IGNORED

Carburetor rebuild in Charlotte area

Sylvester

Looking to see if anyone in the area comfortable with rebuilding the carbs on my 02 RSMV. I can take the unit off but am not too comfortable going through them. They have no idle anymore due to my neglect. Run great above 3000 rpm but without choke will die at idle. I had health issues and did not treat the fuel properly. It ran great in late June but not now. I would greatly appreciate any help.

:farmer:

Looking to see if anyone in the area comfortable with rebuilding the carbs on my 02 RSMV. I can take the unit off but am not too comfortable going through them. They have no idle anymore due to my neglect. Run great above 3000 rpm but without choke will die at idle. I had health issues and did not treat the fuel properly. It ran great in late June but not now. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Warning this is just my :2cents: This is only my :2cents:. because if it wasn't my :2cents: I would actually sound inteligent!! :detective:

Well your Idle problem sounds like jet block.. I don't blame you the first time I ever took a carburetor apart was on my 1976 Ford Ranger with 360 motor. That being said and not to sound like smart a$$, I will say this I would rather work on the carbs on these bikes 100 times then have to rebuild another carburetor on a car or truck!!! These motorcycle carbs are pretty simple and to the point!! The only real PITA is getting them off the bike and back on the bike. Maybe you could remove just one Carb and Take a shot at it. That was the original plan the first time I did mine. I ended up rebuilding them myself. I will say I was in a little bit of shock because I find them so simple, But the shop here has probably 20 guys that work there, And only two of them will touch carburetors. A guy my girlfriend works with used to work there and he refuses to do his own carb work, He said he would literally destroy them trying to do it himself. This was just my :2cents:

Warning this is just my :2cents: This is only my :2cents:. because if it wasn't my :2cents: I would actually sound inteligent!! :detective:

Well your Idle problem sounds like jet block.. I don't blame you the first time I ever took a carburetor apart was on my 1976 Ford Ranger with 360 motor. That being said and not to sound like smart a$$, I will say this I would rather work on the carbs on these bikes 100 times then have to rebuild another carburetor on a car or truck!!! These motorcycle carbs are pretty simple and to the point!! The only real PITA is getting them off the bike and back on the bike. Maybe you could remove just one Carb and Take a shot at it. That was the original plan the first time I did mine. I ended up rebuilding them myself. I will say I was in a little bit of shock because I find them so simple, But the shop here has probably 20 guys that work there, And only two of them will touch carburetors. A guy my girlfriend works with used to work there and he refuses to do his own carb work, He said he would literally destroy them trying to do it himself. This was just my :2cents:

Thanks Snyper, and worst case is I will rebuild them. I doubt if there is much more than varnish to clean out.

But I sure would like experience looking over my shoulder.

Thanks Snyper, and worst case is I will rebuild them. I doubt if there is much more than varnish to clean out.

But I sure would like experience looking over my shoulder.

You do Its called ventureriders :p these guys know more about these bikes then anything. Take pictures as you disassemble, This helps with reassembly.

By the way don't know how much you know about the carbs but there is one kind of high tension spring behind a circle cover. So just kind of hold the circle in place and just kind guide the circle away. But what ever you decide is up to you. By no means take advice from me just consider it and whatever you feel comfortable with.

Run it down to under 1/4 tank. Go to Wally World and get a tank of Berry Mans Chem Tech. Dump in whole can and run it like you stole it til you have to fill up.

I will give it a try. Already dumped a can of Seafoam in it but no help. Anything beats going through all the work of a rebuild.

Sea Foam is Great to maintain carbs and they will not get like yours are. Once they get plugged many claim nothing but major cleaning works. But I have had success with the BerryMan's I don't like to use a it too often because it is a harsher cleaner but carbs like yours are beyond Sea Foam. I use Marvel Mystery Oil on carbs that are running right as Sea Foam has priced theirselves out of my market. I still use Sea Foam if they show signs of starting to act up but the Mystery Oil seems to work great and is easy to find (Wally world) buy the large size. use a couple ounces every other tank or so. Good luck with them. I hate pulling the things.

Run it down to under 1/4 tank. Go to Wally World and get a tank of Berry Mans Chem Tech. Dump in whole can and run it like you stole it til you have to fill up.

Geez I tell you My Wal*Mart Just has no logic they only sell the Spray. The fuel treatment they carry at mine is Seafoam there is others but when I went to get Berry Mans they told me we stopped carrying that!!! What it is I bet is the fact everyone around here swears on the Seafoam there for not selling much Berry Mans so they discontinue it to that Wal*Mart. Hey Yammer just curious Because I can't afford Hobby Shop Prices for model cars and such. Does your Wal*Mart still carry actual model cars? I have looked online for this stuff and I keep getting those stupid ones you put on top of the wheels..

I will give it a try. Already dumped a can of Seafoam in it but no help. Anything beats going through all the work of a rebuild.

I've also used Berry Mans Chem Tech mixed with Seafoam chase with Marvel Mystery Oil. If that don't work I'm just up the road from you at Lake Norman. Let me know how it works.

Edited by WildBill1

To Snyper, Yammer Dan and Wild Bill,

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. I picked up the Berryman Chemteck B-12 carburetor and system cleaner at my Walmart ($2.94/15 oz can) so I bought two. One for my twenty year old Ford F 150 4x4. I think it would not hurt to run a can through the system on the old girl, after 238,000 miles.

Back to the post. I have drained the fuel tank of all gas and reserve gas. I have measured out 1.5 gal (about 1/4 of a tank) of clean fresh gas and just wanted to double check, I put the 15oz. can into the gas and then into the gas tank. That is 15/192 ratio. After I get your approval I will put in the tank, leaving the petcock off until I have time to run it like I stole it.

Wild Bill, if you want some I will pick it up for you since I work in Mooresville and I could drop it off for you.

Thanks again,

Edited by Sylvester

To Snyper and Wild Bill,

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. I picked up the Berryman Chemteck B-12 carburetor and system cleaner at my Walmart ($2.94/15 oz can) so I bought two. One for my twenty year old Ford F 150 4x4. I think it would not hurt to run a can through the system on the old girl, after 238,000 miles.

Back to the post. I have drained the fuel tank of all gas and reserve gas. I have measured out 1.5 gal (about 1/4 of a tank) of clean fresh gas and just wanted to double check, I put the 15oz. can into the gas and then into the gas tank. That is 15/192 ratio. After I get your approval I will put in the tank, leaving the petcock off until I have time to run it like I stole it.

Wild Bill, if you want some I will pick it up for you since I work in Mooresville and I could drop it off for you.

Thanks again,

:farmer:[/quote

That ratio in the tank will be a good cocktail shake the tank a little and let her set over nite then take her out for a ride. Thanks Jim, for the offer on the Berry Mans but just let us know if this works and will see if we néed to pull those carbs.

To Snyper and Wild Bill,

Thanks again,

:farmer:[/quote

That ratio in the tank will be a good cocktail shake the tank a little and let her set over nite then take her out for a ride. Thanks Jim, for the offer on the Berry Mans but just let us know if this works and will see if we néed to pull those carbs.

Thanks, I will do that. I will leave it in the tank (petcock off) until I can run it hard.

These carbs are a pure dream to work on compared to the Hitachis on the XJs. Granted you have to get through a good bit more stuff to get to them but they come off easy, break down easy, clean up well and go back together easy. Aside from the diaphragms being expensive(and possibly a small PITA to install) they are a veritable walk in the park.

Sylvester,

Don't sell yourself short. If you can work through a valve adjustment, you can rebuild these carbs. You probably won't even need to truly "rebuild" them. Just clean them up, set the fuel level and maybe install new bowl gaskets.

They only come out one way tho. Ok I will admit the hardest part is popping them loose, and putting them back down on the boots.

Twist the handle and move!!!

Yep, Straight up, with nothing in the way. After removing the side panels and air box, both fairly easy procedures. The carbs just pop straight up. The installation is even easier.

Once you have battled the airbox of the XJ and fought the re-installation of the intake boots on a Seca or Maxim you will laugh at the hurdles of the Venture.

Now the inboard exhaust valve shims. That's another story. ;-)

Go ahead and put it in and start it up and run enough to get into carbs good and leave sit overnight before running. Good Luck. Not a for sure fix but has worked several times for me.

I did as you said. I actually heard a difference in the exhaust after five minutes. Still dies when the choke is off. The good news is that the Berryman B-12 is in the carbs.

Here are the details of my ride this afternoon...

It runs and pretty well all things considered :thumbsup:.

It powers up from start and through all gears, but at idle I have to tickle the throttle to keep it running. I tried adjusting the idle screw on the right side but it does nothing for the idle. Oh, and it backfires on deceleration 2000 rpm.

:thumbdown:

I was wondering, if I were to mix up twenty or less gallons of gas with another 15 oz can of Berryman B-12 Chemtool fuel system cleaner (can't help advertising this great product) and run it through for the next three or four tanks, would this be a wise move?

If it weren't for the idle I would be all thumbs up on this episode in my life.

Let me know what you think.

And thank you all for helping me this far along from where I was.

I don't like to run a lot of the Berryman's as it is a harsher cleaner but have done about as you suggested when faced with really dirty carbs. I would put about 1/2 of a can in when you filled it up and saved the other 1/2 can if it were needed on next fillup. Buy some Marvel Mystery Oil once you get it going good and use a few ounces every tank or every other tank just according to how you feel it is running.

I don't like to run a lot of the Berryman's as it is a harsher cleaner but have done about as you suggested when faced with really dirty carbs. I would put about 1/2 of a can in when you filled it up and saved the other 1/2 can if it were needed on next fillup. Buy some Marvel Mystery Oil once you get it going good and use a few ounces every tank or every other tank just according to how you feel it is running. The Sea Foam is great for keeping them clean I just can't see paying that much for it. Marvel does a good job.

Thanks Yammer Dan.

I just got it to idle albeit within 500 rpm +/-. That is a good thing! I will go another dose of the Berryman since the tank is full now (7.5 oz to tank).

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help from Ventureriders.com.

And you Yammer Dan, Wild Bill1 and Syper 316 a special thanks.