IGNORED

Spare 89 Venture. value opinions.

CaseyJ955

Recently I stumbled across an 89 Venture for sale, non running but clean and complete. I know it will need a battery, fork seals or more and some carb futzing to get it running. Im sure there are other things it will need as I get into it. Its a blue 89 Royale with under 40k on the clock. Im going to see it in person this week and fairly likely buy it. What I would like to know is what you seasoned Venturers feel a good price to pay for a bike like this would be, and what it might be worth if I service her and get her going? It is also possible that I will simply part it out, use the lower engine/trans to convert my Vmax into a 1300 and get better gears, then I would have some correct color fairings and such for parts and some resellable stuff. I put a link to the ad in the link section several days ago before I started to think about it.

Thanks.

It's hard to say without seeing it. I assume that it has a good/clear title. Doesn't matter if you are going to part it out but to get running to ride or sell, you will need it.

You say that it's clean but apparently, you haven't seen it. I know from experience that pictures can be deceiving. All that being said and having not seen it, I personally would not pay more than 500 - 1000 dollars for it. That is if the plastic and etc. is in really good shape and there is not a lot of rust all over everything. I would probably be around the $500.00 mark.

For example, there is an '89 for sale here locally. 80,000 miles but the ad says that it runs and rides. Some bumps and bruises it says. The asking price is 1250.00 though. Now the one you are looking at may be in much better condition even if it's not running.

https://rapidcity.craigslist.org/mcy/6064367682.html

Thanks for the fast comeback. According to owner it starts but wont stay running without throttle. I figure a fair chance I could shotgun it and ride it home. He threw out a number well under 1000 that sounds good so I know were on the same page. I dont want to rip the guy off but I have to buy it right. I will see it this coming week and if its in the condition mine is in ill snag it. I let him know that the plastics have to be good and the accessories operational to approach the number he said. Even if I service it and pass it along I need to remember that nobody in SD gives a squat about Ventures so local buyers may be nil. If its a parts bike I was thinking 500 or less. I guess I just want to make sure I dont make an unfair offer, I'll inspect it Wednesday and formulate an offer or pass. I guess I was just fishing for what something like this running might fetch.

I know what you mean about pics being deceptive, I told a story of a pristine red one with 9k that ran like new, I drove all the way to IA to buy this fantastic machine. When I got there I rode a machine with 109k that needed lots of maintaince and repair, many cosmetic issues and a noisy engine. The owner did not intentionally misrepresent the bike, he really didnt know. I accidentally found my current Venture on the way back from this trip. I paid $2050 for mine and its very nice but I still ended up dumping quite a bit of $$ into it to make it just right.

https://rapidcity.craigslist.org/mcy/6064367682.html

Thanks for the fast comeback. According to owner it starts but wont stay running without throttle. I figure a fair chance I could shotgun it and ride it home. He threw out a number well under 1000 that sounds good so I know were on the same page. I dont want to rip the guy off but I have to buy it right. I will see it this coming week and if its in the condition mine is in ill snag it. I let him know that the plastics have to be good and the accessories operational to approach the number he said. Even if I service it and pass it along I need to remember that nobody in SD gives a squat about Ventures so local buyers may be nil. If its a parts bike I was thinking 500 or less. I guess I just want to make sure I dont make an unfair offer, I'll inspect it Wednesday and formulate an offer or pass. I guess I was just fishing for what something like this running might fetch.

I know what you mean about pics being deceptive, I told a story of a pristine red one with 9k that ran like new, I drove all the way to IA to buy this fantastic machine. When I got there I rode a machine with 109k that needed lots of maintaince and repair, many cosmetic issues and a noisy engine. The owner did not intentionally misrepresent the bike, he really didnt know. I accidentally found my current Venture on the way back from this trip. I paid $2050 for mine and its very nice but I still ended up dumping quite a bit of $$ into it to make it just right.

One of the issues with the bike is fork seals. If they are leaking, the oil will drench the front brakes and render them useless. Better take a trailer and plan on hauling it home.

I would agree on trailering the bike back. Leaking fork seals can make a mess and you don't want to damage the forks if they are really bad.

The bike has a few accessories that add a little value to some. I am not a big fan of all the lights on the bags but some are. The pictures are not great quality, so it makes it hard to tell true condition.

He didn't take any close-ups and there may be a reason. I noticed it has a trailer hitch and I know these bikes can pull a trailer, but it would be something I would not be thrilled about. Just me.

I have a 92 in this same color, and to me, this is the best color the Venture was painted.

I hope it is a deal you can make. :fingers crossed:I hope you get it running and enjoy it. It sounds like you have the practice and experience with getting them up and running.

Good luck,

J.T.

Thanks for the responses. Ill check the brakes for oil contamination and see how the forks feel. When I bought mine the seals were weeping but didnt get to the brakes yet, rode her home 300 mi and by the time I got home I knew she would need fork overhaul, brakes and steering bearings. The bike in question is maybe a 10 minute ride from my front door. If the brakes are soaked I wont chance it, even for a few minutes. If it is what he says there is a good chance I can gimp it home.

I have so much love into my current Venture that Im sure this one will either be for parts OR if its too clean to part Ill put some love into her and maybe find her a new home. Maybe ill let my son roll it around for a season or two. I dont need this bike but it would be a shame for it to fall into the wrong hands or end up as scrap. I would even be fine with someone that wants a Venture buying it out from under me. I cant really walk away from it if its an easy fix or has many valuable/useful parts. Its blue! I cant ignore that, now can I?

Yes trailer it home as you hate to back down between Wall and Murdo wouldnt you. And you know it would happen there in the middle of no where. It looks good and has a lot of Ventureline Chrome on it. I see it has the passenger arm rest with it plus all of the rear end chrome goodies. You might be able to recoup your cost on it fixing it up and selling it, but you know what the cost can be to fix the carbs. I would offer him less and go from there. When running properly with all the major issues resolved, I would think you could get $2000 or better with it all cleaned up and shiny.

Good Luck

Rick F.

Yes trailer it home as you hate to back down between Wall and Murdo wouldnt you. And you know it would happen there in the middle of no where. It looks good and has a lot of Ventureline Chrome on it. I see it has the passenger arm rest with it plus all of the rear end chrome goodies. You might be able to recoup your cost on it fixing it up and selling it, but you know what the cost can be to fix the carbs. I would offer him less and go from there. When running properly with all the major issues resolved, I would think you could get $2000 or better with it all cleaned up and shiny.

Good Luck

Rick F.

The first Venture I bought was way out there in Mitchell, it was a shakey ride with the hammered neck bearings and tired forks. The one Im going to see Wed is a 10 minute ride from my house so if it will move and stop I'll probably see if I get her home. I live in Harley country so I must know someone with a trailer if it comes to that.

Ive got my eyes on those passenger arm rests for my main Venture, I think wifey will dig that. Ideally it will still be a decent solid runner with a little love. I hope to have time to check diaphragms and some other points of expensive repairs. The number I have in my head is $500 which is less than what he said but Ill have to see. I guess for this to work I should be into it for under $800 before its safely ridable. If its worth $2000 everywhere else then I might be lucky to get $1500 here. Worst case for $500 I get a cache of parts and a 1300 low end for my vmax.

Im glad to know the aprox value, I was hoping it would land around the 2k mark, I would rather someone get a solid Venture for a fair price than turn it into parts. My son has shown interest in my Venture so maybe Ill see how he does with this one.

Sounds like it could be a great deal for you. Offer him the low money and see how it goes, as you might be the only one that has contacted him about it and he might just want it gone. I did that for a friend on a bike, guy said no at first and called me back couple days latter and accepted the offer.

Good luck.

Rick F.

He told me I was the only one to respond, Ill still offer him a fair price as he seems like a straight up guy, but a fair price may be less than he wants. When I see it I will know if its a nice bike that needs a little love or if its a well used bike that needs lots and lots of love. Ill update Wednesday for sure, I wont be able to actually pick it up until Sunday because im still working. Unless its pristine I'm probably topping out at $500-600. More if its decent and not in a deep state of disrepair, less if its a straight up parts bike. Ill see if I cant get a better pic of it when I see it. Thanks again for the guidance.

Went to check it out, not quite as clean as I had hoped but still somewhere between fair and good. Crack in right main fairing and road rash on both side fairings, not terribly noticable. The cb and stereo inlay plastics arent great either. The rest of the body is good. The faux tank is torn from someone trying to remove it not knowing about the tab. It turns over and can be coaxed intto an idle, sort of, but wont tolerate muxh throttle. Maybe a shotgun but thinking to trailor it home and pull the carbs, set floats and clean them out good. I feel like it will run well. Im really sittng at the $300-400 range I think.

I cant attach photo w phone, it has a rag zip tied to the fork for oil control, the brakes sre still.dry.

Not running well could also be caused by corrosion in the spark circuitry such as in the copper core wire where it screws into the spark plug caps. I just bought some new NGK caps from ngk.com and some copper wire from O'reillys to replace mine. The NGK caps have 5k ohms resistance versus the OE caps with 9k ohms. So, I'm hoping for a hotter spark to keep it running smooth.

Not running well could also be caused by corrosion in the spark circuitry such as in the copper core wire where it screws into the spark plug caps. I just bought some new NGK caps from ngk.com and some copper wire from O'reillys to replace mine. The NGK caps have 5k ohms resistance versus the OE caps with 9k ohms. So, I'm hoping for a hotter spark to keep it running smooth.
. Im glad to know that, he had a couple.of the plugs out to replace, I put the old ones back in and fired it up. Ill have a look at the caps and wires. I cant find a trailer so if he accepts my offer Ill pull the carb rack, bring it home and return the following day to replace it and ride home...hopefully. Ill bring some extra HTN lead with me from bulk I have laying around, prolly much easier to replace that with the rack out of the way.

Unknown if ethanol, he never put gas in it and its been sitting garaged for months. He only put a couple miles on it and put it up, said he wanted something louder and got a twin road star. Im sure the fuel is nasty but forgot to give it a whiff.

If anyone in the Rapid City area has a trailor and an hour Im happy to pay for your time to get her moved from the valley to up Rimrock scenic/44 west. PM me (long shot I know)

Seller is hanging onto $700. Im lingering at around $400 or less but I think its probably worth it to the right buyer. I let him know if he got it running it would help a lot, gave him my # incase he needs assist working on it, but it is still for sale in Western SD if anyone is looking for a project. I told him if it doesnt sell to call me and I would still take it at a lower price. Unfortunately old non-running Yamahas have all the market value of used dental floss around here. Id like to see him get his asking but I suspect Ill have another swing at this. I'll update in the future if I end up with it which is very possible.

Thanks everyone for the input and wisdom. You guys rock!

Did they have that stuff in stock somewhere? Hard to beat those prices.

O'reillys had to order the wire (I think a roll of wire.)but it came overnight. The NGK caps came in a few days after ordering. By the way their web site NGK.com will select the correct cap for you.

O'reillys had to order the wire (I think a roll of wire.)but it came overnight. The NGK caps came in a few days after ordering. By the way their web site NGK.com will select the correct cap for you.

That works for me, I think I remember a post with this. Its the first thing I'll pick up if/when I end up doing this project.

Check your local Uhaul as they have them available. I haved used them a few times. Sounds like a fair price for the VR to me.

Rick F.

I may have too. Id have to find a truck too.

Do you figure im on the low side with my number? I figured with it not running and some of the valuable plastics being damaged 300-400 was a good range, I dont think it would take much to get her going, am afternoon with the carbs and fork seals and it might be an okay runner. Did I maybe lowball him?

Yeah Casey there is no way I would give 700 for it sounds like it needs love. I think 550-600 would be fair on it tho. Carb work is quite expensive a little better if you pull them and take them in.. But when you can do it yourself its alot better and cheaper.

"Never ride faster then your guardian angel can fly."

Price quote is 2 yrs old but fork repair is about 150 Carb repair if they pull it and needs no parts 650... Mine I pulled they said no parts would run about 250... I picked them up cost me 540 it needed some parts. The ngk caps are cheap, napa carries copper core wire at 20 cent a foot I bought 20 ft... Worse case I think 550-600 is a fair price for a bike and it don't look all that bad.. And ebay or zipties work wonders....

"Never ride faster then your guardian angel can fly."