IGNORED

Blueridge Parkway

Carbon_One

New info regarding the BRP

https://www.facebook.com/groups/554011954652294/permalink/1246773298709486/

URGENT CALL TO ACTION--The National Park Service Plans to resurface 150 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway with "chip seal" asphalt

Following is the text of an email that was sent to VP Mike Pence, Sens. Burr & Tillis

It refers to a plan to chip seal 150 miles of the Blue Ridge Pkwy. in NC.

This would be an absolutely terrible plan for motorcyclists and the tourism industry in NC.

I could not email the US House members, they won't allow emails if you do not live in their districts.

The districts affected are Dist. 5, 10 and 11.

Dist. 5 is Virginia Foxx, Dist. 10 is Patrick McHenry, Dist. 11 is Mark Meadows.

You can get to their info at:

Members of the U.S. Congress

Profiles of U.S. Representatives and Senators that include their legislative activity.

http://www.congress.gov

Edited by Carbon_One

Thanks Larry. Not good news at all. That means that 100 miles of BRP will be off limits with all the loose gravel and messy tar, unless they devise a new system for doing it. We did some roads here in Brant County last year, and one would not really have known it had it not been for the 'loose gravel' signs, so it can be done somehow.

North Carolina is my state and I ride on many chip seal highways and never have had a problem. The first road I encounter when leaving my access gravel road is chip seal. I don't see any problem. Now if you are the first to follow the spreader and tack truck, you will need to be careful and also have a lot of cleanup when you get home.

:farmer:

That was Oklahoma's favorite way to "fix" roads. Spray a little tar and dump gravel. Cars pack it down good as new right? Not so much. I have had the ocasion to hit these roads very soon after the gravel. Man it aint fun. Cowpuc may be fine 2 trackin on one of these big ole bikes, but it aint my idea of fun.

New info regarding the BRP

https://www.facebook.com/groups/554011954652294/permalink/1246773298709486/

URGENT CALL TO ACTION--The National Park Service Plans to resurface 150 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway with "chip seal" asphalt

Following is the text of an email that was sent to VP Mike Pence, Sens. Burr & Tillis

It refers to a plan to chip seal 150 miles of the Blue Ridge Pkwy. in NC.

This would be an absolutely terrible plan for motorcyclists and the tourism industry in NC.

I could not email the US House members, they won't allow emails if you do not live in their districts.

The districts affected are Dist. 5, 10 and 11.

Dist. 5 is Virginia Foxx, Dist. 10 is Patrick McHenry, Dist. 11 is Mark Meadows.

You can get to their info at:

Members of the U.S. Congress

Profiles of U.S. Representatives and Senators that include their legislative activity.

http://www.congress.gov

I would love to know more about this project but, since I don't ride a trike I am excluded from see the post.

I'm with you Carbon One, I live in Georgia rural area and a lot of our roads were done with that process. It is not just the loose gravel, which is deadly.

The surface is rough and tires do not grip as well, especially when wet.

Some friends and I were riding in north Georgia mountains and ran up on a section of road where they had done only a 3ft. wide strip on one side. Don't know how long it had been done but there was loose gravel on the road. You could see where it had piled up and and been disturbed and sent back on the roadway.

The worst part was trying to get back on the road from a pull off that had gravel on the egress.

I can say that out of our group, which most have been riding for many a year, everyone said that that was some of the most A... Puckering ride they had done.

:goodpost: DW