IGNORED

Did he say $75 a round? As in, it cost $75 every time ya pull the trigger?

cowpuc

Cowpuc,

Several reasons why the m14 is a better rifle for longer shots. The .308 is undoubted the superior round over 5.56 as far as terminal ballistics go. I'd be willing to bet the M14's chamber and leade were more consistent and tighter than the M16's which would make it a more precise rifle. The sight radius offset of the M16 makes it different to shoot than most rifles. Never having shot an M14, I cant speak about it's trigger but the M16 is not known for a match grade trigger. That's for sure.

However, the .223 or 5.56 round is very accurate and has a higher muzzle velocity than the .308 round. In a well built stick it can shoot ever bit as well as a .308. The cartridges are not the issue when it comes to accuracy and precision in this case. It's one of pure mechanics in the delivery system.

$0,02, YMMV

Edited by luvmy40

I remember when we switched to the M16, the instructor told us that the M14 had a maximum effective range of 460 yds and so did the M16. The muzzle velocity is much higher with the 5.56 round helping it to equalize the effectiveness. With equal sights it may be easier to hit a target at 350 yds with the M16 since it won't drop as much over that distance. I found out with my M14 sighted in for something around 200yds. I had to aim at the head of the target to drop it. Aiming at the chest wouldn't drop the target showing me that there was significant drop in the round at those distances. There is an smart phone app that will calculate this for you but I don't remember what it is.

I seem to remember reading where the snipers prefer the heavier calibers. I've never heard of one using a 5.56.

I happen to have an AR15 and a M1A, which is the civilian version of the M14.. Chinese receiver, everything else USGI, built by Springfield Armory.

I must say that I much prefer to shoot the M14 copy. More comfortable, and when you're shooting it, you KNOW you've a serious weapon there.

I can shoot that 14 with peep sites nearly as well as my .308 hunting rifle with a scope.

The 14 is a very impressive weapon. :2cents:

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that: In my opinion the 14 was a rifle. The 16 a combat weapon. Never had any problems with the 16 but as stated if you Wanted to "Reach out and touch someone" 14 was the way to go.

This was true for many years. But over time the M16/AR15 has become capable of shooting and winning at 1,000 yards. The military teams and some civilians are now shooting the M16 at the National Matches at the 1,000 yard service rifle events. I always used M14/M1A in .308, as that is what I used for a number of years, and didn't have a fulltime gunsmith to tune my AR15 and to replace worn parts. Better powders, bullets, chambers, and barrels make it possible. Those aren't field issue. But the leg is getting better and more specialized equipment these days.

I haven't been on active duty for a while, but from what I can tell, the NATO marksmen are using what I would call large caliber magnums for the most part.

ISIS snipers seem to have a mix of older 7.62x54R M91 Mosin-Nagants and WWII era Kalashnikov Heavy barreled scoped sniper rifles which are both very accurate long range rifles.

Edited by RandyR

14 never had jamming problem. 16 didn't either if you were old country boy that knew squirrel gun needed lubed & cleaned at least once every 10 yrs!! My 16 sang sweet and never jammed!!

While playing with Uncle Sam I qualified with,

M14- Expert

M16 - Expert

M79 Grenade Launcher- Expert

Colt 45 Grease Gun- Marksman

Colt 1911- Expert

M60 Machine Gun- Expert

M50 Machine Gun- Expert

John Law- Expert

308 Sniper rifle- Expert

So I can shoot a little:backinmyday:

I think you and I graduated from the same school in the US of A Army. I also preferred the M14 and the M60 but the 50 cal. Ring mount machine was a lot of fun.