I have a strange issue with my bike, the past 2 times I have gone out with my group on a longer ride after a period of time the buttons on the front of the radio will stop working, but if I am just going from home to work or around town the buttons continue to work without any issues, when they stop working sometimes after I get a little slower they will work or when we make a fuel stop when I crank back up they start working again without problems....no matter what the volume knob will always work just not the front buttons....Any suggestions?

Mark

I see you have an 07, I've had the same problems your having. Had my 07 in twice to fix radio. It's now at the dealer again. 3 times is too much I made them order a new one from Clarion, I should have it back by this Thurs. Dealer said it was a warranty issue with Clairon and not Yamaha so it had to be handled with them. I would take it back and let them fix it untill the warranty runs out.

:080402gudl_prv:

John

My 07 was doing that last winter. Everything on the audio control stopped working except the volume control. The problem was only there with the temperature in the 50's or lower. Alway worked in the afternoon when it was warmer. I figured the dealer would never find it if it worked when they had it. Dielectric grease did not fix it but unplugging and replugging would for a while. I did trace it to the connector between the control and the Clarion remote unit. I finally fixed it buy hitting the female contacts on the remote unit side with some WD40 and running a extra 22 gauge contact in and out to clean them. I used the grease after the cleaning and no problems since.

Jerry

About 3 months ago I had the brain replaced on my 03 under warranty. It would cycle through all the functions, go on and off by itself. I tried all the fixes including dialectic grease to no avail. The new brain solved the problem until last Thursday when I hit a bump and it started all over. I guess they will have to order and replace another one. That main component I call the brain costs about 1,000 dollars if you have to replace it. I'm worried now that something else is causing the brain to malfunction. I can't see the new one going out that quick to be a faulty component but I guess it is possible. My warranty goes out I think in May or June and if something else is causing the malfunction I will be in the same boat without a warranty to back me up. I don't know if there is any extended warranty on replaced components. It sounds like some of the problems cited here are similar and may be the same problem if reconnecting and dialectic grease doesn't fix it or it could be in the control module. If anyone has had theirs come and go off and cycle through all the functions on it's own and there was another fix than replacing the brain I would appreciate any feedback. Also vibration from going down the road seems to increase the symptoms and none of the controls respond once these symptoms occur including being able to turn the system off. Sorry for the long post but it relates to the symptoms described here.

About 3 months ago I had the brain replaced on my 03 under warranty. It would cycle through all the functions, go on and off by itself. I tried all the fixes including dialectic grease to no avail. The new brain solved the problem until last Thursday when I hit a bump and it started all over. I guess they will have to order and replace another one. That main component I call the brain costs about 1,000 dollars if you have to replace it. I'm worried now that something else is causing the brain to malfunction. I can't see the new one going out that quick to be a faulty component but I guess it is possible. My warranty goes out I think in May or June and if something else is causing the malfunction I will be in the same boat without a warranty to back me up. I don't know if there is any extended warranty on replaced components. It sounds like some of the problems cited here are similar and may be the same problem if reconnecting and dialectic grease doesn't fix it or it could be in the control module. If anyone has had theirs come and go off and cycle through all the functions on it's own and there was another fix than replacing the brain I would appreciate any feedback. Also vibration from going down the road seems to increase the symptoms and none of the controls respond once these symptoms occur including being able to turn the system off. Sorry for the long post but it relates to the symptoms described here.
The mechanic also isolated the problem by unplugging the control module and the brain continued to cycle. You could hear it with that faint beeping that you hear in the speakers when you are adjusting the controls. I thought this might be pertinent info. By their rationale that ruled out the control module.

Mine acts up once in a while as well. I shut the CB off and back on and it normally gets it working again.

I did the grease trick but it did not help me.

BRad

The first problem reported in this thread is very common, and it is almost always caused by bad connections in the plugs - they surface oxidize on the pins, and unplugging/replugging several times usually scrapes them clean to start working again. The dielectric grease just prevents this from happening again.

I have also noticed a second problem on both of my RSVs (05 and 07) that ONLY happens when using both the radio (or Aux) and the CB. The symptoms are quite similar, but in this case, even the volume control quits functioning and you cannot switch from one radio to the other. In fact, I usually only notice the problem when I try to lower the volume a bit and find out it will not change. In this case, turning off either the radio or the CB, then just turning it back on straightens it all out. This is a very intermittent problem, and I have not been able to find a way to duplicate it at will. Because it happens on both of my bikes, I suspect it is a design flaw and not something that can be fixed. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I can't tell you what is causing this problem, but the first thing I would suspect is a poor ground connection. Second would be right back to checking all the plugs - I'd plug and unplug ALL of the radio harnesses in fairing and under seats at least 5 times each in an effort to clean the oxide off the plug pins.

More importantly, however, is that you keep all the paperwork from the service complaints and warranty claims made on this problem. If it continues happening after your warranty expires, the manufacturer MUST honor the warranty claim until it is fixed properly. This is true for any item documented during a warranty period, and it protects you against intermittent problems that cannot be easily isolated and fixed in a timely manner. I believe this is part of The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the federal law that governs consumer product warranties. The sooner you take it back in for another claim on the same thing after they supposedly fixed it, the better your argument that it actually was never fixed at all. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose