IGNORED

Venture droppers, not so anonymous.

gggGary

OK the thread idea was stolen from the Concours forum. Post your oops here.

Put a lot of miles on the Venture this week.

The set up.

Pulled into a gas station, pavement was slightly sloped away from the side stand. pump on left, turned bars full right to get at filler neck, helmet on back seat gas cap open gloves phone etc laying on bike. Was a strong gust of wind from the left just as I turned back to the bike with the nozzle in my hand. That was the last straw, she was going over, all I could do was slow the descent. Helmet rolled away, cap, phone etc hit the pavement. it was slo-mo and didn't go turtle, no damage beyond a new scratch or two on the roll bars. With my back to bike, hands on throttle grip and passenger grab bar it was easy to pick up. Should have spent more time, made sure it was in gear, side stand full extended but got it all settled with no probs. Guy came over to help after it was all over.

That's my story.

Edited by gggGary

Ha...I had a COG CDA number as a result of a kickstand failure in the U.P. of Michigan when I live at the other end of the lake. Folded my footpeg and shifter in so I had to "kick" over the peg and hook the shifter with my heal (not fun on a sport tourer).

So far no need for a VDA number thank god.

Yup, they are big tall bikes, and when they want to take a nap there is no stopping them! Many of us have similar tales to tell and I'm no exception! A word of warning, when coming out of a parking lot onto the main highway, do NOT stop at the edge of the road where there is a drainage dip and try to put your feet down, it's a loooong way down for your feet to finally come in contact with the ground! On a side note, the wife rode the bike down sideways in perfect riding position, and it was actually comical to see the bike on its side with her still in proper position!!

A very good warning bongobob! Once it's on the way, there is no stopping it and any bike damage will inconsequential compared to a back or foot-leg injury. Get clear, if you can slow it fine, but let it go!

Admission; last fall I attempted to push the RSV up the slight incline into my garage, the epoxy floor let one foot slip just a bit. it was then slow but inevitable, it came to halt with one bag against the garage door frame. Was able to get free, assess the angles and finally got r back upright with no damage to bike or my back.

I guess the point of no return is different for all of us.

So far I have yet to drop the bike with me around to see it. There was one time mine went over to the left while parked in the back yard, The first I knew was when my honey came home and asked why I had the bike laying on its side in the back yard. The side stand had sunk into the ground and over she went. That one was hard to pick up because the side stand was now in the way so I had to lit the bike up and over the side stand to get it back up.

So then I got smart, or so I thought, this spring when I brought the bike out of storage and had it parked on the still very soft ground I had one of my nice polished stainless steel plates under the side stand. Well did I mention the ground was still soft, It was soft enough that the wheels sunk into the ground until the bike fell over on the right side. Much easier to pick up when on the right side, and no side stand in the way.

In case you don't know, when a 1st gen goes over, it goes all the way over till the corners of the fairing are on the ground. Not like a 2nd gen that just goes to the crash bars so you only have to pick it half way back up. Those guards on the 1st gen are just to protect the engine, not to catch the bike.

OK the thread idea was stolen from the Concours forum. Post your oops here.

Put a lot of miles on the Venture this week.

The set up.

Pulled into a gas station, pavement was slightly sloped away from the side stand. pump on left, turned bars full right to get at filler neck, helmet on back seat gas cap open gloves phone etc laying on bike. Was a strong gust of wind from the left just as I turned back to the bike with the nozzle in my hand. That was the last straw, she was going over, all I could do was slow the descent. Helmet rolled away, cap, phone etc hit the pavement. it was slo-mo and didn't go turtle, no damage beyond a new scratch or two on the roll bars. With my back to bike, hands on throttle grip and passenger grab bar it was easy to pick up. Should have spent more time, made sure it was in gear, side stand full extended but got it all settled with no probs. Guy came over to help after it was all over.

That's my story.

Sloped station drives should be outlawed. I was leaving the station with a drive sloping down on the left side but going up hill at the same time to the a main street. I of course stopped to check traffic while still on the property. I was actually stopped and had my feet down. I looked left then found myself and daughter looking up at the sky. We were OK except pride. RSV not much apparent damage but when I got home from my trip with all the scratches and cracked fairing the insurance company was at 74% of value. One more percent and it would have been totaled. Unlike Illinois I would have bought it back but with a "salvaged" title.

Good part is I am repairing the obvious damage myself and pocketing the rest.

If you haven"t dropped a bike yet, your time is coming. If you haven't had "road rash" yet, your time is coming.

I have been riding since 1959 and all of those predictions and more will come true. I have learned from my errors. I hope you do also.

:farmer:

If you haven"t dropped a bike yet, your time is coming. If you haven't had "road rash" yet, your time is coming.

I have been riding since 1959 and all of those predictions and more will come true. I have learned from my errors. I hope you do also.

:farmer:

Yeah its called Get the Hay out of the way, when she is going she is going. I learned that from watching you all....:Im not listening to:missingtooth::255:

I've heard it said many times, "there are two types of bikers, those that have been down and those that are going down". You can also elaborate on that saying by adding, " those that have dropped their bike and those that will drop their bike"

I've done both and have the scars and have fixed enough skint and cracked plastic to prove it. I prefer not to relive those experiences.