IGNORED

l.e.d. mystery

baylensman

So here is the issue. i installed a barons switch block a few years back. to this i added l.e.d. lights all over the bike in green. I added front hi way/passing lamps also. The third switch is for two projecter l.e.d.s under the saddle bags that throw a yamaha logo on the ground.

When it gets wet (bike on car port not fully enclosed) the green leds and the projectors will come on very dim. if it hit the switch and turn them on then turn them off they go out, for a while. on very humid evenings the projecters come on dimly but not the green leds every where else. the front passing lamps do not have this issue. i've removed the tank and the seat several times trying to find a bare wire or a short.

i know that the LEDs will shine with just a microwatt of power, so i'm thinking somewhere i'm getting a little galvanic action. just can't find where. next step is to rip out all the LEDS buy new ones and rewire the hole blasted thing unless someone here has an idea

thanks for thinking about it

Edited by baylensman
cant spell worth a darn

My thought is look at ground for the spot lights. If the LED's operate normally, and the spot lights go dim. I kind of think maybe thatsw a good place to look for a ground issue. What are you using for a ground? Are you sure its a solid ground?

My thought is look at ground for the spot lights. If the LED's operate normally, and the spot lights go dim. I kind of think maybe thatsw a good place to look for a ground issue. What are you using for a ground? Are you sure its a solid ground?

The driving lights that do not have an issue i used a ring terminal under a screw i removed and sanded the frame under the screw head. The lights with issues are both direct ground to the battery, I did this because originally i was going to use the remote key fob that came with the lights, but i never installed the processor for them. The projectors in the rear are so close to the battery i also ran that ground wire to the battery. Maybe i'll take both to the frame this weekend.

thanks for the input'

There is no better ground than direct to the battery. Are you sure the battery terminals are clean? Looking clean is not good enough.

If direct to the battery does not fix the dimming then there is a bad contact in the power side somewhere between the battery and the bulb.

If it is still dimming then the power source is in question, in this case the battery and/or the charging system are not capable of supplying enough power to operate everything that is connected and turned on.

:sign yeah that: Just because they are LED, dont mean they are not power hogs. So someone here tells me. You might have to look inside the light itself and check connections. I know some of the LED stuff I have bought, the wires are very small and can get tweaked ad broken easy. guess how many strands of wire it takes to make a connection for 12v?

There is no better ground than direct to the battery. Are you sure the battery terminals are clean? Looking clean is not good enough.

If direct to the battery does not fix the dimming then there is a bad contact in the power side somewhere between the battery and the bulb.

If it is still dimming then the power source is in question, in this case the battery and/or the charging system are not capable of supplying enough power to operate everything that is connected and turned on.

You misunderstand. the light are very bright when turned on! its when it gets damp, they come on by themselves!!!! even with the key in the house the l.e.d.s have a dim glow when very damp outside or during wind blow rain.

the light are very bright when turned on! its when it gets damp, they come on by themselves!!!! even with the key in the house the l.e.d.s have a dim glow when very damp outside or during wind blow rain.
If the LED's are coming on in the damp then there is leakage on the positive side because LED's only work one way. If the projectors are incandescent and glow dimly in the damp they could be getting power through the negative side. The driving lights that appear to be working properly could possibly be also getting power through the ground but it may not be enough to be visible.

When the bike is damp check for voltage between the frame and the negative on the battery. Ideally there should be none although realistically there will be some but very low, under a volt. Any significant voltage in the frame indicates leakage from a positive source elsewhere.

Also at the LED's with the switch off, check for voltage between the positive lead and the negative on the battery. Anything here likely indicates a bad switch or possibly leakage from a positive source.

The most likely cause of leakage other than damaged wires is dirty switches and oily connectors. The oil collects dirt and the dirt holds moisture.

The driving lights that do not have an issue i used a ring terminal under a screw i removed and sanded the frame under the screw head. The lights with issues are both direct ground to the battery, I did this because originally i was going to use the remote key fob that came with the lights, but i never installed the processor for them. The projectors in the rear are so close to the battery i also ran that ground wire to the battery. Maybe i'll take both to the frame this weekend.

thanks for the input'

You misunderstand. the light are very bright when turned on! its when it gets damp, they come on by themselves!!!! even with the key in the house the l.e.d.s have a dim glow when very damp outside or during wind blow rain.

I only partly misunderstood.:whistling: I'm :backinmyday:.

Moving a connection from the battery to the frame will never make it better.

Do you have any connectors between the switch and the LEDs? Measure the voltage across the LEDs when they are damp and glowing dim with everything turned off. If there is a connector in the system disconnect it and see if that voltage is still present on the LED side or the switch side.

For testing, try putting a plastic bag over the switches to keep them dry and see if the damp days will still light the LEDs.

There is a good chance you are getting moisture into the switch and it is allowing some small amount of current to leak past the contacts.

The driving lights may still have the leakage current but the leakage may not be enough to light them even dimly.

You mentioned that it does this even with the keys in the house.

Is this switch panel wired to have power all the time or only with the key turned on?