IGNORED

This looks to be a little dry and wore

011.jpg

This was in a 07 Venture it had a growl to it when I pulled in the clutch going down the road looks to me its been a long time since any grease had been out on this, its as I took it out, I didn't wipe it down. The bearing still was smooth and had grease and the splines on the final drive looked to be in good shape, I put in a hub that I had here and it seemed to fit good and no play,

Orlin

Maybe my memory is shot on this, but I thought those teeth were supposed to have a flat spot at the end of each tooth?

Your memory might be shot, but you are correct on your observance. That hub in the picture is junk. Completely worn out and needs to be replaced.

How does the gear in the rear end look?Earl

Wondering the same thing. Most likely shot also with the hub looking as bad as it does.

Edit: OOPS! Never mind my post. My memory is shot although I doubt it comes from my age.

It seems that the OP was fortunate to have another good hub and stated the final drive was fine. I'm sure he was just showing how bad things can get without greasing the rear regularly.

Edited by grubsie

The splines are supposed to be flat and square, this one is shot, after looking more at the gear on the final drive I can see a lot of ware on there, so I replaced the final drive and hub from a different one. It turns much smoother and a lot quieter. I did also find that the keeper for the needle bearings wasn't holding them in place.

Orlin

Take the snap ring off and pull the 5 pin hub off and make sure to grease them.

The splines are supposed to be flat and square, this one is shot, after looking more at the gear on the final drive I can see a lot of ware on there, so I replaced the final drive and hub from a different one. It turns much smoother and a lot quieter. I did also find that the keeper for the needle bearings wasn't holding them in place.

Orlin

You didn't say but did you do what cowboy suggested on the replacement? It is just as important as greasing the hub gears.

Yes I did take the snap ring off and greased it. I also pulled the drive shaft and found that it had been a long time since it had been greased. From what I understand that the shop that did the tire changes didn't bother using grease.

I take my cycles apart every winter and clean and grease.