the lap, 0 PSI in the front forks, and absolutely no wobble whatsoever. I will keep the mod as is.....

:225::225::225::225::225::225::225::225::225::225: