IGNORED

Non MC related. GM finally did it.

CaseyJ955

I read this morning that GM is going to move the engine rearward in the Vette' for 2020. The prototype is pretty slick looking from the rear and rear-side. I'm no fan of GM by any stretch but this should be very cool move for an American auto mfr. I'm guessing they are trying to make an affordable Ford GT, which I think is likely to be a successful move. The GT is delicious but a bit exclusive and not cheap at all.

They are being compared to a 911 in a couple of the readings this morning, which is brazen considering a 911 is a true born and bred sports car. Apples/Oranges. There is no way to compare a 911 to anything domestic, this is where raw numbers are only a sliver of the overall makings of a true sports car vs muscle car. Looks like early figures have the numbers comparable though, thats no small feat. It will be interesting to see where this goes and if they improve the cars face a bit before production. Looks like a very solid start and possibly quite a credit to American go-fast-ism. Cool to see an affordable domestic mid-engine rocket, the affordable part was missing from Fords equation. I definitely have a strong bias towards Porsche so I'll stop here. Just thought it was a bit of cool and long overdue news for car nuts of all persuasions.

https://www.kotatv.com/content/news/New-mid-engine-Corvette-starts-under-60000-512930791.html

When I was just a very young driver back in the early 70's a guy near my home town decided to open an exotic auto lot that featured the then new to the market = Pantera mid engine sports cars.. WOWZY WOW WOW WOW were they GORGEOUS and AWESOME machines!! Because of affordability I had to stick with my Mach 1 but would have loved to owned such a magnificant machine. The mid engine weight distribution was nothing short of magical in handling and talk about PURDY (oopss, already said that didnt I).. Even though it took a good while, I too commend GM for taking the plunge = I gotta hunch this is gonna be big!!

Thanks Casey for the link!!

I read this morning that GM is going to move the engine rearward in the Vette' for 2020. The prototype is pretty slick looking from the rear and rear-side. I'm no fan of GM by any stretch but this should be very cool move for an American auto mfr. I'm guessing they are trying to make an affordable Ford GT, which I think is likely to be a successful move. The GT is delicious but a bit exclusive and not cheap at all.

They are being compared to a 911 in a couple of the readings this morning, which is brazen considering a 911 is a true born and bred sports car. Apples/Oranges. There is no way to compare a 911 to anything domestic, this is where raw numbers are only a sliver of the overall makings of a true sports car vs muscle car. Looks like early figures have the numbers comparable though, thats no small feat. It will be interesting to see where this goes and if they improve the cars face a bit before production. Looks like a very solid start and possibly quite a credit to American go-fast-ism. Cool to see an affordable domestic mid-engine rocket, the affordable part was missing from Fords equation. I definitely have a strong bias towards Porsche so I'll stop here. Just thought it was a bit of cool and long overdue news for car nuts of all persuasions.

https://www.kotatv.com/content/news/New-mid-engine-Corvette-starts-under-60000-512930791.html

That announcement was all over the last Barrett Jackson Auction where they auctioned off the last front engined C7 for 2.7 million. Not bad for a 66 yr. run.... However... If they are still using the Suburban name tag, it has been around a lot longer than that. I agree the new middy is cool looking, and just another Detroit product I won't be able to get my long legged..fat ass... into.

I have seen stories on the mid engine Vette also recently, I seem to recall them promising a mid engine Vette back maybe in the 70's or 80's , those never came about, so although I would like to see one, I am not holding my breath, and I am also sure I will not be able to afford one either :mo money::mo money:.

I am a bit of a purest at heart and agree with an old friend of mine that told me long ago that real sports cars did not have automatic transmissions and did not have roll up windows, not sure anyone is making those kinds any more.

It was unveiled this week. Here is a story from this morning on Fox News. I think it's a fantastic looking car and is supposed to start around the same price as the old model. I've never owened a vet and just barely have had a desire to but I would love to have this one. It is certainly outside my price range though.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/2020-chevrolet-corvette-revealed-with-mid-engine-design-bargain-price

I had a 78 or 79 back in the 80's somewhere. A whole 175bhp woooo It was OK and fun for awhile. I forget which model but the big ugly one the front end flipped up, was rumored to orginaly have been sketched up to be mid engine. And looking at the body I could see it. 2Q==9c2d060f2fdbbd6b560ba9d09fc72a11.jpg