IGNORED

I don't think my 84 makes a good bobber

CMCOFFEY

New diaphragms are in. The bike is still running like crud. It is surging and popping like crazy. I ordered a bike spark detector because my car one has to be held to use on bikes and that hurts. It should be here today. I will make sure I have spark, clean all my plugs again go from there. I also need to sync the carbs still, I have just been way to busy with getting back to work after my deployment and 40+ days off.

"Back to my main point though, this bike does not make an easy chop or Bob."

Might not be easy, but once you have taken off all the unnecessary stuff the bike is faster and handles great. The center of gravity is very low which makes it feel much lighter than it really is. I even moved the battery down below the transmission to help keep the weight positioned low.

zag

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=107674

Saw that bike at the slimy crud a few years ago! Love it!

"the road less traveled LOL

New diaphragms are in. The bike is still running like crud. It is surging and popping like crazy. I ordered a bike spark detector because my car one has to be held to use on bikes and that hurts. It should be here today. I will make sure I have spark, clean all my plugs again go from there. I also need to sync the carbs still, I have just been way to busy with getting back to work after my deployment and 40+ days off.

The original symptoms of running only with choke and it wont take any throttle have been cured on my v4 with the "shotgun" cleaning method. I have never had success with the "peashooter" method.

What I didnt see is if when it was allowed to sit over time, did it have ethanol tainted fuel in it? Given enough time that stuff gets so nasty that the only way to clean it out properly may be to open up the carbs. My experience with these carbs is that they are very sensitive to anything other than fuel.

The original symptoms of running only with choke and it wont take any throttle have been cured on my v4 with the "shotgun" cleaning method. I have never had success with the "peashooter" method.

What I didnt see is if when it was allowed to sit over time, did it have ethanol tainted fuel in it? Given enough time that stuff gets so nasty that the only way to clean it out properly may be to open up the carbs. My experience with these carbs is that they are very sensitive to anything other than fuel.

I did the shotgun method to get it so it will run without the choke and I could give it throttle. It sat for over a year. I was almost out of gas when it was sitting. I have added new fuel and some additives (chemtool and fuel system cleaner) I am going to check the spark tomorrow to make sure I am sparking on all 4. If that is the case, I will continue to run it until it clears up. I will also sync my carbs tomorrow and hopefully make some progress.

I did the shotgun method to get it so it will run without the choke and I could give it throttle. It sat for over a year. I was almost out of gas when it was sitting. I have added new fuel and some additives (chemtool and fuel system cleaner) I am going to check the spark tomorrow to make sure I am sparking on all 4. If that is the case, I will continue to run it until it clears up. I will also sync my carbs tomorrow and hopefully make some progress.

Ethanol tainted fuel is good for two, maybe 3 months tops when left to sit. It draws so much moisture from the atmosphere that if allowed to sit could have left a layer of water and ethanol sludge in your carbs, over a year I would speculate that its almost certain.

I have heard of products that are supposed to break up the ethanol sludge and suspend it and the water back into the fuel allowing it to pass through the engine but have not used any such product. Maybe something like that will have the desired effect, rather than an additive not specifically designed to address problems related to ethanal tainted fuel. Im with you on not wanting too pull the carbs and I hope it works.

Btw the bobber looks great, just fold up a bath towell to sit on and your good to go:superman:

Not sure leaving that chemtool in the system very long is a good idea?

I only checked the right side tonight because I need to help around the house, but the right rear cylinder is not firing at all. The front right one fires when it wants. It is very spuratic and sometimes misses several cycles. Looks like I will be replacing my ignition system.

Anybody have any recommendations for good ones? Or does anyone have any knowledge of something else that causes cylinders not to fire?

I only checked the right side tonight because I need to help around the house, but the right rear cylinder is not firing at all. The front right one fires when it wants. It is very spuratic and sometimes misses several cycles. Looks like I will be replacing my ignition system.

Anybody have any recommendations for good ones? Or does anyone have any knowledge of something else that causes cylinders not to fire?

What did you use to check for spark? I would check the condition of HT leads and that the coils are getting consistent voltage while running. Im not sure why but it feels odd that multi coils would fail at the same time when it ran properly when parked. Ive never had a TCI fail so I dont know how tbat goes down, maybe someone else can comment on that.

To answer your question, COPs (coil on plug) are a common upgrade for ignition system, im doing a set for mine now. A forum search will give you some good reading on this. The other thing I can do is offer you my old coils as I take them off, mine runs and rides ok. You can have them free if you cover shipping but for some reason Im thinking that might be urinating up the wrong waterfall.

Sounds like what happened with my bike when the starter went out, I chased that darn miss for months replaced wires and such. I also replaced the tci and ended up with same spark issue, Altho my old TCI was faulty. But with new to me one it was doing just about the same thing. What would happen tho is it seemed to run good at idle till it got warm then start to like a miss then one day it just started missing all the time went and pulled the caps off while they were hot and 2 out of 4 rattled, went down and got some ngk caps and replaced the OEM one with those got them all plugged in and the darn miss was gone. So I would suggest going to a car parts shop like a napa or something and get the 7mm wire I payed like .66 cents per foot for mine got 10 foot of it and get you some ngk spark plug caps and see what happens. My OEM wires needed replacing they were corroded all the way thru and I think bongo said something about something broke down inside the cap. When I took the one cap apart it had like 3 thin copper pieces that came out not sure where they came from but they were all round.

What did you use to check for spark? I would check the condition of HT leads and that the coils are getting consistent voltage while running. Im not sure why but it feels odd that multi coils would fail at the same time when it ran properly when parked. Ive never had a TCI fail so I dont know how tbat goes down, maybe someone else can comment on that.

To answer your question, COPs (coil on plug) are a common upgrade for ignition system, im doing a set for mine now. A forum search will give you some good reading on this. The other thing I can do is offer you my old coils as I take them off, mine runs and rides ok. You can have them free if you cover shipping but for some reason Im thinking that might be urinating up the wrong waterfall.

I used a Bike master spark detector. I will check the coils tomorrow.

Thank you for the offer, if my coils are bad, I'll use this as an excuse to upgrade to newer better technology.

Ummmm, I'm thinking it's corrosion on one or more connectors. And, even new COPS ain't gonna work if there is no input signal to them! Actually 1st gen coils don't fail that often but are susceptible to the dreaded green growth inside the caps. When you pull the plug wires to check, you will want to cut about 1/4" off the end so that when you reinsert them the metal tang will make a new hole into the conductor, and make sure those rubber o rings are on the wire far back enough so that when you screw the cap on it will firmly hold the wire in place so it doesn't come out.

The second place to check is the connectors for the TCI. If the pins get corroded you could loose the 12 volt firing command for the coil. Providing that the bike was properly stored and not left out in the elements I kind of doubt the TCI went bad unless there was a lot of humidity causing moisture to get trapped inside the box. I doubt that is the case as you live in an arid climate, right?

So, yup check for proper spark! Also, keep in mind you can have a bad cap that is loosing spark as well! Somewhere on this site is instructions for disassembling and servicing the plug caps...

I am pretty sure I found my issues. TCI connectors were really bad. So I used some cleaner and 1500 grit sand paper to lightly clean them.

My other issue is picture below.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/coffeyR6/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20161108_121511919.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/coffeyR6/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20161108_121506434.jpg

I had to cut several inches off to get to not corroded wire that was connected to the other end. So I am getting all new boots and getting some 7mm wire and fixing this issue. Hopefully she will pur like a rabid lion after that.

GOOD ON YA COFF!! Looks like your chasing it down!! Might not be a bad idea to double check BongoBobs suggestion.. I have had numerous issues with Plug Caps going high ohm.. Not sure on yours but mine had resistors in em that can give ya all kinda headaches.. IMHO, if the Tach isnt acting really strange after cleaning the pins on the TCI there is a good chance your TCI is still doing its thing..

KEEP PICKING AWAY AT HER = cant wait to see that great big :big-grin-emoticon: in a pic when Genesis gets his heart back :thumbsup:

Yup!! The dreaded green growth!! Hope you are able to clean out the coil, that's the most likely reason to replace coils on the 1st gen, not the coil actually failing...

GOOD POINT BONGO!!! Chris,, I got extra coils your welcome to if ya need em and they will fit,, just give the word.. Not sure whether they are off an 83 or an 84 but I gotta hunch the coils dont matter - Bongo?.. Also got an extra TCI box,,,, all still mounted on the platform together.. Thinking the complete "unit" should be in good shape.. Also thinking the TCI is different from the 83 to 84's.. Seems like the only 84 I ever had (first Venture) had a vac line connected to the nip where ya hook the gauges for syncing, the rest of them - including Tweeks, had the usual little rubber plug there instead.. Bongo,, do you know whether or not Chris would be able to use an 83 TCI on his 84 if indeed his bike is different? :think:,, its entirely possible my train of thought is way out there,, if so,,, forgive my :backinmyday: and you are more than welcome to what ever I got laying around here regardless.. Great to see ya home and tweekin on the scoots again young man - lets get er done so you and your kids can go play!!!!:thumbsup::dancefool:

Ya know what,,, now that I think about this,, I think the unit I have on the shelf is actually off my 1st Venture:scared: (kids named her Beeg - short for "Big Girl).. I can post some pics of it and see if it matches what yours looks like - if it matches and yours is an 84 (I know mine was) it should be a complete quick bolt in.. Be HONORED to support your endeavor!!

My coil points used to look like that so I took some wire and inserted and exited repeatedly till I didn't see it no more then blew the rest out with the CRC Electronics Cleaner. That may be backwards but it seemed to work. I ended buying wire just because by the time I got done trimming they were being pulled kinda tight and thought that was creating my miss. Come to find out it was a single cap but figured might as well replace them all.

I got it off of eBay. It was $20.25 for 10 feet of 7MM 440 spark plug wire. I should only need 7.5 feet, but oh well.

I was trying to do some math in my head is why I was asking because I bought 10 foot for 6.60 plus tax then I bought the caps from the motorcycle boneyard/shop

just thinking about making sets up and selling them. But at $20 I really wouldn't be making much. But I believe pre-made sets go in upwards of 35-40 bucks...

I just need something to do, At the moment other then a few things to tinker with in off season I have nothing. My son wants me to do wood working I don't have the tools to do it. I would like to make tables and chairs to sell but, most people go well I can go to Wal-Mart and get it cheaper. Don't understand the logic of pressed wood furniture.