IGNORED

84 VR clutch issues

ok boys and girls, my clutch handle has barely any resistance, it will bleed but clutch is not engaging. meaning, if i try to put bike in gear with the handle squeezed, it jumps forward and stalls. with that being said i got a few things i need to check, ie, remove and inspect the clutch release. my question deals with removing the "middle gear case cover". in the manual it says " be sure oil does not leak out of the case".i loosened the bolts on it and oil started to come out so i tightened them back up. so do i just let the oil leak or will it cause a big issue? thats the only way to pull the clutch release out.

Won't cause any issue if you let leak out (that is if you remember to refill it). You should notice the bolt lowest in the pattern has a copper crush washer, if that gets misplaced, you continue to leak oil....that could cause you problems

Slow down.

I'd presume it's either not bled or the master cylinder needs rebuilt. If you haven't opened the clutch there is really nothing on the engine side that could cause your symptoms. Even a bad slave will disengage the clutch a few times until the system leaks out.

It takes very little pressure to blow fluid out an open bleeder valve. It takes quite a bit to actuate the clutch.

If this started after you bled/replaced the clutch fluid my money is on Condor's answer.

Sigh.... I know I'm gonna catch a whole lot of flack for posting this..... but..... There is absolutely no way tying the clutch lever back against the grip, and leaving it sit overnight, that the air will magically purge itself out of the clutch, and into the reserve... When the lever is back against the grip the master cup has moved passed the expansion hole and the cup lip is sealed against the wall of the master cylinder. The system is sealed. Overnight it's possible that some air will rise to the top of the line and pass the banjo bolt, but it will not pass out the expansion hole due to the position of the piston cup. What happens in the morning, when the lever is released, any collected air will slowly bleed out the expansion hole and into the reserve. Unfortunately not all the air will. It might work, but not at maximum. I know members have used this method and swear by it, but every time someone suggests it, I bite my lip... Not this time....

Sigh.... I know I'm gonna catch a whole lot of flack for posting this..... but..... There is absolutely no way tying the clutch lever back against the grip, and leaving it sit overnight, that the air will magically purge itself out of the clutch, and into the reserve... When the lever is back against the grip the master cup has moved passed the expansion hole and the cup lip is sealed against the wall of the master cylinder. The system is sealed. Overnight it's possible that some air will rise to the top of the line and pass the banjo bolt, but it will not pass out the expansion hole due to the position of the piston cup. What happens in the morning, when the lever is released, any collected air will slowly bleed out the expansion hole and into the reserve. Unfortunately not all the air will. It might work, but not at maximum. I know members have used this method and swear by it, but every time someone suggests it, I bite my lip... Not this time....

I am with Condor and MiCarl on all this.. I have had way better results spending the time to bleed the old fashion time consuming way.. Digger, try starting at the bango up on the master, stuff a rag under it, fill the master, loosen the banjo and squeeze SLOWLY and watch for tiny air bubbles in the fluid around the banjo. Bleed from there until you get pure fluid. Now see if you have a clutch..

finally got all the air out, but fluid is pouring out of the bottom of the engine. its not the hose thats leaking from what i can see so i'll need to remove the clutch release and replace it or rebuild it, thanks for all the advice. Btw i didn't see a copper washer on the bottom bolt of the middle gear cover.

Now you know why it was dry. Just buy a new slave cylinder. It's not that much more than a rebuild kit and if the old one is pitted you might never get it to seal anyhow.

When you order the slave cylinder also order a new gasket for the middle gear cover.

I agree with you 100%. I want to rip my hair out every time I see someone post advice to tie the lever back. Fortunately, my hair is already gone.

Now you know why it was dry. Just buy a new slave cylinder. It's not that much more than a rebuild kit and if the old one is pitted you might never get it to seal anyhow.

When you order the slave cylinder also order a new gasket for the middle gear cover.

I just rebuilt my master and slave cylinders 2 days ago. Do your self a favor and get a vacuum bleeder. It took me longer to read the directions than to bleed the clutch. http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-69328.html This is the one I bought, money well spent.

i bought a flavor injector syringe to flush my carbs, was thinking of using it to bleed the clutch once i get the seals and put it in.

Have used large syringes from the local Ag store (Farm n Fleet) for years for the same purpose Digger - gotta agree with ya = work great for both flushing carbs and for brake work - handy little suckers (pun intended) that are cheap enough to toss when the rubber seal gets icky :big-grin-emoticon: