IGNORED

Fried relay help please....

So, it's finally warm enough to swap in a Facet fuel pump, and as I'm digging in the space below the seat - in front of the battery, in the area that would normally be behind the plastic cover I find this burnt relay. I am hoping someone can tell me what it is?? I am not sure if it is #39 or #40 in the RSVparts pdf, or maybe I am way off base.

Any chance this runs the fuel pump??

What does it run?

I suppose I can figure that out if I was sure what it was, or what to check to figure out what it is.

I don't suppose some Gorilla Glue will help?

relay2.jpg

Thanks again as always

Mike

OK, it's kind of hard to recognize that roasty toasty looking part but I'm thinking it is the remains of your Starting circuit cut-off relay and fuel pump relay assembly. It normally is mounted with a rubber hanger assembly which slides onto a metal tang. Mine fell off once and laid on top of the engine and partially melted and intermittently put a ground on the circuit which resulted in a couple of red warning lights on the dash, and an unwanted automatic start engine when the key was turned on! So yes, part of that assembly is the fuel pump relay, and the other part is part of the start circuit. Either way, it's a $100 component unless you can find one on Ebay...

OK, it's kind of hard to recognize that roasty toasty looking part but I'm thinking it is the remains of your Starting circuit cut-off relay and fuel pump relay assembly. ...

Interesting... because what started this whole thing was a fuel pump problem...

Would that relay be mounted behind the plastic body panel under the seat that connects the two side panels? This was swinging loose there...

Found it by accident while trying to plan a new fuel pump location.

Edited by Mad Dog

I just cleaned my flasher relay...what side of the bike is that

Not really on a side. There is a plastic body panel that passes under the seat area, and connects the two side panels. It was kinds of swinging loose in there... kind of looks like it might have been mounted like bongobob said...

Not sure, but thats where I found it.

Just going on old and weak memories, but I do not recall any stock relay in that location. From your picture, it looks more like an aftermarket horn relay that someone did a very poor job of installing. The obvious answer is to track down the wires that connect to it. IF it is stock from yamahaha, the wires will go into an existing wire bundle, if aftermarket, they will probably just be flapping free as individual loose wires.

I THINK the fuel pump relay is part of the starter relay, but I am REALLY NOT sure of that - those memories are old and dusty, and I don't feel like digging into the schematic to find out! I do know the starter relay has multiple parts and diodes, and one piece is for the side stand cutout; other than that, I have only sketchy memories.

OK ... so ... although I found the relay hanging in the center like bomgobobny said I fished it out, cleaned and chipped things off and removed it. The part numbers is the 5EA-81590 so it refers back to the side stand relay... but it was definitely not under the left side cover like the service manual shows...

Plus this was mounted exactly where and how bongobobny said - rubber hangy thing slid onto a metal tab.

Plus when I do look into the void... there is no starting circuit cut-off relay in there like there "should" be.

This relay has 12 tangs... seems like a lot for a side stand relay... I am so confused.

I checked the schematics and it looks like the Starting cut off relay #11 - has a bunch of wires as you would expect ... but the parts manual references my part number being "for side stand". Ron Ayres calls it a relay assemble "for side stand"

It this some kind of misleading translation error or something? Why does the side stand interlock need anything but a switch at the stand?

Any ideas??

20170219_125639.jpg

ScreenHunter_242 Feb. 19 13.33.jpg

Edited by Mad Dog

So as I was shopping for the 5EA-81950-00-00, I saw a picture of the pin pattern that looks nothing like I have in my hand. Then I realize what I am finding online is actually a 5EA-81950-20-00 ... so I am assuming they are nto the same...

I punched in the other number on the relay which is G8R-30Y-J and what I am holding in my hand pops up...

But I can't find that second number anywhere in the parts book.

Can anyone clarify what is going on here? Is the the 20-00 suffix versus the 00-00 one? but then why doesnt the G8R-30Y-J show up anywhere?

And what is this relay really for???

These pictures are what my fried relay is ... two numbers on the front and the pin pattern I have.

ScreenHunter_242 Feb. 19 19.52.jpg

ScreenHunter_242 Feb. 19 19.53.jpg

And here is what I am finding for the pin pattern on the 5EA-81950 relay

ScreenHunter_242 Feb. 19 20.03.jpg

OK, the first relay you showed with the multipin connectors IS your Starting Circuit Cut-Off Relay and Fuel Pump Relay Assembly!! There should be 11 wires all together on the connector, Blue/Black Blue/Red and Black/Yellow for the fuel pump, Blue/Yellow Red/Black Sky Blue and Blue for the SCCOR, Green/Red to the water temp warning light, Black/Red from the oil level switch, Black/White for the low oil level warning light, and Blue/White from the start switch.

I looked at the Yamaha Electrical Information pdf and I'm sort of convinced it's on drugs!! Pretty vague as to where things go! From the RSV parts manual here's what I find under "Electrical 1"

40 1UY-81950-92-00 RELAY ASSEMBLY . . . . . . . . . 1

OK, the first relay you showed with the multipin connectors IS your Starting Circuit Cut-Off Relay and Fuel Pump Relay Assembly!! here's what I find under "Electrical 1"

40 1UY-81950-92-00 RELAY ASSEMBLY . . . . . . . . . 1

I agree with all the ancillary information... but the number actually on the burned out relay is the 5EA one, which is designated side stand relay in the manual. I will cut some wire out of the loom tonight, but I think we agree on what I have... however what do I order?? hahahaha...

There has to be a typo in the book that is, naturally, carried across everyone's parts databases. Right? Like check this out... heres a site where the 11 pin relay is called a side stand relay and is listed under the second code G8R-30Y-J http://pinwallcycle.com/product_info.php?cPath=&products_id=606024

Guess I'll order this one

ScreenHunter_242 Feb. 20 06.06.jpg

Thanks again ...

Hey, a boneyard is not going to know their a$$ from a hole in the ground sometimes...

No doubt about that!!!

So it turns out I heard back from one place and they said the 5EA-81950-20-00 is different than the 5EA-81950-00-00.

Also look at what partszilla is showing for the relay number you and the manual give.

The only number returning anything that looks like what I need is the G8R-30Y-J number which isn't in the book .... This is crazy

ScreenHunter_473 Feb. 20 11.16.jpg

And then there's this ....

ScreenHunter_474 Feb. 20 11.20.jpg

Ok you arent gonna believe me but, I figured out what that was only problem is I can not figure out why you would need a power mirror switch from an 02 tahoe on your motorcycle, Anyways I replaced mine today and the plug configuration is almost spot on with what you found on the bike. But maybe you should look under Chevy parts for this relay.... just a silly thought.:Avatars_Gee_George:

I am new to this site, but I was thinking while reading this post...." I would not pay a bunch of money for a special Yamaha relay when I could make a $10.00 relay from an ole Chevy do the same job. A relay is just a relay, a electrical switch." I have repaired old boats with car parts when the boat parts could not be found (1970 Chrysler outboard). Possibly a previous owner did something along the same lines to your Yammer? But did a simi-crappy job installing and doing the conversion? Anyway, I am glad you found the problem. :178:

If I have spoken blasphemy to the purest, I apologize :innocent:.

... If I have spoken blasphemy to the purest, I apologize :innocent:.

No worries. This relay does a lot of things involving the starting circuit and the fuel pump, sidestand interlock etc. and it is 10 years old.

Yes, a relay is just a relay but my thinking is that I don't want to save $50 over the next few years and face having an issue; especially in light of the fact that I am not !00% sure this was the ONLY problem. I need to eliminate it completely to be able to move on.