IGNORED

Saturday is Eluder 500 mile day

VentureFar

Hi all, I have some good news and some better news. I wrote up my ride and submitted to Ultimatemotorcycling.com magazine, the good folks that gave me FOB to the Eluder. The good news is they will be posting it and we can link to it. Probably tomorrow. The better news is .......here are my photos. cowpuc demanded lots of pictures. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/6746cc947274d365dd3c2974cbbcac41.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/ab10a5a07d2daa1512da257683ee72c5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/972863fd483ae0aa07379900e0de53bb.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/5ceab9272b18b92d368a220860fb7109.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/7d29c834127ec8c84cc9c6cc7fc641f2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/8d6da2671282558a3fbfd0d562f26ac7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/98588c040e457004e099a63d7d3ba1d1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/6f1d317d6aa092cd7625ba59f6178a6c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/af90328ba46fc081b038284473cf5cc5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/7c6156aae1dc76cabac123f3a537d24c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/8c64d96bf24e15ea98965c53da5b12a5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/768af9029eafdadf1273bd5999b9ccba.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/60d3869f0af7e789293303b6f7447c27.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/ea77a04b7c76194982a86325f574d1ea.jpg

I know, like watching your favorite tv show on mute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Heyyy you guys,,, did I tell you!! I got a brother who lives in California who just got PUBLISHED in a Motorcycle Magazine:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

OUTSTANDING and major CONGRATS Neil!!! CAN NOT WAIT TO READ YOUR REPORT!!!

TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Now,, about those amazing pictures = THANK YOU!!

Gotta love that pic of your puppy in the mirror with the sad face look that says "heyyyyyy,,, I wanna go!!!" = please give her a hug for me and tell her I said that I know EXACTLY how she feels!!

Also,,, take a close look at the attached pics and see if the place doesnt look familiar!! I think that fuel station you got gas at is the same one that Tip, Tweeks and I ran out of gas at in the middle of a moon lit ride thru the Park... I have a gut feeling its the same spot (not many fuel stations out in Death Valley) and if it is,, LOOK at the fuel prices in 2012!! What were the temps when you were there VentureFar? That pic of the temp that I snapped was 8 a.m. at the Stove Pipe place making your brother and his wife VERY glad they were riding a water cooled 1st Gen!!

Also,, is that Back Off Whip another VentureFar special? Sure looks like it!! Didnt think I would notice it did ya!!

That 'Luder may be a hot one but WOWZY is that purdy!! Lucky sucker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your patience. As cowpuc says, wait for it...wait for it...

I have to wait for the link. As soon as I get it I will post it.

I have never done a ride report and I must say I am pretty proud of my first.

Venturefar...

Well worth the wait,, GUARANTEED!!!!:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

DSCN6597.JPG

DSCN6599.JPG

DSCN6609.JPG

DSCN6608.JPG

DSCN6606.JPG

DSCN6627.JPG

DSCN6596.JPG

Good read that was well written. An article by a guy who rides and knows what we all look for and at. good advice on the phone deal as my eyes get weaker my phone gets bigger so i guess the Galaxy 8+ would have to stay in my shirt pocket.

So next years model we need:

better air ducting for the left side ( second fan?)

larger phone compartment ( new blow mold no big deal)

up grade the cruise control ( probably a solenoid spring)

FOR THE BIGGER GUYS

some kind of mount for hi way pegs ( not available yet)

taller windscreen ( two sizes optional from yamaha over stock)

deeper (further back) seat ( well Rick?)

So one out of six can be fixed right now. The hiway pegs will take the aftermarket another 30-60 days. Rick and the other seat guys probably already have a few ideas if not patterns already cut. The top three need mama Yama to take note of. (i know those sneaky Bastiches read our site)

Very good write up. The heat on the left side seems to be a common complaint. Gas mileage is no better than my RSV and I rarely ever feel heat from the V4.

I'll have to ride one this spring and the new Gold Wing and the BMW k1600b. Should be interesting.

Yup that back off whip is my personal bling on the borrowed bike.

Here is the link everyone. I’ve been published :-)

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/02/07/2018-yamaha-star-eluder-test-death-valley-bust/

Hope you all enjoy the read.

VentureFar...

NOW THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT = excellent read,, right from the hip of a non-biased riders perspective IHMO.. VERY VERY well done Neil!! Thank you SOOOO much for taking the time to do that and then to share your thoughts/pictures and adventure with us = YOU DA MAN BROTHER!!!

Yep,, you definitely are onto something with your comments about the exhaust,,, still makes no sense to me.. I still think that that bike was designed specifically for the 1700cc Vmax motor = look at it,, it just SCREAMS - dont mess with me - Mom Yam really did turn the touring world upside down with me and all your other touring bikes are MILES behind now, and then someone in the Star group here in the States (I got to meet the Star Riders involved with the decision to go air cooled/push rod in this new one out at Americade) spoke up and said NO = we want air cooled so redesigned Strat motor was stuck in there.

Good read that was well written. An article by a guy who rides and knows what we all look for and at. good advice on the phone deal as my eyes get weaker my phone gets bigger so i guess the Galaxy 8+ would have to stay in my shirt pocket.

So next years model we need:

better air ducting for the left side ( second fan?)

larger phone compartment ( new blow mold no big deal)

up grade the cruise control ( probably a solenoid spring)

FOR THE BIGGER GUYS

some kind of mount for hi way pegs ( not available yet)

taller windscreen ( two sizes optional from yamaha over stock)

deeper (further back) seat ( well Rick?)

So one out of six can be fixed right now. The hiway pegs will take the aftermarket another 30-60 days. Rick and the other seat guys probably already have a few ideas if not patterns already cut. The top three need mama Yama to take note of. (i know those sneaky Bastiches read our site)

Not sure there is even a 1st cooling fan in there Bay, to my recollect the new Venture that we demoed out a Sturgis did not have a fan of any sort for cooling and therefore, I highly suspect that the Eluder is any different.. I wonder if VentureFar could answer for us whether or not he noticed this to be the case?? Neil,, if you get a second, would you mind pouring over that new Venture sitting in your garage for testing (YOU BANDIT LUCKY RASCAL with the bestest of the bestest new found bestest friend for a neighbor :witch_brew::crackup:) a little and see if I am wrong on this? I have noticed several comments "Eluding" (pun intended:stirthepot:) to the thought that those new air cooled machines have a cooling fan hidden in them somewhere.. I looked for one (but didnt have the high tempts to ride in or the chance to let one idle long enough that a cooling fan would of come on) I did ask the reps out at Sturgis about it and they said no but they also said that Yamaha had solved the "Heat issue" associated with air cooled touring bikes but never really did explain what they meant by that - maybe I missed something and there really is a "cooling fan" incorporated in there somewhere..

I also am not really convinced that anyone from Mom Yam is still monitoring our club house here.. There is a thread in the 3rd Gen section that Don started for us to develop our wish lists for the new Venture = as I recall, pretty much 100% of those responses (and there were some exhaustive lists in there) clearly stated V-4, water cooled, shaft drive and look what came out.. I know for a fact that Mom Yam sought input from riders here in the States on the design of the new one cause I met them and spoke to a couple of them at Americade BUT - those folks previous experience mostly had to do with the Star V-Twin owners. I also met a super nice guy on the way home from our western tour last year who was returning from the big Star Rally out in Minnesota and is a big wig with some Michigan "Star Riders" group who was all fired up about the new Venture that was out there. He was riding a Strat and was all excited Yamaha finally listening to the "Star Rider" group.. I have a theory that our group here at VentureRider are considered more "Yamaha" minded and less "Star" minded and, maybe therefore lost some connectivity with Mom Yam,, or Mom Star,, or whatever..

Maybe Freebird could shed some thoughts on this cause I am, as usual,, confused by it all...

Very good write up. The heat on the left side seems to be a common complaint. Gas mileage is no better than my RSV and I rarely ever feel heat from the V4.

I'll have to ride one this spring and the new Gold Wing and the BMW k1600b. Should be interesting.

The k1600b is sitting in his garage waiting for me to take out. Gee, which should I ride first, the k1600b or th 2018 Venture? Never had such difficult choices except at the cereal aisle at the market ( that was the cleanest analogy I could come up with :-)

i saw 43mpg on the data read out at 70mpg.

at that mpg I am thinking of making my out bound leg of 512 miles with only one gas stop.

Might be too bring though to ride that slow when the speed limit is 80.

Just a thought

Venturefar...

The k1600b is sitting in his garage waiting for me to take out. Gee, which should I ride first, the k1600b or th 2018 Venture?

I vote for the K1600b first as that is the one I'm interested in! I've kind of already striken the 2018 Venture off my "next new bike to buy" list (sorry Mother Yamaha)!

I look forward to reading your reviews!!!!!!!! Thanks!

I vote for the K1600b first as that is the one I'm interested in! I've kind of already striken the 2018 Venture off my "next new bike to buy" list (sorry Mother Yamaha)!

I look forward to reading your reviews!!!!!!!! Thanks!

Sorry to disappoint but the venture is in my garage and the beemer isn’t.

Last weekend was the eluder and this weekend is the Venture. I don’t know how many hall passes I can pull off in a row but I will try. Promise.

4D0E48DA-775D-49EC-8410-F9A2218A92E7.jpg

I am 99 percent sure there is no fan on the bike but I will look closely tonight.

Venturefar...

I started the venture and idled it for a long time messing with the gadgets and dials. As my left leg got hotter and hotter I was uncomfortably reminded there is NO fan on the Eluder or Venture

Venturefar...

Oh well not a second fan but perhaps add a fan something like theseScreen Shot 2018-02-09 at 9.35.35 AM.png they make them for HD and Indians now. Also a lot of talk on the HD forums about ducting around the rear cylinder, at idle i think the newer HD's actually stop the rear cylinder from firing. I understand that with the HD its not a comfort thing its an engine longevity thing.

If you do get to ride the Gold Wing and Beemer, your opinion on them would be much appreciated.

What brand of driving lights did you mount of your RSV. I see you mounted them high, does that give you better vision at night vs. having them low?

Big vision improvement by mounting way up high. They are 25watt vision x light cannons. VisionxUsa.com.

I tried them both ways and up high I could play tennis in their light. I have ridden through the night and felt comfortable going 75mph being able to see far enough ahead to stop comfortably. I mounted them on doubled up hardware store angle brackets on the mirror stalks. The right is tight and lights up the right side of my centerline. The left is left loose enough for me to adjust while riding for maximum coverage. They light up reflectors for over a mile. I have 10 watt down low because when I turn them off for oncoming two lane traffic I felt like I was totally blind. With the 10 watts at least I can see what I am running over until I can get the 25’s back on.

75aff2888f63e6bf94979495fd370b62.jpgcdn.com/20180209/3a0352f1daa2fff025ef552c97507a1c.jpg[/img]

416c3b684f3ac425db290cce00e5c81c.jpg6e38df006efa08d9c4cddba50f6e3758.jpg

FYI in my pix of the up high 25 watt Led spots you might notice a zip tie. There is so much air pressure on them that they kept loosening up at the base. I use the zip tie to keep forward pressure and they haven’t come loose since.

Venturefar...

Right. It is every riders dream to have a friendly neighbor with a rotating stable of bikes.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On:

Speaking about testing scoots,,, when I was out at Sturgis playing with the new Venture I attempted to check the engine heat with my Harbor Freight infra red temp checker (had read in multiple reports that Yamaha had figured out how to keep the engine temps down even lower than the water cooled V-4's and wanted to do a scientific check to see if this was true) and the reps out there wouldnt allow it..

Have you got a infra red temp gun Neil? If you do have one,, maybe start your RSV and the new one and let em idle side by side and monitor engine temps and see how they compare...

Does that Venture have what appears to be the same exhaust pipe configuration coming as the Eluder Neil?? Same protrusion under your left leg?? Wonder if wrapping the pipes (especially the rear pipe) in pipe wrap like we used to do with our Choppers would help??

Personally I thought the engine heat on the Venture was worse then on a Harley Ultra Limited we have spent a fair amount of time on but no where near as bad as the Indian 111's we demoed.. Right in the middle of the two was my opinion.. You got any time on either of the other big twin pushrod air cooled scoots Neil? If so,, care to share your thoughts?

THIS IS SOOO MUCH FUN!! Thanks again for sharing with us!!!

Puc

FYI in my pix of the up high 25 watt Led spots you might notice a zip tie. There is so much air pressure on them that they kept loosening up at the base. I use the zip tie to keep forward pressure and they haven’t come loose since.

Venturefar...

ZIP TIES AND DUC TAPE - our very existence depends on them!!

:scared: ZIP TIES AND DUC TAPE = good name for a Movie,, or a Book!!!

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On:

Speaking about testing scoots,,, when I was out at Sturgis playing with the new Venture I attempted to check the engine heat with my Harbor Freight infra red temp checker (had read in multiple reports that Yamaha had figured out how to keep the engine temps down even lower than the water cooled V-4's and wanted to do a scientific check to see if this was true) and the reps out there wouldnt allow it..

Have you got a infra red temp gun Neil? If you do have one,, maybe start your RSV and the new one and let em idle side by side and monitor engine temps and see how they compare...

Does that Venture have what appears to be the same exhaust pipe configuration coming as the Eluder Neil?? Same protrusion under your left leg?? Wonder if wrapping the pipes (especially the rear pipe) in pipe wrap like we used to do with our Choppers would help??

Personally I thought the engine heat on the Venture was worse then on a Harley Ultra Limited we have spent a fair amount of time on but no where near as bad as the Indian 111's we demoed.. Right in the middle of the two was my opinion.. You got any time on either of the other big twin pushrod air cooled scoots Neil? If so,, care to share your thoughts?

THIS IS SOOO MUCH FUN!! Thanks again for sharing with us!!!

Puc

No time on the harley but I did test ride the Indian bagger a couple of years ago at the international show and didn’t notice any heat out of the ordinary. Looking back heat was a non issue on the Indian. This eluder/Venture left side heat thing is down right uncomfortable standing still and darn annoying at freeway speeds. I don’t have a temp gauge but I don’t need one to know that slow speed riding on a warm day will raise your internal body temp. At 78 degrees air temp riding the eluder at 35mph my armpits were actually dripping. I took note of that because my armpits don’t ever straight drip.

I agree that the chopper exhaust wrap should send the heat farther down the pipe but it will look like crap.

Venturefar...

I did notice the tie wrap. Was going to ask. Tie wraps are a wonderful invention.

Yes they are tie wraps hold my sides on tinker a flag from laying down, and my lowers on. Then we have a duct tape hinge for the radiator bottle storage box area. Then in many other areas zip ties holding wires in place.