IGNORED

Shifting Question

My 02 is having trouble in the shifting department.

Going into 3rd it is like I hit a dead spot where it will not shift to 3rd out of 2nd.

Shifter will not go up into 3rd I can down shift back to 2nd then it will go to 3rd

and sometimes I have to do it a couple times.

Needless to say it is IRRITATING to say the least.:(

Anyone else have this problem or know what it is.

I have never encountered this before

I pull the clutch in and hit 2nd then try for 3rd and the shifter will not go up no matter how hard I try.

THANKS in ADVANCE.................................Ron

Dan & RR great ideas and I will try the clutch fluid today.

Like I said this is the first time I have ever had a bike do this.

Try to shift up and nothing happens and brake fluid was not

not the first on my list I figured it was linkage.

You guys are the best.

Dan said:

Hey Ron FreeBird's M-Day is closing You better get some days off and get over there. Its only 2000mil's

I wished I could make it to the M-DAY for the joy of just seeing your smiling face...................Ron

:bighug:

Ron,

My 05 was acting the same exact way about two years ago, and in the same hard spot in shifting ...2nd & 3rd.

Found out that there is a pivot point of the shifting linkage that is on the left side of the radiator and under the front of the left floor board that needed lubrication.

It was binding at that one piviot point.

I put a little motor oil on a large screwdriver, then placed the blade of the screwdriver on the "gap" between parts in this pivot point and let the oil run off into the gap to ensure I go it on th eright spot. Spraying oil just went all over the engine and everything else...what a mess...

I used the oiled up screwdriver method several times to ensure it was lubricated.

I have oiled this spot many times since and the shifting problem has never ever returned.

Rain / water is splashed from the rear of the front tire and it passes thru and along both sides of the radiator when turning the handlebars. The water gets right into this pivot point and begins to cause rust thus severe binding ocurrs...

Keep this joint / pivot point lubricated often and you should not have any problems with the shifting.

I too thought it was my clutch or shifting linkage being loose or bent..all it needed was lubrication on every pivot point within the shifting linkage.

Oh yes, as said, you must make sure all the bolts are tight to spec too, but lube everything and then check it out..

I really hope this is your problem ....because its soooooooo cheap to fix. :thumbsup2:

Whatever Jeff Said Second that. Bleed , or maybe is time to complete replace clutch fluid.

Clutch fluid is same as brake fluid, and any DOT 3 Or DOT 4 are OK. I use this one:

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf4.aspx

Hey Ron FreeBird's M-Day is closing You better get some days off and get overthere. Its only 2000mil's

How do you replace the clutch fluid?

TJ,

Some of us use Speedbleeders,

http://www.speedbleeder.com/ install them on the bike and you wouldn't believe how easy it is to completely replace the Brake Fluids on all the parts that use it. If you want a hand with it I would be happy to assist you.

Thanks for the offer on the assist Squid. I did change out the fluid on the brakes early this spring. The old way, but I have not changed out the clutch fluid. I guess I will look in the manual and see what it evolves. I have never used speedbledders before. You buy them and leave them on?

Thanks for the offer on the assist Squid. I did change out the fluid on the brakes early this spring. The old way, but I have not changed out the clutch fluid. I guess I will look in the manual and see what it evolves. I have never used speedbledders before. You buy them and leave them on?

Same as doing the brakes. Yup, replaces normal bleeders, makes it much easier & quicker to bleed / flush the system.

Dan & RR great ideas and I will try the clutch fluid today.

Like I said this is the first time I have ever had a bike do this.

Try to shift up and nothing happens and brake fluid was not

not the first on my list I figured it was linkage.

You guys are the best.

Dan said:

Hey Ron FreeBird's M-Day is closing You better get some days off and get over there. Its only 2000mil's

I wished I could make it to the M-DAY for the joy of just seeing your smiling face...................Ron

:bighug:

Hey Ron You and Navigator can sign off 4 states on your " Visited States" Map... That's Good Reason to get Over @ Don's

Hey Squidley, looking at the list of bleeder I'm assuming the part number for second gen ('99) Venture would be SB8125 or SB8125L. Is this correct? The "L" must be for long, looking at the picture. Do I need 8125s or 8125Ls? One more stupid question...I'm guessing I will need (4), three for brakes and one for clutch. Correct?

Ron,

My 05 was acting the same exact way about two years ago, and in the same hard spot in shifting ...2nd & 3rd.

Found out that there is a pivot point of the shifting linkage that is on the left side of the radiator and under the front of the left floor board that needed lubrication.

It was binding at that one piviot point.

Yes most people miss this one, or do not think to keep these lubricated. Me included and I too had a similar problem. PS I tore into it looking for a problem that really was not a problem :think::sign20:

Brad