IGNORED

Thinking about getting a parts bike

I am looking at picking up a 89 VR listed as a parts bike. The guy is asking $600. I have seen it and most of the plastic is junk, seat is ripped. Looks like he left it outside all winter and not covered, not sure.

Question is what on the bike would still have to work to make it worth the trouble of buying and stripping down?

I cannot see his price at this time, claims new computer last year. I have not hooked up a good battery to see what works or if it really starts. He claims all but the cruise work, and it runs good. I need a few parts to get both of my bikes fully functional, different items between them.

Thoughts, opinions would help.

$600 is a bit high for a parts bike that has been mistreated and left in the elements. Optimumly you would want to be able to sell some plastic to recoup some of your monies. I would have to hear it run and see it roll before I would shell out that kind of money. There are deals to be found and I would either low ball it or let it pass.

Funny how people have diferent perspectives: good engine, wheels, forks, running gear and I'd say it's easily worth £300 if you've got the space. That's without mentioning pick-ups, tci, coils and carbs (how much is a set of diaphragms ?).

Mind you, if you feel that 20-50,000 is high mileage then you're on a different wavelength to me - I wouldn't expect to need engine spares until at least 80,000 and preferably 150,000 miles or more. The spares to me would be a guarantee of no nasty (read expensive) surprises in the maintenance stakes.

I'd say too much. The real money for spare parts is mostly in the plastic, and any aftermarket goodies it may have. You would be hard pressed to get that much just for a good running engine...

$200 sounds like more of a fair price for what you describe...

I'd say too much. The real money for spare parts is mostly in the plastic, and any aftermarket goodies it may have. You would be hard pressed to get that much just for a good running engine...

$200 sounds like more of a fair price for what you describe...

I agree with Bob on this one. Hard to find plastic, chrome, and electrical accessories are where the vaule is in the current market. Mechanicals are everywhere and a dime a dozen. It's supply and demand....