IGNORED

16,000 mile check

--

Now I know that many riders are real sticklers for doing everything dictated by the OEMs, while others stretch everything they can. Some bikes are totally stock, use only branded items (I'm not talking HOG people here), and service even more often than recommendations.

I suppose I'm in the middle. I use the oil and filter I want, plugs I want, and even go Darkside on tires. Sometimes I do some extra things like upgrading some wiring or changing to an LED headlight. But when it comes to internal engine work I get the dealer's mechanic. I know my tools, time, talents.

I just found out today that the dealer wants about $1,600. and two days to do the OEM manual scheduled 16,000 mile check on my Eluder. These include some things like checking clutch, brakes, electrical parts, bearing lubing and more. My abilities would include being able to change oil/filter, change plugs, check/change battery, pull wheels for new tire mounting. Seems like my bike experience is that those items I mention I do are the most common things needed on any regular basis. I don't know how much I save by doing those regular things, I know I have some satisfaction from just them.

All this said, I believe I'm inclined to not have the dealer do his $1,600. checkover. I would then be hoping (praying if inclined and one thinks it would help) that those items he would do will last many, many miles before needing attention.

Any thoughts here?

--

I fall about where you do in the middle. I believe in maintaining my bike but I will not take it to a dealer to do the suggested maintenance. My bike did not get the suggested maintenance by the book at the mileage indicated. It now has 59,xxx and over time I have had things done such as grease the shaft splines, valve clearance, carb synch, etc. but never on the suggested mileage. I only did those when in the shop for other things such as new tires and they were done by an independent shop at considerably less cost than a dealer. If it was me, I wouldn't spend $1600 for what shouldn't need to be done anyway. Those book suggestions in my opinion are overkill. I have had no problems with my bike that book maintenance would have prevented.

I am a do it myself guy. Mainly because I dont like spending money on things I can do. And more than once here lately I have read threads of folks taking bikes to dealers and not getting the service they are paying for. usually it is the more labor intense stuff like valve adjustments ( a RSV 2nd gen fellow) a steering head bearing replacement (victory) and a swing arm bearing replacement. So my thoughts are do what you can. Document it if its under warranty. If you have a computer set up a file and scan receipts and take pictures like if you do bigger jobs like the valves with a time stamp.

--

Now I know that many riders are real sticklers for doing everything dictated by the OEMs, while others stretch everything they can. Some bikes are totally stock, use only branded items (I'm not talking HOG people here), and service even more often than recommendations.

I suppose I'm in the middle. I use the oil and filter I want, plugs I want, and even go Darkside on tires. Sometimes I do some extra things like upgrading some wiring or changing to an LED headlight. But when it comes to internal engine work I get the dealer's mechanic. I know my tools, time, talents.

I just found out today that the dealer wants about $1,600. and two days to do the OEM manual scheduled 16,000 mile check on my Eluder. These include some things like checking clutch, brakes, electrical parts, bearing lubing and more. My abilities would include being able to change oil/filter, change plugs, check/change battery, pull wheels for new tire mounting. Seems like my bike experience is that those items I mention I do are the most common things needed on any regular basis. I don't know how much I save by doing those regular things, I know I have some satisfaction from just them.

All this said, I believe I'm inclined to not have the dealer do his $1,600. checkover. I would then be hoping (praying if inclined and one thinks it would help) that those items he would do will last many, many miles before needing attention.

Any thoughts here?

--

The big items here @ 16K miles are Valve adjustment checks, swingarm relube, & neck-bearings relube. There are maint items and there is politics. If this were a Harley and you did not get maint done on time, or prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you did it yourself, then any future warranty claim in that particular area would be history. That is for two years on a current model year and one year on prior model years. So, in other words, if this were a Harley and you had problems with your Valves, swingarm, or front-end you would get to eat all future repairs yourself.

My RSV had 2 drops of grease placed on the neck bearings when built and was a little wobbly from the factory requiring a tightning down (like everybody else's that has one) as soon as I got it home new. Same story with lack of factory lubrication on the swingarm bearings as well. Yes, I did all the work myself because I can... and also, I took pictures to prove my work -if- ever the need comes up. My RSV is still in warranty today. If any "Factory" Technician searches the innards of my bike in an attempt to disqualify a warranty claim for "lack of maintenance" they will fail.

Now Yamaha... with the new Venture/Eluder has a 1 year warranty and a 4 Year Service Contract.

I dunno how a NEW Venture is put together but I am sure that if you make a claim for a frozen swingarm TWO years down the road, but have never had the swingarm serviced, cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you have serviced the swingarm yourself, and upon inspection the Tech finds nothing but rusty frozen bearings in egged-out mountings, then I bet all "warranty" will be shot out the door and you will be paying for the whole thing yourself.

The big items here @ 16K miles are Valve adjustment checks, swingarm relube, & neck-bearings relube. There are maint items and there is politics. If this were a Harley and you did not get maint done on time, or prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you did it yourself, then any future warranty claim in that particular area would be history. That is for two years on a current model year and one year on prior model years. So, in other words, if this were a Harley and you had problems with your Valves, swingarm, or front-end you would get to eat all future repairs yourself.

My RSV had 2 drops of grease placed on the neck bearings when built and was a little wobbly from the factory requiring a tightning down (like everybody else's that has one) as soon as I got it home new. Same story with lack of factory lubrication on the swingarm bearings as well. Yes, I did all the work myself because I can... and also, I took pictures to prove my work -if- ever the need comes up. My RSV is still in warranty today. If any "Factory" Technician searches the innards of my bike in an attempt to disqualify a warranty claim for "lack of maintenance" they will fail.

Now Yamaha... with the new Venture/Eluder has a 1 year warranty and a 4 Year Service Contract.

I dunno how a NEW Venture is put together but I am sure that if you make a claim for a frozen swingarm TWO years down the road, but have never had the swingarm serviced, cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you have serviced the swingarm yourself, and upon inspection the Tech finds nothing but rusty frozen bearings in egged-out mountings, then I bet all "warranty" will be shot out the door and you will be paying for the whole thing yourself.

This is my 4th Yamaha over the last 35 years. The first 3 were not new and were not very reliable but I know of Yamahas reputation even though that has not been my experience so I bought my 4th one brand new. My previous bike was a Honda Goldwing that I had for 9 years and 125k miles. I changed oils, fluids and tires and brakes. I fully expect this Yamaha to be the same or it will be gone. I do my own servicing as I will not spend thousands of dollars at a dealer for work I can perform. I write it in the manual but don't keep records as you do not have to prove that you did proper servicing, Yamaha would have to prove you did not.

... I do my own servicing as I will not spend thousands of dollars at a dealer for work I can perform. I write it in the manual but don't keep records as you do not have to prove that you did proper servicing, Yamaha would have to prove you did not.

... the Tech finds nothing but rusty frozen bearings in egged-out mountings, then I bet all "warranty" will be shot out the door and you will be paying for the whole thing yourself.

... the Tech finds nothing but rusty frozen bearings in egged-out mountings, then I bet all "warranty" will be shot out the door and you will be paying for the whole thing yourself.
I would agree but if my bearings are rusty and mounts are egged-out after a couple of years than Yamaha has failed to design and build a quality machine. I would pay the repair myself and never own another Yamaha. I greased the swingarm on my Wing around 5 years and 70,000 miles...it was fine.

Bucfan, I'm guessing your dealership would be Sky Powersports Lakeland over on Kathline. I can tell you from my experience with my now out of production Victory, those guys have been nothing but first rate with me. I hvae not had a lot of service done there, but they have always been up front and helpful. I trust them to do what they say they will.

Bucfan, I'm guessing your dealership would be Sky Powersports Lakeland over on Kathline. I can tell you from my experience with my now out of production Victory, those guys have been nothing but first rate with me. I hvae not had a lot of service done there, but they have always been up front and helpful. I trust them to do what they say they will.

I did not purchase from them as they would not match the price I bought mine for but if there is any warranty work to be done it would be with them. Good to know they are trustworthy. Thanks for the info.

I would agree but if my bearings are rusty and mounts are egged-out after a couple of years than ...

... it points out for sure that the vehicle has not been serviced according to manufacturers recommendations.

If the vehicle were serviced according to specs then dry bearings could have been caught either by you or the dealer and that little snafu solved before it turned nasty and did damage. Everything that happens after the fact is just posturing trying to obscure the facts that nobody did the work and somebody is trying to justify not doing the work, not spending the time, or not spending the money, for their own reasons.

I am not trying to be a butthole here. But Yamaha publishes a maintenance schedule for a variety of reasons. One of the reasons is to catch little things before they turn into big things. Also, this is the 1st Yamaha with a 1 year warranty and a 4 year service policy, which is, legally, much different than a 5 year warranty and I would advise to tread lightly in that arena.

You have just dropped 25 large on a hobby knowing full well there are ongoing costs involved to continue. @RonK asked, "What do you think?" to which my reply is, At Least For The ENTIRE First Year, Or At Least Until All Major Systems Have Been Serviced Through At Least The The Very First Service Of That PARTICULAR Component or The Second Year if Less Than 20,000 Miles has Accrued By The End Of The Second Year, I Would ADHERE VERY CLOSELY To The Yamaha Scheduled Maintenance Guide. If You Are Qualified To Perform The Work, Then By All Means DO SO, Otherwise Plan On Paying To Have The Work Done.

--

Du-Rron,

Okay, so you say that if nothing else, you suggest the tech checks the (1) valve adjustment, (2) swingarm re-lube, (3) neck bearing re-lube. Is there anything else that is an absolute? I just don't want to get near the $1,600. estimate for all the stuff listed in the owner's manual.

I don't know how much of those things I can do. Never done any of them before.

--

--

Du-Rron,

Okay, so you say that if nothing else, you suggest the tech checks the (1) valve adjustment, (2) swingarm re-lube, (3) neck bearing re-lube. Is there anything else that is an absolute? I just don't want to get near the $1,600. estimate for all the stuff listed in the owner's manual.

--

Ok, starting on page 9-3 through 9-8 of the owners manual lists everything that is supposed to be serviced. The big time consuming items, (on any bike not just this one) is the valves, swingarm, and neck-bearings because they take the most time. At 16,000 miles or 2 years (whichever comes 1st) on this particular bike, these items need a servicing by the book. I bet the dealership is pricing you $1,600 pretty close for just those three things. Those three things take the most time because you have to take all the plastic off the bike and the bike must be supported by a lift since it is missing one or more wheels at the same time. All the other items on pages 9-3 through 9-8 take no time at all (cept maybe for the throttle body synch... just a few minutes). What is their posted hourly labor rate. My dealers posted hourly labor rate is $130.00 per hour. If this were my dealer they would be looking to charge you 12 hours labor, or 1 and a half days. The only person here I know of that has had all the plastic on and off is @Freebird. Maybe he can jump in here and enlighten us as to what it takes to get that done. Now, keep in mind, just taking the plastic on and off does not include getting the front end off to clean/inspect/grease the bearings - new seals, or get the swingarm off to clean/inspect/grease the bearings and yup for sure NEW seals. No way a dealer should reuse old seals no matter how new they are when the are charging book pricing. Or, getting the lids off to check the valves, and yes, even here, unless speced by Yamaha as reusable, new valve cover gaskets.

You might want to ask them to reconsider their pricing to see if you can get a lower price from them.

As for you doing the work, only you know you best. If you are mechanically sharp and can set aside three times the amount of time it would normally take and be prepared to take it really slowly and carefully you will be fine. Do you have the space, decent hand tools, and a means to safely raise at least one end of the bike completely off the ground several inches without damaging anything on the bike or you? Have you invested in a Service Manual. There is a free one floating around here somewhere.

We are all about the exchange of information here. The work you would be performing I have not done on this particular bike before, but I, and others like me, have done this kind of thing on similar bikes and most probably would be able to help talk you out of situation should you get into a bind.

The answer to your question is yes. I would recommend to have the valves, swingarm, and neck serviced either by you or the dealer if you have 16,000 miles on your bike. If your going to get the dealership to do it, make it a part of the deal that they do all listed 16,000 mile checks as listed in the owners manual starting on page 9-3 through 9-8 FOR FREE since they have all the plastic off and are in there anyway.

--

Du-Rron,

--

I don't have the mechanical knowledge to debate this issue with anyone but I will add this. My mechanic worked in a Yamaha motorcycle shop as their head mechanic for 20 years and the last time I had my bike in his shop about a month ago for a new tire to mount I asked him about repacking the swing arm and neck bearing and his reply was "unless you are riding in dusty conditions for an extended time they shouldn't need it". As stated above, my bike is an 06 RSV with 59,xxx miles. He has been very knowledgeable on any previous work he has done for me so I'm trusting his judgment.

... My mechanic worked in a Yamaha motorcycle shop as their head mechanic for 20 years and the last time I had my bike in his shop about a month ago for a new tire to mount I asked him about repacking the swing arm and neck bearing and his reply was "unless you are riding in dusty conditions for an extended time they shouldn't need it". As stated above, my bike is an 06 RSV with 59,xxx miles. He has been very knowledgeable on any previous work he has done for me so I'm trusting his judgment.

Let me get this straight.

Your mechanic, that has been employed at the dealership for the past twenty years, and that I suppose has worked on your bike for the past thirteen years, told you that, "... it would be pointless to check the swingarm bearings on your THIRTEEN YEAR OLD BIKE that has 60 thousand miles on it, ( that has, I suppose, never had the swingarm serviced up to this point at all, by this or any other mechanic ) ... unless you are/have been/or have decided to start riding in -dusty conditions- ."

Do I have that all correct?

Let me get this straight.

Your mechanic, that has been employed at the dealership for the past twenty years, and that I suppose has worked on your bike for the past thirteen years, told you that, "... it would be pointless to check the swingarm bearings on your THIRTEEN YEAR OLD BIKE that has 60 thousand miles on it, ( that has, I suppose, never had the swingarm serviced up to this point at all, by this or any other mechanic ) ... unless you are/have been/or have decided to start riding in -dusty conditions- ."

Do I have that all correct?

Yes Du-Rron, you seem to be able to grasp the English language. While I appreciate your diligence to proper maintenance and won't debate the issue with you as previously stated and I know where you are headed with this. I'm sure your reply will be something such as "well I'd be changing mechanics!" Let me ask you this, do you have vehicles with over 50,000 miles on them that have never had the wheel bearings repacked? If so, why not? What about the steering bearings, even if they book doesn't recommend it they need to be done. If they have been repacked then you are a member of the less than 5% club in this country. It would be interesting to run a survey on here and see how many have actually had their swingarm and steering bearings repacked and how many that have not have ever had a problem. My guess is that it will be less than 50% that have had that work done. I do appreciate you attention to detail and you may be correct. If I have a problem I'm man enough to get back on this site and give owners a warning about getting that work done. Until then, I'll trust my mechanic. As the miles grow he may tell me it is time to do both and if so, I'll have them done. Have a good day and happy riding.

Yes Du-Rron, you seem to be able to grasp the English language. While I appreciate your diligence to proper maintenance and won't debate the issue with you as previously stated and I know where you are headed with this. I'm sure your reply will be something such as "well I'd be changing mechanics!" Let me ask you this, do you have vehicles with over 50,000 miles on them that have never had the wheel bearings repacked? If so, why not? What about the steering bearings, even if they book doesn't recommend it they need to be done. If they have been repacked then you are a member of the less than 5% club in this country. It would be interesting to run a survey on here and see how many have actually had their swingarm and steering bearings repacked and how many that have not have ever had a problem. My guess is that it will be less than 50% that have had that work done. I do appreciate you attention to detail and you may be correct. If I have a problem I'm man enough to get back on this site and give owners a warning about getting that work done. Until then, I'll trust my mechanic. As the miles grow he may tell me it is time to do both and if so, I'll have them done. Have a good day and happy riding.

Giggle.....:big-grin-emoticon:

Let me ask you this, do you have vehicles with over 50,000 miles on them that have never had the wheel bearings repacked? If so, why not? What about the steering bearings, even if they book doesn't recommend it they need to be done. If they have been repacked then you are a member of the less than 5% club in this country. It would be interesting to run a survey on here and see how many have actually had their swingarm and steering bearings repacked and how many that have not have ever had a problem. My guess is that it will be less than 50% that have had that work done.

I thought I would give you some time to cool off.

In my everyday life I am a professional (I actually get paid to do this stuff) mechanic. I work on some really neat stuff (not motorcycles for a living though) and I have been at this most all my life.

Anyway, to let you know just how fastidiously anal I really am... I even change out the brake fluid on my cars every two years. Even some of my co-workers don't do that and they work beside me daily.

In my everyday life I am a professional (I actually get paid to do this stuff) mechanic. I work on some really neat stuff (not motorcycles for a living though) and I have been at this most all my life.

Anyway, to let you know just how fastidiously anal I really am... I even change out the brake fluid on my cars every two years. Even some of my co-workers don't do that and they work beside me daily.

My issue with this is that I expect Yamaha to be just as reliable as my Honda which I did not put thousands of dollars into every year. I do agree Yamaha could refuse warranty if my swingarm had issues and it was never serviced but would they? What if it failed at 16,001 miles, could they refuse warranty then? How about at 17,000 miles? I could replace the swingarm parts for the amount of money a dealership wants for the service. I'll check the swingarm when I change rear tires, if it has a failure and Yamaha does not stand behind it, I am good with that too. I'll spend money on a higher quality machine.

I remove, clean, and repack my steering head bearings and swing arm bearings every 16,000 - 20,000 miles. On my second gen it was a little more critical the first time because Yamaha was notorious for having almost no grease on either at assembly.

Steering head one weekend and swing arm the following. I do it in the winter when I am not interfering with riding. I enjoy the work and the confidence there will be no or few surprises during the riding season. All bolts are torqued to spec and all components removed are cleaned and polished at reassembly.

My 4 wheel vehicles are maintained at the manufacturer intervals - not the “dealer recommendations “. But in my advancing years these vehicles are serviced at the dealership. But I do have them convinced they must allow me in the shop as the work is performed.

My issue with this is that I expect Yamaha to be just as reliable as my Honda which I did not put thousands of dollars into every year. I do agree Yamaha could refuse warranty if my swingarm had issues and it was never serviced but would they? What if it failed at 16,001 miles, could they refuse warranty then? How about at 17,000 miles? I could replace the swingarm parts for the amount of money a dealership wants for the service. I'll check the swingarm when I change rear tires, if it has a failure and Yamaha does not stand behind it, I am good with that too. I'll spend money on a higher quality machine.

--

You bring up a good point. If one had bad swingarm bearings, what would that be like? Would the bike vibrate more? Would it be squeaky? Would it freeze up? If it were something that would gradually get worse, but you would know it for 10,000 miles--just gradually getting moreso. How would the cost of replacing the parts be compared to the 16,000 mile check be? And then if you had the dealer replace the parts, would the cost be much more? How much are we talking about?

Of course we have all had the bike that's never had the swingarm touched and it seems to be fine. I have one Road Star with about 110,000 and never been greased. Maybe it's like comparing the cost of insurance to the cost of failure. And the likelihood.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone here. Most of you have probably done more work on your bikes and have more experience than I do, so you may be able to give some facts from experience. Example: on that same bike I just replaced the intake manifold which I had never done before. It took some work, but with the help of the guys on the RSClinic, I got it on. Now I'm an expert.:cool10: Well, anyway, I could offer some hints if someone were asking. I say some of this knowing how hard it is for some bikers to believe in Darksiding, for example. The fact is that all the negatives about a car tire's demise comes from those who have never experienced the problem, but is a problem only in theory.

That's kind of what I want here are some facts, not theory. Although I know it's hard when we're talking about a brand new bike that not many riders have even gone over 10,000 miles yet. Maybe all we can do is guess. But again, the thoughts from some experience in this area is more likely on this site than anywhere else.

--

--

You bring up a good point. If one had bad swingarm bearings, what would that be like? Would the bike vibrate more? Would it be squeaky? Would it freeze up? If it were something that would gradually get worse, but you would know it for 10,000 miles--just gradually getting moreso. How would the cost of replacing the parts be compared to the 16,000 mile check be? And then if you had the dealer replace the parts, would the cost be much more? How much are we talking about?

Of course we have all had the bike that's never had the swingarm touched and it seems to be fine. I have one Road Star with about 110,000 and never been greased. Maybe it's like comparing the cost of insurance to the cost of failure. And the likelihood.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone here. Most of you have probably done more work on your bikes and have more experience than I do, so you may be able to give some facts from experience. Example: on that same bike I just replaced the intake manifold which I had never done before. It took some work, but with the help of the guys on the RSClinic, I got it on. Now I'm an expert.:cool10: Well, anyway, I could offer some hints if someone were asking. I say some of this knowing how hard it is for some bikers to believe in Darksiding, for example. The fact is that all the negatives about a car tire's demise comes from those who have never experienced the problem, but is a problem only in theory.

That's kind of what I want here are some facts, not theory. Although I know it's hard when we're talking about a brand new bike that not many riders have even gone over 10,000 miles yet. Maybe all we can do is guess. But again, the thoughts from some experience in this area is more likely on this site than anywhere else.

--

To @bucfan11 and [MENTION=20576]RonK

Here is the Yamaha USA Warranty

YamahaUSA1.jpg

Here is the Yamaha Canada warranty

YamahaCanada1.jpg

I am not a corporation, so if Yamaha cannot show you the light I do not stand a chance. By the way, I do not work for, or have anything to do with Yamaha, other than spend my money with them like you do.

I understand you want to save a dollar, but if you cannot do the work yourself, the price of admission to this hobby is a little more costly if you have someone else do the work. By all that is written from the manufacturer, the work must be done. If you want to play Las Vegas odds with your machine, and your life, by NOT performing maintenance, for whatever reason you dream up, that is YOUR business.

I am amazed that one would spend the initial amount of money on a brand new bike like yall have, only to somehow rationalize NOT spending any more money on it in the form of required maintenance.

Oh and @vzuden, just like yours, my bearings only had two drops of grease on them from the factory as well.

Edited by Du-Rron

Hello again Du-Rron. Thanks for sharing that info. I had a hint you were some type of mechanic. Actually, I wasn't "heated up" but was just making a point. I suppose I can come across as a little strong sometimes due to my past vocation and military time as well. Take care and happy riding. Bill

To bucfan11 and RonK

I am not a corporation, so if Yamaha cannot show you the light I do not stand a chance. By the way, I do not work for, or have anything to do with Yamaha, other than spend my money with them like you do.

I understand you want to save a dollar, but if you cannot do the work yourself, the price of admission to this hobby is a little more costly if you have someone else do the work. By all that is written from the manufacturer, the work must be done. If you want to play Las Vegas odds with your machine, and your life, by NOT performing maintenance, for whatever reason you dream up, that is YOUR business.

I am amazed that one would spend the initial amount of money on a brand new bike like yall have, only to somehow rationalize NOT spending any more money on it in the form of required maintenance.

Oh and vzuden, just like yours, my bearings only had two drops of grease on them from the factory as well.

I have not looked at mine yet and am going on the assumption that the swingarm check is so expensive because it is a pain to get to. If I spend all of that time to check a couple of bearings, it would be cost effective to change them while youre in there. If it is easy to get to then there will be no problems. I will most likely check them at 16,000 and let them go from there unless I'm in there for some other reason. I don't really care if Yamaha refused warranty on swingarm bearings as I said, once you're there to check them, changing them is no big deal. I ride to much to be tearing this bike down every 10 months or so...aint gonna happen. If it costs me a set of bearings than so be it. I will assume you have never seen a swingarm with bad bearings...you will know it long before it is a gamble with your life. If you do not have the ability to work on your own bike I do agree and so does Yamaha, take your bike to a dealer and have them perform all required maintenance. Yamaha will then have to replace your bad bearing if they fail in the first 5 years. To be clear, I am only talking about the swingarm and steering head check. These seem to be what is making the cost of the 16000 mile maintence so expensive, far more expensive than the parts would cost to replace them. The valve check I will do and will continue to do everytime I change plugs. If you feel it is worth your time to save a few bucks on maybe a future bearing failure than I understand that. To each his own.

BTW, I already have a trailer hitch and will be darkside shortly. If Yamaha dont like that I guess there could be issues. I bought my bike for us to enjoy, which means LD touring and pulling a trailer occasionally. If this bike can't do that, I'll move on to one that can.

Edited by bucfan11

I have not looked at mine yet and am going on the assumption that the swingarm check is so expensive because it is a pain to get to. If I spend all of that time to check a couple of bearings, it would be cost effective to change them while youre in there. If it is easy to get to then there will be no problems. I will most likely check them at 16,000 and let them go from there unless I'm in there for some other reason. I don't really care if Yamaha refused warranty on swingarm bearings as I said, once you're there to check them, changing them is no big deal. I ride to much to be tearing this bike down every 10 months or so...aint gonna happen. If it costs me a set of bearings than so be it. I will assume you have never seen a swingarm with bad bearings...you will know it long before it is a gamble with your life. If you do not have the ability to work on your own bike I do agree and so does Yamaha, take your bike to a dealer and have them perform all required maintenance. Yamaha will then have to replace your bad bearing if they fail in the first 5 years. To be clear, I am only talking about the swingarm and steering head check. These seem to be what is making the cost of the 16000 mile maintence so expensive, far more expensive than the parts would cost to replace them. The valve check I will do and will continue to do everytime I change plugs. If you feel it is worth your time to save a few bucks on maybe a future bearing failure than I understand that. To each his own.

BTW, I already have a trailer hitch and will be darkside shortly. If Yamaha dont like that I guess there could be issues. I bought my bike for us to enjoy, which means LD touring and pulling a trailer occasionally. If this bike can't do that, I'll move on to one that can.

I work on my bike and my friends bikes. I HAVE seen two damaged swingarms, both made out of aluminum, with oblong bearing mounts. Both bikes were not anywhere near new and could almost be considered "beaters". "Warranty" was never a consideration here. One swingarm was so bad the bearing cage was cracked and the rollers fell out both sides when the swing arm was removed. Both bikes were belt drive. Both bikes had needle bearings and roller bearings on the drive belt side to help with the additional tension of the belt. One swingarm had enough meat left on it to sleeve with a steel insert. The other swingarm had to be replaced with a used aftermarket part. A new swingarm was way too cost prohibtive. Anyway, it does happen. On my Yamaha's so far the factory has been chincy with putting grease on them when building them. I do practice what I preach. I can tell you, that if you look at my previous posts on here, that when I bought my RSV brand new, I had it apart several times in different areas, front to rear, fixing dificiencies from the factory, from dealer setup, and enhancing it, replacing the clutch, excetera, all with less than 5K miles on it. I can tell ya that it rides a whole lot better now than when it left the dealership door on the day I got it. And... I ENJOYED DOING IT. This is my hobby and my mechanical release.

There is a fancy new bike in town from Yamaha that costs a whole lot of money. I would like to see it survive for as many production years as my RSV did. I don't want to see early failures and then folks blame the beast for their lack of attention. I have been on here long enough to see folks get into "fight to the death battles" over which was the best oil to use in their bikes for the absolute best maintenance. Now, I am having a hard time believing the needle has swung the other direction in "how long can I go without doing a thing to it".

Ron, this bike won’t have any issue going the distance. Speaking of “going the distance”, you need to hit those last 3 states in CONUS so that your map is fully filled in. I’m definitely envious of that!