IGNORED

Packing the RSV for the road

rek58

Just wondering what everyone uses, if anything when you're going on a trip. Do you use the economy liners made by Glad or Hefty, whatever you might have available (gym bags, duffles, etc) that fits in the saddle bags or have you gone out and purchased the Yamaha liners that are suppose to go in there? Just kind of wondering what everyones thought were on the subject. What you've tried, what works, what doesn't.

Guest tx2sturgis

All my trips on the bike are solo, and I pack my clothes and overnite stuff in a T-bag, and all the stuff that stays on the bike, such as camping supplies, tools, chaps...all stay in the bags and trunk. The T-bag unstraps and comes into the motels, or if camping, into the tent with me.

Guest Dareman

Brian,

I am getting ready for a 2 week camping trip on my RSV.

What type of T-Bag do you have and where did you get it

Thanks!

I travel a lot for business on the bike. I can normally get a weeks worth of business clothes and essentials in a gym bag that I lay across the back seat. Take a luggage strap around the bag and through the luggage rack, then a bungie on each side around the grab bars hooking onto the bag's loops for the shoulder strap. Fits snug and works well as long as I remember to put the laptop in the trunk before strapping down.

I used generic canvas bags in the saddlebags for several years, and nothing special in th trunk. Then I bought trunk and bag liners - very impressed with them and wish I had done it sooner. One special note: do not buy the trunk liner made for the RSV - I bought the JCW trunk liner for the Harley Tour Pak, and it fits PERFECTLY! When fully packed, it looks a lot bigger than our trunk, but it slips righ in. The only thing you need to remember is to leave a little extra room at the rear top by the zipper to account for the slope in the trunk lid. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I just returned from a 7 day trip from here through New Mexico to Holbrook, Az. then down to Mesa, back East to Las Cruces, El Paso and Van Horn before turning back up through Odessa, Lubbock, Amarillo and back home. I used the liners for the bags and trunk and well as a roll bag on the luggage rack on top of the trunk. We stay in KOA's along the way because they have a place to wash clothes. One saddle bag did not have any clothes in it, only tools etc. in the event anyone needed them.

Guest tx2sturgis
Brian,

I am getting ready for a 2 week camping trip on my RSV.

What type of T-Bag do you have and where did you get it

Thanks!

Hey Al, this is the T-bag called the Dresser Backseat Bag. It is for riding SOLO on a large touring bike with trunk and trunk rack...only! No other situations at all.

Ive included a couple of pics, one is from when the bike was brand new, and the other is showing my bike as it is now...either way, you can see how the bag works.

I have since added a little pad to the bag, adding some back support. Its actually designed for a Harley touring bike, so its a tad small for the larger seat that is on the Venture. It has straps and buckles to fit your passenger grab rail and the trunk rack.

http://www.tbags.com/detail.aspx?ID=3&SelectedCat=4

J&P...Dennis Kirk, eGlide Goodies...they all sell it.

I had written to the company to tell them about my expericence with the bag. They did not know about it working on a Venture, until I told them it would. They have updated their description to reflect my input. These are not cheap, but they are very well made...mine is going on 5 years old...still works perfect...no flaws at all.

Let me know if you order one!

Just throw it all in the Sidecar :080402gudl_prv:

Or the trailer!

When we had only one bike....I would get one saddlebag and she would get the other. Trunk was for bike stuff.

I did carry one sleeping bag on the trunk rack as well but that was not for camping that was for the cabin. The sleeping bag (and sheet) was placed into a plastic garbage bag and then into its carrier.

The other clothes went into venture line saddle bag bags. It should stay dry.

I have to admit that after that one long trip, I wasnt long getting a trailer though! Much easier specially if camping.

Come to think about it , I still have 4 or 5 sets left at the shop I made .

BEER30

I can personally vouch for these bags. You will be amazed at how much you can fit into that trunk bag. When I got the bags from Beer30 I looked at it and said it was too big for the trunk, Gene said nope it fits perfectly. I got home, stuffed it full of the wifes couch pillows (don't tell her) and looked at and said "ain't no way that's fitting in the trunk" went outside and my Son asked what I was doing and I said. I'm gonna put this into the trunk of the bike, he laughed and said no way. Well I'm here to tell you Beer30 is a lot of things, crazy being one, but he ain't no liar. That bag was stuffed full of pillows and it fit perfectly. I went on an 8 day trip to Florida and carried everything I needed in that bag and one of his saddle bag liners.

Money well spent in my book.

Hey Al, this is the T-bag called the Dresser Backseat Bag. It is for riding SOLO on a large touring bike with trunk and trunk rack...only! No other situations at all.

Ive included a couple of pics, one is from when the bike was brand new, and the other is showing my bike as it is now...either way, you can see how the bag works.

I have since added a little pad to the bag, adding some back support. Its actually designed for a Harley touring bike, so its a tad small for the larger seat that is on the Venture. It has straps and buckles to fit your passenger grab rail and the trunk rack.

http://www.tbags.com/detail.aspx?ID=3&SelectedCat=4

J&P...Dennis Kirk, eGlide Goodies...they all sell it.

I had written to the company to tell them about my expericence with the bag. They did not know about it working on a Venture, until I told them it would. They have updated their description to reflect my input. These are not cheap, but they are very well made...mine is going on 5 years old...still works perfect...no flaws at all.

Let me know if you order one!

I used one of those T-bags going to Myrtle Beach last year. You can sure get a lot into them. My problem was that I can't throw my leg over just the drivers seat very easy. Took it down empty and brought it back full. This year I have to take my trailer down. My wife has plans on spending all my money this time.

Here's the one my brother uses on the back seat of his RSV (and Honda Refrigerator). IT is the most impressive bag of this type I have ever seen. It's a bit expensive, but if I was in the market for one, this is the one I would buy. The bag has straps that easily secure to the passenger grab rails; nothing else is necessary. Here's a lik to more info from Kuryakyn's web site: http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=3130

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

Here's the one my brother uses on the back seat of his RSV (and Honda Refrigerator). IT is the most impressive bag of this type I have ever seen. It's a bit expensive, but if I was in the market for one, this is the one I would buy. The bag has straps that easily secure to the passenger grab rails; nothing else is necessary. Here's a lik to more info from Kuryakyn's web site: http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=3130

Goose

I own this bag. I bought it before my trip to Utah last fall. It works great, and fit everything I needed for 9 days on the road. Since the RSTD doesn't have a trunk, I used this instead. Fits onto the luggage rack on behind the passenger backrest and ties down very nicely. (I use the luggage rack that mounts onto the bike fender, not the flimsy one that fits on the removable RSTD back rest.) The bag also has wheels and a strap style handle for dragging it into the motel. The zippers are semi-water tight, and it comes with a rain cover also. This bag is worth the money. My favorite part was having room for some size 14 tennis shoes to put my tired dogs in for the evening, or when I was not traveling. After using this bag I gave up on the idea of fitting a tour pack on the RSTD. If Yamaha updates the Venture I may go that route someday, but this bag gives me the room if I need it.

Just wondering what everyone uses, if anything when you're going on a trip. Do you use the economy liners made by Glad or Hefty, whatever you might have available (gym bags, duffles, etc) that fits in the saddle bags or have you gone out and purchased the Yamaha liners that are suppose to go in there? Just kind of wondering what everyones thought were on the subject. What you've tried, what works, what doesn't.

I bought and use the bags from JC Whitney both the saddle bag linner and the trunk bag. Both work good and are worth the money. they are about 1/2 the price of Yama's.

Guest BluesLover
I got 3 of these... you can buy them at just about any bike shop 7-12 bucks

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Q8YERYWWL.jpg

I use the saddlebag inserts and trunk insert, and a Kuryakin trunk rack bag ... and I also use 3 of those, but I'm cheap ... I went to The Dollar Store and bought them for a buck a piece!

Picture below reflects what she looks like when she's good and packed.

Cheers,

Hey Stoutman,

The RSTD looks real good all packed up for a trip.

Here is my 86VR packed for a trip. Nothing fancy about my bags though:whistling:

I bought a pack of those huge zip lock bags to haul home some big salmon home that I caught last year, and found that they will hold a sleeping bag--BIG!

Now I keep a couple in the bags just in case.

Steve