IGNORED

Oil & filter for 2004 yamaha royal star venture

Shot

I have a question. And I'm serious. What the heck is the deal with all of the different oils and oil filters everybody on here uses??? I mean, Yamaha recommends Yamaha oil and filter, so I just go to my Yammy dealer and get the oil and filters. It has never occurred to me that Yamaha could be wrong with their recommendation for oil and filters. I know they're making money off of branding their own oil and filters and selling them, but, to me, it's a lot safer staying with what they sell, than hoping and praying some brand I buy at a big box store will fit right and work.

I'm not trying to be ornery here, but I see folks making recommendations saying try this one, try that one, this one should fit, but maybe not, etc, etc. I say TRY WHAT YAMMY SAYS TO PUT IN IT!. LOL. In my mind its' too critical of a thing for me to get wrong. If i'm gonna try something, it's gonna be new mirrors, or lights, or something like that. But not engine oil.

I'll go back into my hole now.

Big Lenny

The short version of what Yamaha recommends can be found in the owners manual, and it typically says to use Yamaha this that and the other. The long technical version of what Yamaha recommends can be found in the service manual where the actual specifications for the items are listed.

I am using what Yamaha recommends per specification, just not in Yamaha labeled brands.

Once you have hacked into a factory Yamaha filter you will never again buy one. See here...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?96009-Oil-Filter-Comparisons-Hey-I-m-no-Engineer

As for Oil... I use a JASO MA rated, API SM rated, CJ-4 rated, oil in the synthetic flavor of 5W-40.

As for filter... I use a Purolator PL14459 because it actually exceeds Yamaha's published specs. See here

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?101114-Purolator-PL14459-Oil-Filter

Edited by Du-Rron

My closest Yamaha dealer was over 45 min one way. My Victory dealer is an hour and 20 one way. Needless to say I need options. Wix, Purolator bac when they fit, Mobil 1 or Bosch filters. I pretty much stay with Rotella T6, Mobil 1 in the 10w40 or V-twin 20-50

When I had my 03 RSV, I noticed significant decrease in clutch whine when using Mobil1. I can't recall the filter, but believe it was a K and N. I did not have slips, chatter, leaks or issues while using Mobil 1. I use Mohil1 with the wing over Honda HP4 simply because of not only price and easily available in North America. I've bugged quite a few IBA guys on the road and in the forum and some of the low key guys who have racked 1 million or more say they use Mobil 1

I'm sure you will run out of daylight reading all the choices and responses. Just make sure you get a high quality oil and filter, pay attention to how it runs and change the oil and filter when necessary.

I agree with Barry. Though I specifically use Mobil One Racing 4T in my RSV. It is made for motorcycles and maybe it makes no difference but I know it is formulated for wet clutches. I've been using Mobil One in everything I own for many years. I think I started using it exclusively around 1997 or 1998. I've used it in anything I've bought new and swapped to it in anything that I've bought used. Cars, motorcycles, boats, wave runners, etc. The first Venture that I bought was an '88 model with around 45,000 miles on it. Swapped it to Mobil 1 immediately after my first trip and it became harder to shift. Never had any problems after the swap and never had any leaks.

It's not cheap though. I changed the oil in my RSV this past weekend. 4 quarts of the oil and a K&N filter cost me about $65.00. The filter was too high at $16.99. Don't know if I'll use the same one next time but we'll see.

....I only have one thing to contribute: OEM! Yamalube filter and oil recommended for the RSV. Been using them for six years, RoadStar and RSV. I figure for a few extra bucks twice a year, why not go with the "recommended".........Peace and love from KY you'all!!!!:farmer:

I have a question. And I'm serious. What the heck is the deal with all of the different oils and oil filters everybody on here uses??? I mean, Yamaha recommends Yamaha oil and filter, so I just go to my Yammy dealer and get the oil and filters. It has never occurred to me that Yamaha could be wrong with their recommendation for oil and filters. I know they're making money off of branding their own oil and filters and selling them, but, to me, it's a lot safer staying with what they sell, than hoping and praying some brand I buy at a big box store will fit right and work.

I'm not trying to be ornery here, but I see folks making recommendations saying try this one, try that one, this one should fit, but maybe not, etc, etc. I say TRY WHAT YAMMY SAYS TO PUT IN IT!. LOL. In my mind its' too critical of a thing for me to get wrong. If i'm gonna try something, it's gonna be new mirrors, or lights, or something like that. But not engine oil.

I'll go back into my hole now.

Big Lenny

...My sentiments exactly Big Lenny!!!!!......