IGNORED

Turn Ignition key... NOTHING...

Saw this problem a while ago in the forum, but can't find it now....

Turn the ignition key to on and NOTHING... no clicks no headlights, no dashbord lights, no turn signals no horn...nada nada on anything BUT the radio works. Tomorrow will check the main fuse. Not looking forward to it if it is the ignition key. Battery reads 12.5 volts on my installed led, so don't think it's the battery.

Shouldn't the headlights horn, idiot lights, etc work with the key in acc? in other words, what does the main fuse control?

So do these symptoms lead one to believe it's the main fuse or the ignition key.

Thanks....

Edited by KenM

This is usually a indication that the igniton switch is failing. Turn the key on and off a few times and see if everything turns on.

Adding passing lamps and wiring them thru the ignition switch can cause premature failure of the switch. Don't know if you have passing lamps or not.

I let my 07 sit too long, about a month, and the battery was very weak. It turned the engine when I tried to start it just a little and then nothing. The battery ckecked 12.2 volts. I put a smart charger on it set on auto charge and left it overnight. Then the charger and my meter checked the battery voltage at 12.9 volts. I recently bought the bike so I have no idea how old the battery is. The bike fired right up.

Ken, first check your connections to battery, also the ground cables. Battery voltage. Do headlight come on? In ACC I think all that might work is radio. If you tuen key on and ALL connections are good then need to look a bit deeper. If you do have the Aux lights they really need to be wired thru a relay. Also I make a relay that by passes the large current thru a relay instead of it all running thru the switch. The contacts in the switch are not hefty enough to really carry all the power needed thru it.

But lets check the basics first before we get to jumping to something else. If you need a hand let me know, I'm about an hour and half over in Sebring. Shoot me a PM and I'k get you a phone #

Ken, first check your connections to battery, also the ground cables. Battery voltage. Do headlight come on? In ACC I think all that might work is radio. If you tuen key on and ALL connections are good then need to look a bit deeper. If you do have the Aux lights they really need to be wired thru a relay. Also I make a relay that by passes the large current thru a relay instead of it all running thru the switch. The contacts in the switch are not hefty enough to really carry all the power needed thru it.

But lets check the basics first before we get to jumping to something else. If you need a hand let me know, I'm about an hour and half over in Sebring. Shoot me a PM and I'k get you a phone #

Thanks, DJH..... tomorrow morning will check the fuses, but at this point everything points to the ignition switch. After eliminating everything else will remove the switch, via drilling out the bolts which yamaha "in their wisdom" made removing them a pain in the ass, and taking apart the switch. If it can be "repaired" will do so, if not will order a new one. Cheapest I've found is about $200. the bypass wiring idea is o.k. I guess, but I don't want to go that route. But if things really go south, will PM you. Do appreciate your offer.

ttyl

Ken.

My by pass relay is plug and play. Ignition switch it's self ONLY lets power get to the next leg of journey, the switch on handlebars to then make solenoid engage to then power starter. So if it is hung to run starter it has to be somewhere else in my book.

the bypass wiring idea is o.k. I guess, but I don't want to go that route. But if things really go south, will PM you. Do appreciate your offer.

ttyl

Ken.

I highly advise getting Dion's (djh3) bypass relay even if you get a new ignition switch. It's good preventative maintenance to protect the existing switch if still good or a new ignition switch contacts from burning out. It only takes minutes to install. It's that easy and thanks to Dion, it's inexpensive. Last thing you want is to be several hundred miles from home, stuck in the middle of nowhere with a burned out ignition.

I have installed them on my last 2 RSV's. It's one of the first things I did as soon as I got the bikes. I like the piece of mind.

So do these symptoms lead one to believe it's the main fuse or the ignition key.

Thanks....

Here is how to repair the ignition switch. Then buy the relay kit from djh3 to save the switch from future problems. I did.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?111175-Ignition-Switch-Repair

see steps 11 and 12 before starting to determine if you can repair your current switch or if you have to order a new one.

Edited by Du-Rron

Yup, sounds like classic ignition switch contact failure! The radio goes through a separate set of contacts, the accessory contacts, so it will work when nothing else does. Have fun grinding the heads off of those anti-theft bolts!

In the meantime, use DJH3's bypass kit to keep yourself riding!

Thanks for all the replies... yes it was the ignition switch, and yes I did some damage getting the damn thing off. It's working now, but the key was always hard to turn, so I ordered a new one... $187 or so.... should be here sometime next week. Local yamaha dealer wanted $280 plus shipping plus taxes.... passed....

Ken