IGNORED

Does it matter? Tubetype vs Tubeless

aharbi

I've been riding for some time now. I've changed my share of motorcycle tires over the years. But something came up I've never encountered before and now has me questioning it.

I need a rear tire for my 2004 Venture. Think I've tried every brand except the E3 so thought I'd give it a try hearing good reports from a recent maintenance day I attended. (NOTE: THIS IS NOT A DEBATE ON WHAT TIRE TO USE). Removed the rear wheel and took it down to have the tire mounted and balanced. Well they didn't have it for whatever excuse they made up. But they did have a brand in stock I have used in the past with good results. Date stamp was 4515, 6 months old 74S rated would of liked a little higher but acceptable. So I take it home to put it back on the bike and notice this: (remember this is going on my 2004 Venture)

The following picture is a Metzeler ME880 (TUBE TYPE) mounted on my 2004 Yamaha Royal Star Venture.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Motorcycle/P5267582.jpg

Did they sell me and mount a tire that needs a tube for my tubeless rim? Strange? I check ALL the tires on all my bikes, even the front of the Venture. They are all stamped TUBELESS. (I refuse to buy a road bike that is not Tubeless) I ever checked the rear of my V-Star with the same brand of tire, make of tire, even same size rear rim, it is stamped: TUBELESS

The following picture is of a Metzeler ME880 (TUBELESS) mounted on my 2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Motorcycle/P5287587.jpg

So I call down to the motorcycle shop and say they mounted the wrong tire, they transfer me to the Store Manager who says "it's the same tire as a Tubeless, they are all the same and If I insisted on ordering the E3 (which I did) it will have the same stamp. Really? Not from what I'm seeing. So my question to this team is: are they all the same No difference between TUBETYPE and TUBELESS?

Edited by aharbi

Hey Arb,, I am probably wrong on this but it appears to me that the two pics you have posted are of 2 different tires - correct? Assuming that is the case, the tire in the first pic is for use in a "tube" application only. The tire in the second pic is useable in either application but must include using a tube with the tire if the "fitment" calls for a tube (meaning your mounting onto a non tubeless rim - usually meaning spokes) and will work fine on a tubeless rim like our Ventures.

I once had this discussion while traveling cross country and in need of a tire.. The shop I was at wanted to sell me a tire marked as in your 1st picture.. After turning em down and telling them I would look elsewhere they offered to stuff a tube in the tire to satisfy my disagreeing with using the tire marked for "tube" use only. Went down the road and found a "tubeless" tire to put on my "tubeless" wheel,, no idea if all that was necessary but I figured anything I could do to avoid a blow out on one of my bike tires was worth the effort cause bringing one of these great big heavy scoots to a stop when a tire goes is not that much fun :big-grin-emoticon:

Consider me +1 to going and getting the correct tire mounted - thats what I would do!:thumbsup:

From Dunlop:

Thank you very much for recent inquiry on Dunlop Tires.

Tube type tires require a tube to maintain the proper air pressure as tube

type tires are not built the same as tubeless type tires. A tubeless tire

has an "inner liner" on the inside of the tire carcass that is designed to

be airtight. The tube type tire does not have this same inner liner and if

run without a tube will lose air over time. In most all cases tube type

tires are designed for spoked rims that would lose air pressure through the

spoke nipples.

I would recommend ignoring what your friends are telling you on this matter

and install a tube in your tube tire tires.

Thanks again for your interest.

Brent Durfee

Regional Sales Manager

Dunlop Tires

Phone & Fax 714-572-8485

I agree with Dunlop and I go even further. In my opinion tube type tires are more subject to blow out than tubeless. With a large bike like my Venture I would not care to experience a violent blow out at highway speed.

Mike

Thanks folks for the replies. Cowpuc, yes two different bikes I have gone back and labeled the pictures. The Venture is our two-up bike and I don't want to take any chances with my wife on the back. Special thanks to Prairehammer, you put the issue to rest. Thanks so much. What I was told by the store manager just didn't "feel right" to me although I never heard of it before, I know now and shan't fall for it in the future. Love this site, love the people, love the willingness to help each other.

The Dunlop E3 came in, had it mounted and balanced. Deflated, rotated and rebalanced. He chose the tire position that required the least weight. Mercy! Have you ever seen so many weights? Think I'm going back to the Avon Venom X

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Motorcycle/image.jpg3.jpg

BOTH SIDES YET!

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Motorcycle/image.jpg1_3.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Motorcycle/image.jpg2_1.jpg

Dang WTF!

^^^^^^What he said! Something is amiss...I would ask for a refund if an independent third party concluded that there was a more efficient way to mount that tire!

I also stand corrected......thank you Kevin....I was of the opinion, one could mount a tubeless tire on a tube rim (without a tube)...I will never make that mistake!

RR afraid I'd have to agree with ya. They've done 3 or 4 tires for me in the past with no problems, First time for the Venture rear tire. Going to check myself with my manual HF MC tire balancer.

It seems to me something is wrong. I have been changing my own tires for a number of years and my habit is to leave the weights on the wheel and check the balance of the assembly before breakdown, it is usually close to balanced. Check the balance again after the old tire is removed, again it usually is balanced. I mount the new tire (when available I put the dot at the air valve) and usually the new assembly is still balanced.

My :2cents: