IGNORED

Cool Video - How they built motorcycles in the 1920's

VanRiver

I stumbled upon this fantastic Youtube video today showing how the Rover Company built their motorcycles back in the early 1920's.....this is a "Silent Movie" showing the entire process they used from casting the engine components all the way to riding it out of the factory. Those were the days! Sure would be nice to have one of those beautiful Rover Imperials in the collection (a boy can dream!)

12596.jpg

Excellent! Thanks for posting.

Surprised to see that the engine mech. actually got his hands dirty assembling that engine. Wot? no mechanics gloves back then? LOL.

Also laughed near the end where those two "hooligans" went screaming past the lady on the pedal cycle covering her in dust. There'd be a law suit now if that happened!

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW RIV!!! THAT is absolutely priceless IMHO = wayyyy way cool!!:clap2::dancefool: Excellent find brother, THANK YOU!!:thumbsup:

Noticed a number of very interesting things.. One of them, I spent a number of years turning steel back in the 70's and some of those years were doing turret lathe work.. It was amazing to me to see how little things had changed in that field from the 20's to the 70's!! Seriously!! Watching them cut steel took me right back to those early years for me!! Also,, I couldnt help but notice that they used a screw (not a bolt), tightened with a screw driver (not a wrench or socket) to capture the little gear on the end of the crank and, no lock tight :240:.. Watching them slide in the lifters reminded me of working on my buddies Harley a couple days ago. Did you notice how absolutely simple the carb was = now THAT is what I been talking about = K.I.S.S.!!

Burning off the pre lube at the start of the test ride = sooo obviously for real this video was!! Watching them get "air" on those early scoots = OUTSTANDING!!! Also,, I could not help but notice how sure of themselves those early riders were - noticed when going side by side the one guy had his hand on the others shoulder = :thumbsup:.. Point of curiosity was = I noticed what looked like army tank tracks in the dirt on top of the bridge, could have been boards making up the bridge but I dont think so = you notice that? Also, the guy sitting on the fence watching the scoots go by = I am bored = "wish I was riding one of those" :301:.

Last but not least = the very end shot in the mud hole = inverted = can relate!! :sign Rock On:

Thanks Riv = you made my day!!

Thanks for the video . I noticed that back then getting your picture was as important as the subject. The men had their good clothes on with ties . this is my great grandfather George Rasmussen he was a rural mail carrier in Emmons Minnesota and he got dressed up for the photo. When motorcycles first came out he got rid of the horse team and used motorcycles from then on. I think this is a 1906 Wagner bike and in 1972 they had an estate sale and sold two old Indians . I thought the rabbit gloves were cooler than them old bikes.

IMG_0006.JPG

Watched my Uncle work in a Foundry when I was a few yrs younger. He worked all day making the Moulds. That took a lot of talent itself. They made a lot of didderent things. One was the parts for Gravely Tractors including the cylinders. Everyone took part in pouring the Iron in the evening just before quitting time. That was fun to watch as it was poured by hand. Sparks flying everywhere. We had a Gravely Tractor on the farm and I got to follow a new cylinder all the way thru. He let me clean it up myself. A steel sleeve was inserted after it was cleaned up and all the rough edges removed.

I noticed that he didn't use any lube when assembling the engine??!!:think:

The assembler used lube to fit the piston.

Point of curiosity was = I noticed what looked like army tank tracks in the dirt on top of the bridge, could have been boards making up the bridge but I dont think so = you notice that?
My take on that was the bump was probably an obstacle made for the film and the tracks were likely from a dozer used to compact the jump. That area looked much more gravelly than the rest of the road.

Didn't notice any gaskets being fitted and no torque wrenches in sight. Curious.

Very interesting film, thanks for posting.