IGNORED

Puc and Tips: Fun With Guns thread! Sharing ours and hopefully you will share yours!

cowpuc

I just got a brain storm that deals with gun storage in safes.... I've spent a lot of years in the boating industry. How does that relate to guns?? Hang in there, I'll get to that... One of the big problems on a boat in a marina is electrolysis. So many owners will hang a sacrificial zink over the side, since it's the lowest on the Nobility Scale, to attract stray electrical currents from attacking thru hulls, OB props, brass props, etc. So I got to thinkin'... Why not take a small piece of raw steel, set it on an old saucer, and put it on a shelf in the gun safe. Check it when the safe is opened for any rusting. If it rusting right away you've got humidity problems. If it's not your good to go and no need to inspect every gun in there. If you don't have a safe? A closet will work as well... My 2¢

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm of the same mind. I figure puttinga light on a pistol just gives a low life something to aim at in the dark. I prefer luminous 3-dot sights.

re: another post here about the muzzle flash on your 7mm-08 hunting pistol when using factory ammo. Have you found a good fast burning powder for your reloads which minimizes the flash? just curious?

I do not know if there is a way to eliminate muzzle flash burning that much powder in that short of a barrel, but my hand loads do have less muzzle flash than the factory loads. I do not remember the recipe off hand, I make an effort to never remember recipes for loads. I have way to many powders in stock and different loads that I use, it could be catastrophic to mix it up. I will have to look it up when I get home if my feeble old brain that has CRS does manage to remember.

Here are some pics of my 10 inch Ruger MK2 that I mentioned earlier. This gun is still as delivered from the factory with the exception of the Pachmayer grips. It is a 10 inch bull target barrel. I have literally tens of thousands of rounds thru this gun. As I mentioned the extractor is so worn that it will not pull out a fired or unfired round, even just after cleaning and oiling. It does still function normally for firing. The extractor is not used to remove a shell as it is fired, it is the blow back that is doing the work, the extractor just gets it moving to the side to get out the port. Yes some day I will order a new extractor for it.

Ruger MK2-001.jpg

Ruger MK2-002.jpg

More unique toys to follow........

These are the .22LR shotgun shells that I use for mice in the house. They only have a lethal range for mice of about 12-15 feet maximum. The shot does not damage the paint or wood work in the house unless you are extremely close. You gotta be quick to see the mouse scurrying along a wall and then get the gun and get the shot off before the mouse can disappear. Typically a mouse not visible for more than a few seconds. Great practice for honing your reflexes. I only get 3 or 4 mice in the house a year.

The shell with the crimped top is the shot shell, it is loaded with #12 shot. Next to it is a Remington Thunderbolt shell. The #12 shot is so fine that you are not going to find the pellets on the floor after a shot. The shot shells are also fun when sitting around a campfire picking off assorted bugs that fly by.

22LR Shot Shell-001.jpg

Edited by Flyinfool

I like that pistol and the 312 shot/.22. I use Decon for my mice in the garage but never had them in the house.

:farmer:

DOPE!!!

I made it better.........

I have a dog (Rat Terrier) that thinks small rodents are delicious. Decon, or similar, is way to dangerous. Rat Terriers were bread to hunt rats, mice are just small rats and right there near the top of the menu.

Campfire and bugs reminds me of shooting trap at night under the lights at the Fresno Gun Club here in California. The club is located out of town in the midst of a bunch of tomato fields. The tomato moths are the size of B29's and would swarm around the flood lights. We used to see who could run 25 straight clay's plus a few moths thrown in for good measure.... :-)

I like the trap shooting part of the discussion. My father and uncle had a constrution business in west Omaha NE and 44 acres of land. The way back area from the road was just brome grass and always needed mowing. A bunch of shooters offered to maintain the grass inorder to build a trap range. It was pure heaven for me. This was 1964-1979 and we shot most every Sunday from late August to winter snow.

Thanks for bringing back the memories.

:farmer:

Got some range time today and zeroed the optics. I like the Vortex Crossfire

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190316/cddb0be87f0c029fb86e737674bd8cbd.jpg

OUTSTANDING SKIDDER:clap2::dancefool:!!! GOOD ON YA BROTHER:thumbsup2:!!

Now you KNOW what we gotta know now right? Ammo, brand/grain? Accuracy,, MOA,Sub-MOA? Distance tested?

THANKS FOR THE PIC Skid - looking good there IMHO!!:thumbsup2:

OUTSTANDING SKIDDER:clap2::dancefool:!!! GOOD ON YA BROTHER:thumbsup2:!!

Now you KNOW what we gotta know now right? Ammo, brand/grain? Accuracy,, MOA,Sub-MOA? Distance tested?

THANKS FOR THE PIC Skid - looking good there IMHO!!:thumbsup2:

I was shooting at 50 yards today using 55 grain solid brass bullet. Conditions were windy but sunny. The red dot is 2 MOA @ 100 so more like 1 MOA @50. Later

I will do more tweaking and test out at 100 yards. First time shooting the Vortex optic so after I got it sighted in I am satisfied with the accuracy. Shots were very well and few shots cut each other but mostly all within a 50 cent piece.

Thought I would pass this on, 762x39 @ 19 cents a round. Not sure if its still free ship time but I have bought ammo from these guys and they shipped free if ya bought bulk,, might be worth some lookin before ya head out cookin..

https://www.classicfirearms.com/ammunition/centerfire-rifle-ammo/7.62x39/?dir=asc&order=apr&stock=1

Remember the HUGE SKS gunshow sales back in the 80's/early 90's before Clinton cut em off? I do, I bought/sold and shot the living daylights of the inaccurate things. $80 a pop for a complete Military outfitted w/bayonette and complete Military cleaning kit (WOWZY WOW WOW WOW those were the days)! CASES of ammo were also $65,, of course,, a lop eared western quick draw gun fighter wanna be shooter varmint could also pick up a box of 22lr Blazers for 50 cents or a brick for 5 bucks too = DEFINITELY WOWZY WOW WOW WOW!! Back to the SK = fun shooter to play with but 12" groups were even hard to keep past 100 yards with the confounded things,,, at least with the several I owned.

Anyway,, take a look at what the cheap, affordable Chinese SKS prices of yesteryear have come to and remember - these are ON SALE and actually one of the lowest prices for an SKS seen in a longgg time!! Cool shooters but I still really like the more versatile, tunable, better lookin :178:AR Platform:missingtooth:

https://www.classicfirearms.com/chinese-sks-rifle-762x39/

Well now that you bring up the SKS.

I recently acquired three 50 cal ammo cans stuffed full of 7.62 x 39 ammo for my SKS that a non shooting friend found in the basement of their newly purchased house. FREE for the hauling. I think my tires might still be smoking a little.

My SKS was used in a TV news spot that was being done back when the "Assault Rifle Ban" was in the process of getting started. The reporter had taken pics of a group od "sporting" rifles, and a group of "Assault" rifles. My SKS was in the sporting group. Was he ever POed when he found out that he had fallen into the truth that the ONLY difference between a sporting rifle and an "assault" rifle was purely cosmetic. This all happened just a few days after I had completed the paint, and I just happened to be at the gun shop at that time because once I told them what I did they wanted to see it. At the time it still had a 10 round mag, now I have all 30 round.

Here is that nasty little SKS now.

SKS-001.jpg

SKS-002.jpg

Awww, you painted it so it won't look so scary to the liberals...

:happy65::rotfl: I thought the same thing Bongo :rotf:,,,, matter of fact,, when I first saw it I yelped at Tippy and said: LOOK HONEY,, JEFF MADE A RAINBOW!!!!!:happy34:

GOOD ONE Flyinfool!!:happy34:

Edited by cowpuc

I recently acquired three 50 cal ammo cans stuffed full of 7.62 x 39 ammo for my SKS that a non shooting friend found in the basement of their newly purchased house. FREE for the hauling. I think my tires might still be smoking a little.

My SKS was used in a TV news spot that was being done back when the "Assault Rifle Ban" was in the process of getting started. The reporter had taken pics of a group od "sporting" rifles, and a group of "Assault" rifles. My SKS was in the sporting group. Was he ever POed when he found out that he had fallen into the truth that the ONLY difference between a sporting rifle and an "assault" rifle was purely cosmetic. This all happened just a few days after I had completed the paint, and I just happened to be at the gun shop at that time because once I told them what I did they wanted to see it. At the time it still had a 10 round mag, now I have all 30 round.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115813

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115814

100% AWESOME FOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FREE AMMO? Yea,,, even the rubber on my tenner shoes woulda been shhhmoken on that one!!!!

Makes me just shake my head in wonderment when ever I hear the chatter claiming "this is an assault rifle,, sporting rifles are good,, assault rifles are bad" routine.. Funny how little the unknowing know about the things that they claim to know so much about aint it?,,, did say that right:scratchchin:

LOVE THE SHOOTER = brings back TONS of memories (minus the paint job = I like em nicked up and battle scarred - even with a little cosmoline still hangin from the bayonette lug :guitarist 2:- flaw in my charactor I reckon:confused24:

I do not buy guns as collection pieces, all of my guns get out to play regularly. This SKS is no exception, It regularly gets out, it was set up for fun and the paint was part of the fun, I had just bought my first airbrush and this was the first thing I ever painted. No it is not great and has a lot of flaws, but it was fun and I still have fun when I pull it out at the range. It had to have some kind of a paint finish since I added about 2.5 inches the butt of the stock to make it fit me better. I am a bit bigger than the average Chinese kid that it was designed to fit. The wood that I added of course did not match the wood that was already there so it did require an opaque finish. The bayonet mount was also permanently removed to make the removable mag mod legal at the time. Fortunately those laws have gone away, but I do not think I will ever have a need for a bayonet so I have no plans of putting the mount back to functional.

I also do have a scope mount that fits this gun, but it really did not help accuracy at all so I took it off. The gun its self is just not real accurate. But it will make a lot of bangs in a hurry which is fun too. If you hold the gun just right you can simulate full auto with no attachments, cranks or bump stocks or any other weird stuff needed.

That is a way cool AK... Got that pic saved to my misc gun pic file.... :thumbsup2:

I also am not a mil surp guy, this one just looked like fun to play with, it was cheap, and ammo was cheap (at the time) so I had some fun with it over a cold snowy winter back 15 years or so ago. I figure that if I burn it up doing a lot of rapid fire out of it, who cares. I am surprised at just how well that chromed bore is holding up. Many cases of ammo thru it and it still looks like a brand new bore.

Back when I first got this gun it was a period in my life where I was single and so I had everything delivered to my place of work so it would not get stolen off my front porch. It just so happened that I just had 2 cases of ammo delivered for this gun when my job was getting downsized out of existence. The company upper management knew that I brought home a deer every time I went hunting and knew that I spent a lot of time at the range honing my skills. All of upper management was in the front office drawing straws for who would have to tell me I was being laid off permanently. I was also always the one at almost every place I worked at that was always voted most likely to go postal. Because everyone knew that I had the skills and the equipment to do so.

AHHHhhhhhh........ The good old days..........

Wait till you see the next one from my collection of unusual guns waiting for me to do a wright up about. It is also treading on the edge of fun and Mil.

Wait till you see the next one from my collection of unusual guns waiting for me to do a wright up about. It is also treading on the edge of fun and Mil.

:178::178::178::178::178::178:,,,:icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker:,,, :178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178:,,,, :scratchchin:,, :icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker:,,, :sign cmon::ice_yaw-vi121414111

That just shows you how much I know about those cotton pickin' things.... So it's still cool.... I ain't much of a milsurp kinda guy...

I think I got blessed with what ever you didnt grab when the Lord was passing out the love for Mil Surp brother.. I have always loved the stuff. Back in the 80's I was managed at a College in Cadillac Michigan and not to far from the school was a full blown, Guv run Mil Surp outlet.. They had TONS of stuff, even some left over from all the way back to WW1 (not a lot = cool Dough Boy helmets though). Lots of WW2 vintage truck/trailers and even metal cutting equipment off ships and stuff. Gas masks, rubber rain suits,, crazy stuff.. I LOVED to walk the place. Ya had to have a Non-Prof Business "card" (issued by them) to even get into the place but it was fun..

I also worked with a guy here in Michigan who wanted to own the big stuff.. He worked around red tape by starting a Military Museum = WOWZY WOW WOW WOW did that open the doors to FUN!!!

Thinking about this,, here's a funny one Jack, not to long ago I had to go on a strict excersize program.. While down for the count, spending hours on the couch watching stuff on YouTube I picked up on folks into Treasure Hunting with Metal Detectors = bought Tip and I each one and set out on our treasure hunting excersize program.. Start at 4:20 on the time line in the video below to find out just how deeply my love for Mil Surp goes:dancefool::Laugh::

:178::178::178::178::178::178:,,,:icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker:,,, :178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178::178:,,,, :scratchchin:,, :icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker:,,, :sign cmon::ice_yaw-vi121414111

C'mon now Puc, You don't want all the goodies all at once do ya?

I has gots fer ta spread them out a bit, I don't have an unlimited number of unusual toys appropriate to share in this thread.

That made my poor eyes hurt........

I hear ya brother!!! Story behind the camera with a good case of the blurries,,,,, it's my biken camera - one of those puppies that has been dropped numerous times but has been the King of Survival while out CTFW so I have no problem carrying it off on manuvers with us.. Tip and I had been out in the swamp lands behind the Dunes of Muskegon State Park looking for a buried Army Tank with the sniffers - perferably a Sherman if we could find one.. At the bottom of hill was a fairly good sized mud hole that caught me as I slid down the hill. The Camera was in my right pocket which just happened to be the same side of my body I had slid on so it broke my slide and went face first into the mud hole. It's dried out now, still works fine but was obviously not totally dried out when I took that vid... Oh well,, I figured even a mud blurry video was better than no video :hihi::witch_brew::stickpoke::backinmyday: