IGNORED

XVZ1200 not startin,only sparking on front two cylinders?

I can't get my XVZ1200 (1984 Venture Royal) running yet, I bought a non runner. I've taken the carbs out to give them a good clean, it looks like two of the cylinders aren't getting any petrol at all, they were totally dry. After trying to start the bike up I checked all the spark plugs again for a spark and only the front two are sparking, the two rear ones look like they aren't sparking at all, not even a weak spark. I've also bought another set of coils so I decided to change the two rear coils, and still no spark?

Squeeze will be on here overnite and probably give you an idea or 2. He's six hours ahead of us in Germany. Make sure your connections to the harness are good and clean.

Dan

Follow the 5 wire cable, from the Pick up coils ( mounted Under left side eng cover) as it goes to the 6 pin plug of the TCI.

About half way, just about under you left knee as you sit on the bike. There is a Pull apart plug.

Find this plug, open it, and clean the contacts. Also, make sure the wires don't pull out of the Pins inside the plug.

Also, Remove the Two Large Plugs from the TCI , unit, and clean all the pins.

Either of these two plugs could be causing your problem.

Good place to start, Let us know if this helps.

Hi,

first you have to ensure that there is proper Signal from the Coils.

Pull the Connector as George mentioned clean and then and measure them for Resistance of the Pickup Coils as the Manual states.

If you have no manual, you can download it from a Member here, the Links are in the 1Gen Tech Section.

If the Resistances on both Pickup Coils check out good, you should check those 5 Wires on the Connector Side to the TCI for Continuity or, if the Connector is in Place, the Resistances should read the same.

If this checks out fine, you can check if you have +12 Volt on both of the R/W Wires at the yellow Connectors of the rear Spark Coils against Ground. If this Checks out fine, the TCI is bad.

If you could blame Humidity or Water, you could open the Cover of the TCI and place the TCI in the Oven at 140° F for 6 Hours.

If this doesn't work out, an other TCI is in Order.