IGNORED

RSTD help welcome.

calperin

This morning, I stated & warmed my RSTD'97 and after a couple of blocks, once on the highway it start failing, then I realize that all my electricity was gone. No reading on the mileage LCD Display, slowing almost totally.

Good think I was on the side of the highway, I take first exit, and stated to see how slowly it tried to get dead. then suddenly power show up. And after speeding a little dead again, and like this a couple of times. Trip marked 91 miles, but when power come back the tank light started to be almost iluminated. then went off again, and this happened a couple of times. After run a couple of blocks back home suddenly everything come back normal.

Anyone has a clue what is going on? Did someone else has a problem like this?

Any info will be highly appretiated.

:sick::sick: (Over all because I finally drove to my job, and now I'm 20 miles from home....)

Hey Peg, how have you been?

Can you tell me more about that switch problem. Now, I need to press the brake to get electricity, and after stop the bike, I didn't get any more power.

It is going to be a long walk back home....

Do the RSTD's have the same ignition switch as the RSV? If so that could be the problem, but it sounds to me like there is an issue with the battery cables. Maybe the ground cable is loose at the engine frame.

Well, the ground is not loose, only the upper side of the bolt is a little rust but not even close to the cable contact.

What is the ignition switch issue? I test at lunch the bike, and now only way to make it power is pressing the brake lever a little, but still everything electric is crazy.

Thanks

:confused24::confused24::confused24:

Carlos,

The ignition switches fail and do strange things, it seems like it might be pointing in that direction. Sleeperhawk had a problem a few weeks ago with the bike just dying and they got it back going by spraying the hell out of the inside of the switch with WD 40. Give that a try and I would look into replacing that switch soon.

Carlos,

The ignition switches fail and do strange things, it seems like it might be pointing in that direction. Sleeperhawk had a problem a few weeks ago with the bike just dying and they got it back going by spraying the hell out of the inside of the switch with WD 40. Give that a try and I would look into replacing that switch soon.

Yep that worked, but I have a new ignition switch now (replaced under warranty) and so far so good. :cool10:

First at all, I want to thank all and everyone for the help. We never feel alone when the problems show up...

Now, the winners are Carbon_One and Salty_dawg.

They report the problem has to be around the battery.

The positive has a bronze contact that looked as strong, but after shake the cables, it slided. As soon as I enforce the pressure on the bolt, power come back and never failed again.

Also, the backfiring that use to had minimized, so I have to believe that this microcuts on the power are totally related to this contact issue.

However, is important to think about all the problems reported by you guys. That can show up with the time.

To all of you

:bighug:

Glad to hear you found the problem Carlos. Electrical failures can be tricky critters at time to diagnosis and even more elusive when doing it intermittely as in your case here. Any one of the folks could have nailed the problem with their suggestions as sometimes it's more luck or educated guess to the solution.

Larry

the stanard royals '96-'01 did have ignition problems and also around the battery area, some of the electrical connections get corroded and loose connection. you can also checkout the royal star-v-4 rocks forum on delphiforums.com. if you can't find it pm me and i'll get a address for you, don.