IGNORED

When did you know

Red Ryder

The title to this thread is 'when did you know'..... ~The time to trike the scoot~. The best advice I can pass on is do it before you think you need it. Lots of things come into play and the longer you keep putting it off, the less use you're going to get out of your investment. So if you even give it a passing thought... that's the time. Keep putting it off and by the time it really becomes a neccessity it's too late. Age wise it's probably when you turn 65. I know a lot of you will go Arg..Arg..Arg!!, and say not me. But believe me when you hit that 70 year 'wall' everything starts going down hill. No one lives forever and father time takes his toll. In my case I kept doing the summer long distance rides, and each time I'd say it was my last hurrah. Then I'd be back doing another the next summer.. Repeating the declaration... By the time I got around to trikeing a scoot it was too late and now it sits. Bad knee, heart attacks, bad back, colon surgery, plus the mental desire to CTFW. Although I do have a nice cane collection started... :-) LOL.... I'm 77, soon to be 78, and lately all I can think about is making it around the block this summer on the trike.

The title to this thread is 'when did you know'..... ~The time to trike the scoot~. The best advice I can pass on is do it before you think you need it. Lots of things come into play and the longer you keep putting it off, the less use you're going to get out of your investment. So if you even give it a passing thought... that's the time. Keep putting it off and by the time it really becomes a neccessity it's too late. Age wise it's probably when you turn 65. I know a lot of you will go Arg..Arg..Arg!!, and say not me. But believe me when you hit that 70 year 'wall' everything starts going down hill. No one lives forever and father time takes his toll. In my case I kept doing the summer long distance rides, and each time I'd say it was my last hurrah. Then I'd be back doing another the next summer.. Repeating the declaration... By the time I got around to trikeing a scoot it was too late and now it sits. Bad knee, heart attacks, bad back, colon surgery, plus the mental desire to CTFW. Although I do have a nice cane collection started... :-) LOL.... I'm 77, soon to be 78, and lately all I can think about is making it around the block this summer on the trike.

Good point Jack, may I add that when and if a feller would move over to a trike, it takes a while to learn and then enjoy the new ride. The older one gets, the longer that takes, if it comes at all. But do it young enough, while there is still time on your side, then you'll enjoy the new ride much better, and can still enjoy riding into the sunset.

Good point Jack, may I add that when and if a feller would move over to a trike, it takes a while to learn and then enjoy the new ride. The older one gets, the longer that takes, if it comes at all. But do it young enough, while there is still time on your side, then you'll enjoy the new ride much better, and can still enjoy riding into the sunset.

Yep, I thought about that too, when Yamerdan had his accident. Hop on a trike and overcoming everything you've built into your motorskills over many years on two wheels and it'll get you into trouble very quick. Takes a different mindset...and time in the saddle...

In the 5+ years that Linda and I rode together, we both loved it. She was a great passenger and we had a lot of adventures and fun together, even towing the camper. About a year before we quit riding, we were on a narrow paved railroad bed that had been part of the Tweetsie Railroad many years ago. When the pavement ended, I was barely moving and touched my front brake and did not realize I was on some fine gravel and it caused us to do a slow tip over. Neither of us got hurt, but when I picked up the bike, and being type II diabetic for 30+ years, I ended up having a massive vitreous hemorrhage with half of my vision black in my right eye the next morning. I had surgery, that turned into a detached retina and then more vessel problems that ended up with a small window of distorted vision. But, we still rode for another year.

Then one day Linda told me that as much as she loved to ride, she was just not comfortable being on the bike. Not from discomfort, but just being with traffic with so many people not paying much attention to their driving and having several close calls. I rode a few times after that, but just did not enjoy riding solo that much.

I considered trikeing a 1500 Goldwing that I have, but for what is was going to cost, I added one more wheel than a trike and bought two Miatas. They have been a wonderful alternative to riding a big bike and for those that just don't want a trike or don't want to spend the money a trike cost, it is a good option.

Randy

I have always thought the Miata would be an excellent alternative to 2 or 3 wheels. I like the looks of the older ones better. They remind me of the Triumph TR3 that was a blast to drive.

Thanks again Bob, Jack, McCarl, Leroy.

In the past few days I've ran across a few good deals.

I have been talking trike for a few years now, sorta why I bought a sidecar, that and Grandchildren.

Doctors said my mind is young but my body after all my injuries is getting old. I feel it right now at -18 degrees at about 11 pm. like I was run over by a train.

Funny, this cold and still talking motorcycles.

Jack, I believe you are correct to learn and enjoy while young enough. I have a few friends within 10 years of me already moved to trike. Time will tell, Later-

I've seen several comments about knees. Traded in my hot rod for and SUV for that reason, just last week. As soon as the weather stabilizes in few weeks (i'm in Florida) going to try the bike again and see if that's contributing to the knee issue. If so it will go bye bye. I decided along time ago when i can't ride two wheels i'll stick with 4. gonna skip the whole trike thing!

Of course dancing with my sweetie twice a month may be part of the problem, but I aint giving that up!! Tequila and Alieve get me through the night.

Triking does not necessarily follow the progression of aging. Folks of all ages buy trikes for various reasons. Some like the looks, safety, comfort, reliability, being with other trikers, etc. As for the four-wheel option, everyone has a car(s), so that option is always there. Folks can ride two wheels until they are no longer fit and go directly to four wheels. Trikes are not wheel chairs for those who cannot ride two wheels. Instead, trikes are an alternative mode of travel and provide association with other bikers, that is not possible with four wheels.

In my case, bought new RSV when I retired in 2010. This was my first touring bike, and found it to be quite heavy. I was very fit, and was able to renovate our home and landscape our yard. However, my wife was concerned about my lack of confidence, and so was I. Chose to trike our RSV, and never regretted it. Have met many folks and had many adventures on my trike. Starting at 62, was fit to make many trips around the country, and at 71, dream of more adventures. Traveled all over the western US and Canada on four wheels, but it is not the same as being on my trike and socializing with fellow bikers. More and more folks are buying RV's with toy haulers and are traveling the country. We have no place to store a RV, nor are we ready to sell our home to go full-time RV. Prefer to ride my trike, most times solo.

My trike has brought me so much happiness and so many friends. Cannot imagine retirement without these experiences! Best of all, my journey continues!

P.S. I have good knees.

kiss (2).jpg

Edited by leo3wheel

3B20E6E5-BC48-4481-8856-851F7657D19C.jpgStarted riding trikes when I started having dizziness issues,that was 6 years ago and now with a bone on bone hip I’m glad I did. A bonus for me was that the wife wouldn’t ride 2 wheels but she loves the trike,always ready to go. I think once you get used to the trike you’ll never look back!

Leo, you are so right. Three wheels is just a good alternative to enjoying the open road.

My buddy, 72, probably needs a trike but has this thing about they are not as manly. I told him BS. Who are we trying to impress at our age.

Leo, you are so right. Three wheels is just a good alternative to enjoying the open road.

My buddy, 72, probably needs a trike but has this thing about they are not as manly. I told him BS. Who are we trying to impress at our age.

For one of my cancer surgeries I had to have a colonoscopy and have my colon filled with air and filled with barium (or something like that) for some picture takin. Imagine the thrill I felt when I walked into the dark colon room where I would lay on my side and have a funnel with an air line coupler attached to it stuck in yonder region to find a young women who was part of our Church deer hunting camp many years ago as a teenager.. She looked at the surprise on my face and said - Mr. B, if you are uncomfortable with me doing this procedure dont be afraid to say something, we can reschedule your procedure with a different Radiologist. I looked right at her and said EXACTLY those words Leroy!!:thumbsup::missingtooth:

For one of my cancer surgeries I had to have a colonoscopy and have my colon filled with air and filled with barium (or something like that) for some picture takin. Imagine the thrill I felt when I walked into the dark colon room where I would lay on my side and have a funnel with an air line coupler attached to it stuck in yonder region to find a young women who was part of our Church deer hunting camp many years ago as a teenager.. She looked at the surprise on my face and said - Mr. B, if you are uncomfortable with me doing this procedure dont be afraid to say something, we can reschedule your procedure with a different Radiologist. I looked right at her and said EXACTLY those words Leroy!!:thumbsup::missingtooth:

Dang!! For me they just put me under and did what they needed to do. I was out cold and didn't care.. :-). Last thing I remember is listening to Zydeco music... They found the tumor and I don't remember passing any gas in recovery?? I just got a call from the Gastrology dept that I'm due for a 5 year check up, so they're going in again.... Looking at sometime in April.. I'll ask for Zydeco again. Probably the only guy that likes that stuff.... Must be the Cajun in me?? :-)

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115396Started riding trikes when I started having dizziness issues,that was 6 years ago and now with a bone on bone hip I’m glad I did. A bonus for me was that the wife wouldn’t ride 2 wheels but she loves the trike,always ready to go. I think once you get used to the trike you’ll never look back!

Thanks Gary, really like the color of your trike. Feel wife would be happier on trike, and easy to get used to.

I started to get a little tipsy when i would come to a stop 2 up.

I built my 1986 Trike in 2005 understanding some day I will be riding it.

My wife and I have all the lower 48 states and all the provinces of Canada that hit the USA from 1992 all from Wisconsin no trailer.

Loved two wheels but I would never go back after getting use to the trike. So much easier on my body. But the time came and pulled out the 1986 and sold my 2006 Yamaha Venture

trike rear fender 2 side of trike.jpg