IGNORED

My latest project..............

DragonRider

1981 Yamaha XJ650G that was sitting in my friends garage for almost 20 years. Everytime we went and visited him and his wife in La. I would pass by it in his garage and I would ask him when he was going to do something with it. Well he finally broke down and bought a used 2012 VStar 1300 Tour. He was going to donate the XJ to chairity. I convinced him to let me fix it up and sell it for him. What he did was sign it over to me and we brought it back to Newnan. It sat in my shop for a few months waiting for me because I had another project I brought home at the same time for my grandson, so that one took priority. Started on the XJ about 4 weeks ago and starting slowly tearing it down to bare everthing. It was a pretty straight forward job. Rebuilt carbs, new throttle cable, new battery, refurbished front caliper, still waiting on the new brake pads. Finished up the carbs yesterday and today reassembled it after she came back to life. Fired right up, took it for a spin and was impressed at how well it ran. Had to tinker with the brakes a little more but it now stops just fine. Still have to put the rubber boots from the carbs to airbox back on and start taking care of what little surface rust in on some of the chrome.

xj650 005.jpg

xj650 012.jpg

xj650 011.jpg

xj650 010.jpg

xj650 009.jpg

DragonRider,

If you do not already know about it, check out xjbikes.com another great forum dedicated to the Yamaha XJ series. One of the members(probably the owner) is a spectacular source of NOS and aftermarket parts for the XJ bikes. If chacal doesn't have it, it's not available.

Had a Black 650 Maxim, it was a great bike, those inline fours are smooth as a sewing machine. Took it up to Laconia Bike week many years ago, ran great never a problem.

Looks like you did an awesome job of bringing her back to life, your grandson just mite want that one,great starter bike!

Craig