IGNORED

Painted wind deflectors

While I had the fairing split this morning, I figured it was a good time to go ahead and paint the wind deflectors at the bottom of the fairing. I had though about trying some window tint, vinyl, various things but I didn't have any of those and it was already apart so I made do with what I had.

I had a couple cans of black spray paint that I started to use but then came across a can of black PlastiDip. I figured why not. If I didn't like it I could peel it off after it dried. It actually turned out very nice. I like them much better than when they were clear.

Of course I just sprayed the back side of them.

IMG_0446.jpg IMG_0450.jpg

Edited by Freebird

The PlastiDip worked great. They will be a flat black when looked at on the back side but will look glossy on the front. The nice thing is that if you ever want to do something different, it should just pretty much peel off. I did notice at the auto parts store that Duplicolor has a LOT of peelable rubber paints now so there are several other colors available if you want to try something different.

Edited by Freebird

Mine are being subject to road wash and yellowing for some reason. I used to paint many clear bugshields on the backside for cars and trucks in the 90's the color of the body and will probably do the same with this bike.

I too like them "blacked out".

Rob

Yoa plastic polishing compound... u could try one of those headlight repair kits out there, they are mostly a plastic polishing compound...

Yes, the commercial polishing or headlamp restoration products will remove surface oxidation and the protective coating applied during manufacture, but "yellowing" is a chemical composition of the material breaking down from exposure. There are sprays available touting their ability to restore this UV screening protection but I've not seen it work for anything more than about a year on automobile headlamps capsules.

Hmmmmmm......what would they look like if you used some "chrome" paint on them? I painted the back of mine with black paint a few years ago on my '09. With the black lower portion of my fairing it looks better than the clear plastic.