IGNORED

new rstd question

Guest rugeroid

Guest rugeroid

I just got home from picking up my new rstd, and it seems to indicate more miles than I know it is to my house. CAN THE ODOMETER possibly be indicating kilometers rather than miles, and if so how do I change it? I cannot find any info on this either in the owners, or service manual. I know I can switch it on my FZ1, but can the odometer be switched on the Rstd?

I just got home from picking up my new rstd, and it seems to indicate more miles than I know it is to my house. CAN THE ODOMETER possibly be indicating kilometers rather than miles, and if so how do I change it? I cannot find any info on this either in the owners, or service manual. I know I can switch it on my FZ1, but can the odometer be switched on the Rstd?

Are you sure it is not from Canada?

How far off is it? All Yamaha bikes, and I think most any metric bike, are calibrated so that the speedometer reads in the neighborhood of about 10% fast, and the odometer reads about 10% too much mileage. And if you do any mpg checks it will cause your mpg readings to be 10% too high. There are electronic devices available with which you can recalibrate the speedometer and odometer.

Mine along with every Metric bike I've owned has had a speedo that's been off. Reads faster than I'm travelling and subsequently shows going farther than I've travelled. My riding buddy has an HD and we compare miles/mileage all the time. I'm usually showing more miles in as little as 5 miles. No big deal once you understand/expect it.

Well just for a quick look see to check out if it is in KM

1 mile is about 1.6km

10 miles would be 16km give or take a hundred yards or so.

This is a rough check for you if you know a set distance. Also on the face of the speedo the MPH numbers will be larger and KMPH will be under and smaller.

60 mph is around 100km per hour.

55 is roughly 90km per hour.

40 is 60km

30 is 50km

I just got home from picking up my new rstd, and it seems to indicate more miles than I know it is to my house.

I think I (and some others here) have the same problem...

I purchased my 05 RSV brand new last year with zero miles on it.

The odometer now shows 20,000 plus miles on it......

I just know I could not have rode it that far........

It must be the odometer is off..... :rotf:

some where i read that all foriegn made bikes are off by 8-10% in their readings. harley keeps their down to 2-3% of range. my bike has always been off, and it reads higher. when i've gone thru the roadside speed decters it always shows a lower speed than my spedo.around 60 on speedo the decter shows 55, so i always run about 5 mph faster on speedo and never got a ticket yet.

Mine was 9% fast so it was reading 9% high on the milage also. Put the Speedohealer on it and its right on the money now. Feds have an old law thats says a speedo can be off by + or - 12% and its ok. So Dealers won't fix it if it falls with in those parameters.