IGNORED

Dying a mysterious death ... then OK ... then not!

No, the fuel system is electrically more complex than that. Part of the fuel pump relay circuitry is a system that only allows the fuel pump to run for a few seconds UNTIL it detects a running bike! Until it sees a continuous pulse from the ignition meaning the bike is running, it will not turn the fuel pump back on after the initial few seconds of running. Turning the key on starts the sequence over again. That is why every time you turn the key on the fuel pump only runs for a few seconds and stops.

No, the fuel system is electrically more complex than that. Turning the key on starts the sequence over again. That is why every time you turn the key on the fuel pump only runs for a few seconds and stops.

OK... hmmm..... So I know it will run on gravity for a little while... I guess I need to do that and see if the pump runs???

I'm kind of lost here now...

Thanks

The fuel pump runs for a "duty cycle" when you first turn on the key. This is to fill the carbs and get some fuel to them. Then once bike is running it will or should get power in kind of an "off and on" deal to supply fuel. Now weather that is done by a timed relay or a electrical impulse via the ECM.

No, the fuel system is electrically more complex than that. Part of the fuel pump relay circuitry is a system that only allows the fuel pump to run for a few seconds UNTIL it detects a running bike! Until it sees a continuous pulse from the ignition meaning the bike is running, it will not turn the fuel pump back on after the initial few seconds of running. Turning the key on starts the sequence over again. That is why every time you turn the key on the fuel pump only runs for a few seconds and stops.

OK... hmmm..... So I know it will run on gravity for a little while... I guess I need to do that and see if the pump runs???

I'm kind of lost here now...

Thanks

Hey Dog,, not sure if the 2nd Gen like you are working on will cycle the pump off the kill switch or not - 1st Gens will do so by flipping the kill switch on and off instead of using the key switch to do so - if your second gen will cycle pump the using the kill switch you should use that switch as its easier on the key switch.

That said - what you might wanna try is turn the key on - listen carefully for the pump to cycle - as mentioned by Bongo, it will only run for short time before cycling off. Now either turn the key off and back on again or flip the kill switch to off and then back on again to get the pump to go thru another cycle. If you hear the pump "clicking" it is suppose to be pumping - as the bowls on the carbs fill to full the pump will slow down in it clicking until it stops. There will be a distinct = "click, click,, click,,,, click,,,,,,,,,,,,click" when they are full.. If you cycle the pump say,,,, 15 times and the pump never gets to the point that it is definitely telling you the bowls are full by the loss of the clicking sound OR you dont have a puddle of gas forming under the scoot coming from your carb overflows - you are definitley not pumping fuel to the carbs..

Make sense?

I can make a quick video of that whole process if I am hard to follow (normal for me) in what I am trying to explain?????

Hey Dog,, not sure if the 2nd Gen like you are working on will cycle the pump off the kill switch or not - 1st Gens will do so by flipping the kill switch on and off instead of using the key switch to do so - if your second gen will cycle pump the using the kill switch you should use that switch as its easier on the key switch.

That said - what you might wanna try is turn the key on - listen carefully for the pump to cycle - as mentioned by Bongo, it will only run for short time before cycling off. Now either turn the key off and back on again or flip the kill switch to off and then back on again to get the pump to go thru another cycle. If you hear the pump "clicking" it is suppose to be pumping - as the bowls on the carbs fill to full the pump will slow down in it clicking until it stops. There will be a distinct = "click, click,, click,,,, click,,,,,,,,,,,,click" when they are full.. If you cycle the pump say,,,, 15 times and the pump never gets to the point that it is definitely telling you the bowls are full by the loss of the clicking sound OR you dont have a puddle of gas forming under the scoot coming from your carb overflows - you are definitley not pumping fuel to the carbs..

Make sense?

I can make a quick video of that whole process if I am hard to follow (normal for me) in what I am trying to explain?????

I think we should have cowpuc to make a video :Avatars_Gee_George:, Because well he is just good at making video's.Plus I am wondering about this hotwire he has on his bike. He was talking about some red wire and he would show us later

Make sense?

I can make a quick video of that whole process if I am hard to follow (normal for me) in what I am trying to explain?????[/quote

No video needed my friend. You did fine. I replaced the OEM pump with a Mr. Gasket 1-1/2 seasons ago. I need it to warm up a bit here and then I'll go back at it and post what I find.

Thanks for the advice & your time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good morning, I wanted to pass along what seems to be the wrap-up for this issue.

Had a nice day here yesterday so go this done ... I think ... I hope

As suspected, it seems the starting circuit relay was the issue. It is the one in the manual listed as the side stand relay. It is tucked up behind the center side-to-side body panel in front of and below the seat. I changed that relay, and also installed a Facet fuel pump, which fit into same location as the old one. Did a small bit of re-piping and put a fuel filter under the seat area. Buttoned everything back up and took it for two very short rides and let it idle over a 2 hour period.

No stalling issues!!! that's an improvement!

Thanks all for your help

Mike