IGNORED

2004 Venture Rear Shock & Radio

Hi Everyone!

I am new to this sight. I just purchased a 2004 Venture. I have a couple of question I am hoping that someone can

help me out.

1st...the stock rear shock was replace with a Hagon shock, its a pretty stiff ride. I have been doing some research and

I think I can replace it with a air shock and pump from a Honda Goldwing. Has anyone every done this? I would really like to

get it back to an air shock ride.

2nd...the stereo seems really low volume, even when it is turned up to 30 on the volume. has anyone put a different radio in?

like where the cassette deck is? or any other suggestions? the speakers do not sound crackly or anything like they are blown.

Thanks In advance for any help!

I have no idea about using a Goldwing shock.. but the Hagon is adjustable so you could turn down the stiffness. They also come in two flavours.. A standard and a heavy duty.. The PO might have been a big guy riding double all the time in which case he would have ordered a heavy duty and you (if you are lighter) would then get a stiff ride. I just changed to a Hagon (regular) and really like the ride.. You COULD order an OEM shock and return to the air ride.

Retrofitting a radio might be a challenge and keep the same look to the dash.. Unfortunatly you can only get so much out of a 4" speaker.. BUT after saying that how loud is loud? matter of perspective.. There may be a setting or something that can be tweeked.. I'm not really up to speed on the radio that is built in.. heck I still have trouble figuring out how to change things... I'm sure someone will chime in soon...

In all the years that I've been around these bikes, and that's a long time, I've never heard of anybody who has retrofitted a Goldwing shock to them. I would be very surprised if that is an option but if so, would sure like to hear about it. It might open up a lot of possibilities for used shocks. That being said, if your Hagon is the heavy duty model, I was told that you could send it back to them and they will reconfigure it for your needs. I have no idea what they charge for that.

Now I'm also surprised to hear about the low volume on the stereo. I will be the first to say that the 4" speakers in these bikes greatly limit the sound but volume has not generally been an issue. Most of the time the problem is that the speakers start breaking up, can't handle, what volume the system is capable of. You see the volume is very low. How low? Are you sure you have it set on speakers and not headsets? At any rate, after trying several brands of speakers and even a small amp, I finally accepted the fact that I was never going to get the desired sound out of the 4" speakers. We now just use Edsets headsets without the speakers and just plug earbuds into the jack on the headset module. That works great for us.

Like above I have never heard of any one using a GL shock on a Venture, with all the research that has been done by folks on this site and the Delphi sites, I would have expected this option to have come up long ago if it really could work. I also expect that you will find anything tagged for the GL to be very pricey.

As far as the volume goes, I am with Freebird, check the controller display to see if the letters HS (Head Set) are displayed, if so you have the audio going to the head set cable.

If that is what you find, turn the volume down to about 10 before you switch back to SP (speakers), or you will be buying new speakers, because at 30 I suspect you blow them out.

Is you are SP setting and still have no volume, try splitting the fairing and cleaning and greasing the plugs with dielectric grease, could be dirt or corrosion causing a bad connection. Some where on the 2nd Gen tech section here there are copies of the tech bulletins from Yamaha on doing this and fixing certain audio problems.

thanks for all the advise.

the previous owner was about my size and him and his wife are about the same weight as my wife and I , they also where towing a trailer, witch could

be why it might seem stiff. when I took my wife for a ride on it, she felt every bump right up her spine. it is set pretty stiff. I will start by contacting Hagon.

as far as a GL shock, suprising they are cheap on Ebay with an air pump included. some have the same mounting ends(thru hole and fork) if the length is the same and everything, why wouldn't it work??? I like a challenge!!

the radio is set to SP on control, and low volume to me is in my garage with bike NOT running it is hard to hear it..

front or back speakers.

LOL!! Borrow one! Just curious, it may help to analyze the symptoms! You could also try plugging in an MP3 player into the AUX jack, but make sure the volume is not ALL the way up on the player, or you will overdrive the input into distortion. I'm trying to analyze if the problem is in the radio part, or the amplifier part.

As was suggested, reseating the connectors MAY or MAY NOT be the answer! The Push To Talk button for the CB could be stuck, all 4 speakers could be shot, (possibility but not likely all 4) the amplifier could be bad, etc. Have you tried with Headphones, and have you tried the intercom yet??

One more thing...and I'm sure you've done this. Make sure you hit the audio button to make sure it's on audio. If you press the CB button and then turn up the volume, it is actually only turning up the CB. The knob controls volumes to both but they are separate. You have to press the audio button to make sure you are turning up the radio and not the CB.

GL Shock will not work according to the center to center. The Goldwing is 2" longer. In the latest RIDER MAG there is an article about a company TRAXION DYNAMICS (Located not far from me) I had my bike down with them for 2 weeks trying to get another option for the rear shock other than the stock air ride or the aftermarket HAGON. Ended up that could not come up with a better solution. I ended up going with the HEAVY DUTY HAGON. I ride 2-up and pull a trailer most of the time. Love the shock thats my opinion.

Note I also had TRAXION DYNAMICS rebuild my front forks putting in new springs and a Rebound / Damping Kit. What an improvement in the curves! Cost me under $250

update:

I did contact Hagon today and am going to adjust the dampening and and preload. yes with further research a Goldwing shock will not work.

now onto the radio...I have tried all I know and still no solution. it is on Audio, SP, and the CB is not on. when I fade speakers from front to back

they are the same...not very loud..it had to be up over 20 to hear it...

are the speaker connections for all 4 speakers up front? where is the amp?

is there a mute button I am not aware of???

All the audio and radio electronics are inside the top fairing with exception of the CB, which is under the trunk, etc. You have to split the fairing to get to everything, but it is not hard to do! It is basically 8 metric hex head screws, 4 on each side of the edge of the driver's side of the fairing. There is also one screw on the bottom of the headlight chrome ring. If you have aftermarket passing lights installed, the bracket has to be at least loosened if not totally removed to get the front fairing piece off. When you remove the 8 inside metric hex screws, the top one on each side come out first, these screws are different from the other 6 and hold the plastic chrome windshield piece in place. Be VERY careful not to break the plastic tabs on that chrome piece, it is very easy to do! Sort of lift the piece straight up and do not force it!

You will find the electronics dead center on a bracket. There are several cables that disconnect. These are the connections that were previously mentioned, disconnect each one, spray with contact cleaner, and seat and reseat the connectors several times to help the contact cleaner do it's thing! Then use some dielectric grease, available at Auto Zone, etc., and being VERY careful NOT to get the grease on the pins or sockets, seal up the connectors for the final connecting. The grease is to keep moisture from getting into the connectors. It is an INSULATOR so that's why you want to be cafreful not to get any on the actual metal pins and sockets...

Hmmm, my RSV is still sleeping for the winter so I can't run out and try this, but, by any chance is the AVI (speed sensitive automatic volume level) turned up all the way??? That may effect how loud it is with the bike stopped...

The only other thing that would mute the audio would be the PTT switch on the left side of the handlebars was stuck on. But I think that totally mutes the radio, etc...

UPDATE: I got radio to work great!!

Under the clarion radio box is these

Big cable connections,the one with the

Yellow color tape on it when unplugged

The radio started working awesome!

Could not find what that cable goes to though,

Anyone know??

I just purchased a 03. My radio and speakers work great but the tape deck is ancient. I am using this to plus plug into the accessory jack. Now it connects my phone via Bluetooth to the speakers. Works great for music and gps! Got it from Amazon

TROND® 2 in 1 Wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Audio Transmitter and Receiver - Bluetooth Transmitter for TV, iPod, MP3, CD Player or e-Reader; Bluetooth Receiver for Car or Home Stereo

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk