IGNORED

In Oregon after 15,869 mile road trip

jsb777

Venture friends,

I am home again in Oregon after 15,869 miles in the saddle of my 2005 Midnight Venture.

Left Oregon April 11th and got home July 28th.

I spent 55 days in West KY, and 54 days on the road.

Left W. KY on the first day of some brutal heat July 20th.

The next night in Ponca City, OK the air temp at 5pm was 101 degrees.

Had 4 straight days of riding in that, and took 9 days to get home to Oregon.

The last two days of riding were 579 miles and 626 miles. What long days those were.

A highlight of the trip was MAINTENANCE DAY in Oberlin, OH! What a great experience.

Other highlights were Big Bend Nat'l Park (Texas) which included 13 miles of washed out gravel road, riding down to Key West, and Independence Pass above Aspen, CO.

From Albuquerque, NM to Rural Hall, NC I rode with a friend for about 4 weeks.

I had one little "get-off" in Biloxi, MS after encountering some wet sand in a left turn lane.

Broke the reflector off the rear bag crash bar, gained a new gouge in the upper fairing, cracked a plastic fastener or two, and added a new scar to my right elbow.

That's a lot better than the last "get-off" 9 years ago in which the bike was totaled and I was carted away in the ambulance...

I need to replace my windshield (stock TALL one) and am thinking of the Clearview with the vent.

I see they have one 1" shorter than stock which I'm interested in.

Any thoughts on this or other brands you like?

I like seeing through my windshield rather than over the top of it.

Another big shout to Don, Craig & Kim, Jim & Robyn, Keith, Earl, Paul, Jim, Ron & Vicki, Greg, Jay, Ron & Peggy, and Joe & Debbie for the great time at Maintenance Day!

Don't miss going to this if you get the chance! It is everything you read about and more!

I'll be glad to answer any questions about the trip if you have any.

John

Eugene, Oregon

John

I have the tallest, widest Clearview windscreen (with vent) on my '86. It's been great! I don't mind looking through the windscreen and the buffeting is greatly dimiished for both of us.

I have the F4 tall, wide on my '99, with vent, and have had the same success.

John @ clearview was great to work with. When I sent an email showing that the vent was installed on a slant, he rushed a replacement right out and had the original picked up.

Good luck!

Dave

Sounds like a fantastic trip John. Glad you were able to get by the house for Maintenance Day. It was a pleasure to meet you. I have the tall Clearview with vent on my '05 Midnight. It offers a lot of protection and I really like it. Had the same thing on my '99. There have been a couple of times over the years where looking through it was a bit of a problem but nothing that I wasn't able to deal with.

Hey John, great to hear from you! I have been wondering how your trip was going. We really enjoyed meeting you at MD and having a few laughs while working on your bike. Glad to hear you made it home safely after an amazing road trip. I have the tallest widest Clearview with vent, its held up well, no real complaints.

Craig