IGNORED

Gulf Coast eating.

RDawson

Somewhere around the 28th or 29th I will be heading south to Orange Beach Al. for a few days, probably return on the 4th of Oct. We will most likely run through Nashville on 65 heading that way. Would like to meet members in that area and maybe grab a bite somewhere. A BIG seafood buffet or similar would be great if anybody can recommend one. We will probably hit Dewey's at Ft Walton beach one night and maybe lambert's at Foley once.

If you get to Mobile, try Felixe's or Ed's... East of town on the causeway. Heard good things about both....

This is going to be my guide come October when we drive through heading for Destin.

https://www.coastalliving.com/travel/top-10/best-seafood-restaurants-alabama

I've heard about Lulu Buffets place on the Intercoastal from boating friends...

No personal knowledge. I kinda like small local dives...

Also, take it easy through Nashville. Roads were a not in good shape going through the I65/I40 section.

Edited by videoarizona
Add

If you get to Mobile, try Felixe's or Ed's... East of town on the causeway. Heard good things about both....

Also, take it easy through Nashville. Roads were a not in good shape going through the I65/I40 section.

Thanks. Family wants some beach time, me not so much. Depending on weather I may take the bike also, if so I'll probably run over to Mobile one day to see the USS Alabama again. Last time I was there everybody with me was in a hurry to get to Gulf Shores and I didn't get to take much time touring it.

Having lived in Maryland for a number of years, I grew fond of good seafood. Its a rare thing here in the N Georgia mountains. Have fun, sounds like a good trip.

The wife is more of a seafood nut than me so I try to make sure and find her a good place when we can. I do tear up some crab legs though. Maybe you can find some mountain oysters in GA.

The wife is more of a seafood nut than me so I try to make sure and find her a good place when we can. I do tear up some crab legs though. Maybe you can find some mountain oysters in GA.

Wish I had 1st hand knowledge, but my friends have been good most of the time so far... The USS Alabama battleship in Mobile Bay is on my list too!

USS Alabama and the Submarine next to it are both very good. If you have a day to yourself or with someone else interested, I highly recommend the Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola NAS. Maybe 40 minutes from Orange Beach, run east down the coast road toward Perdido Key, Over the bridge, Gulf Beach Highway to the back entrance of Pensacola NAS. You will need a good day to go through it. Last time I was there they had just finished putting the PBY inside that flew McArthur to sign the armistice with Japan. They have an Imax theatre in it. Must watch short movies there are Fly with The Blues and the HD Imax on the spacewalk and repair of the Hubbel telescope will blow your mind. If you can leave a few days early you can catch the Blue Angels practice right along the tarmac at Pensacola NAS (behind the museum) on 9-25-18 This is as close as you will ever get, plus landings and afterburner take-offs you don't get to see at the public airshows. Practice schedule:https://www.visitpensacola.com/events/signature-events/blue-angel-air-show/practices/

Have fun

There are some good ones that I'm sure you'll find. I'll tell you what we like to do and that is go to one of the many seafood markets that will cook your selections in a few minutes and take it back to the condo. That is some of the best eating for us. Have a good trip.

highly recommend the Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola NAS. Maybe 40 minutes from Orange Beach, run east down the coast road toward Perdido Key, Over the bridge, Gulf Beach Highway to the back entrance of Pensacola NAS. You will need a good day to go through it.

Understatement. Both times I’ve been everyone is dragging me out whining, “We want a vacation too!” If you’re really in to aviation there’s a smaller museum in Ft Walton with a SR71 Blackbird and a B52.

Never been in LuLus cause it’s usually crowded but since schools started maybe not as bad. Sent a text to my bro n law who practically lives there. Will pass along his advice if any.

We've done LuLu's, not impressed, more of a tourist trap. The air museum at Ft Walton is cool too, I stopped there last year and got to talk to a retired General that was running it. Heard some really cool stuff. They have the 1st C130 ever built sitting there and it's still airworthy. IMG_0477.jpgTook this pic there. That was the maiden voyage for my then new to me 07.

I was in Destin for a company holiday a few years ago. Myself and several others chartered a fishing boat for 4 hours in the morning at a harbor about a mile from our hotel. We had a decent catch and were given a styrofoam cooler to put the filets in, and started the trek back up the beach. As we passed a restaurant on a pier we decided to stop and have a beer and relax. We talked a bit to the restaurant owner, told him what we'd been up to, and he offered to cook the fish we had just caught for us and add some fries and slaw and hush puppies. So, we decided that was a good idea. It was a memorable fresh fish dinner, and a good time was had by all.

Wish I had 1st hand knowledge, but my friends have been good most of the time so far... The USS Alabama battleship in Mobile Bay is on my list too!

It's worth the time to see. There is a lot of information posted throughout the ship, that's what I missed mostly. The wife, our two kids, brothers wife and kids were two rooms ahead of us the whole time yelling "let's go to the ocean". I was never in the military thanks to two crushed vertebrae in a wreck, but love to check out military history anytime I'm near something. Don't consider myself a history buff because I don't retain the memories very well but like to look. I want to make it to Charlotte soon to see a carrier, never seen anything that large float.

to see a carrier, never seen anything that large float.

Since you mentioned it.... The last time I left Pensacola Museum I did a leisurely drive through the base. Didn’t know where I was going and was just enjoying new scenery. I came to a T intersection. Kind of strange but typical of military bases. The 2 lane road I was on had a stop sign and I could turn left or right on a wide concrete endless parking lot. There appeared to be a windowless multi story building staring me in the face across the parking lot. As I sat at the stop sign contemplating which way to go or turn around I realized there was a gap between the building and the parking lot. My eyes then followed the gap skyward. Up, up, up until I realized I was on a dock with an aircraft carrier in my face! It was a jack in the beanstalk moment I’ll never forget and thanks to the element of surprise had more impact than seeing the Grand Canyon. So glad for that experience. She now sits at the bottom of the sea and I don’t scuba. http://www.pnj.com/story/news/local/2016/04/24/10-years-later-orkisany-reef-international-dive-destination/82957574/