IGNORED

Trailer Prices

Condor

What in Gods green earth makes these small tow behind motorcycle trailers so cotton pickin' expensive? Major manufactures have these things priced up in the same area as a full blown 6X12/14 tandem axel enclosed trailer. No way does it cost anywhere near what one of those would cost to build. And the scarry thing is.... folks are actually spending the long green to buy them. i know there are cheapies out there on the market, but I'm talking about the Bushtec's, ION's, ZZ's etc. When one of these things is priced at 4 grand retail plus shipping and they are selling direct it really makes me wonder.....:stirthepot: I come out of the boating industry and no way does is cost that much to lay one of these things up in fiberglass, and that much in labor and material to finish one off....

You haven't noticed! Any thing with motorcycle attached is overpriced.:confused24: :confused24:

Kenny

If they build it and it's for a bike, we will buy it!

$9 a piece for spark plugs, $180 for a tire, $529 for license tags!

It's only money! Yea Right!

Dog

Condor,

I can't say enough about my Piggy Backer trailer. I am well satified with it and customer service has been outstanding. I will never spend what they want for one of the top of the line trailers. Mine performs great and at 19 cubic feet it holds all I want to take with me!

There is a parts dealer down here that is asking $750 for a 80's model Honda Goldwing trailer! Heavy fiberglass, torsion suspension and 8"wheels and a luggage rack on top! I'll keep my Piggy!

Dog

there not going to have a price drop till the people stop paying the high prices as long as every one is buying new there smiling form ear to ear

With all the competion around for new trailers you'da thunk that there'd be a price war. Maybe that'll happen, I see quite a few of them starting to post on Ebay. If they don't sell there, they might have to get real...or starve....:detective:

You pay for the R&D and all the upgrades :confused24: I agree that it is expensive, but how many Aholes do you think sue trailer mfgrs when they are in an accident?

This is why I dont try to go big with any of my products that I make, there are too many folks that will try to screw you out of every dime you try to make. I look at my trailer that I sold Marcarl, I had $850 in parts in it and I built it myself. If I was going to sell them made like that, I would charge $1250 as I would want to make a profit. Obviously the cheaper I could come by parts I could take the price down.

Just my ranting :soapbox:

You pay for the R&D and all the upgrades :confused24: I agree that it is expensive, but how many Aholes do you think sue trailer mfgrs when they are in an accident?

This is why I dont try to go big with any of my products that I make, there are too many folks that will try to screw you out of every dime you try to make. I look at my trailer that I sold Marcarl, I had $850 in parts in it and I built it myself. If I was going to sell them made like that, I would charge $1250 as I would want to make a profit. Obviously the cheaper I could come by parts I could take the price down.

Just my ranting :soapbox:

Brad- I'm sure that if you built the box out of FRP, built the frame, and bought the axels and accessories from a distributor at manufacture cost, you could have put the trailer together for half that amount. As far as R&D, there's not much to it. Design a box style out of ply and mold styro and splash it, or even build one by the stitch and glue method. That's where your major design difference is. All the rest is available from parts suppliers. No hard feelings, but a 'one of' cost can't be compared to the in work of a manufactured unit. Apples and oranges.

I know where your coming from Jack, unfortunately it's a nitche market and your not going to make the money on volume...so they will kick the price. You already know this as your a businessman, this is why I make the vast majority of the parts for my bikes.

I agree with the apple to oranges, unfortunately there's not a lot we can do. Plenty of americans will pay outrageous prices to keep up with the jonses...I just bring the jones down to my level :)

Condor,

Your question is basically the same as this one:

What in Gods green earth makes a two year olds pair of blue jeans so cottin pickin expensive..... Major manufactures have these things priced up in the same area as a full blown 250 lb mans pair of blue jeans...

No way does it cost anywhere near what one of those would cost.........

Welcome to America.........Build it and they (come) and buy it!!!!!

:think: :think: :think: :think: :think:

What in Gods green earth makes these small tow behind motorcycle trailers so cotton pickin' expensive? Major manufactures have these things priced up in the same area as a full blown 6X12/14 tandem axel enclosed trailer. No way does it cost anywhere near what one of those would cost to build.

I know where your coming from Jack, unfortunately it's a nitche market and your not going to make the money on volume...so they will kick the price. You already know this as your a businessman, this is why I make the vast majority of the parts for my bikes.

I agree with the apple to oranges, unfortunately there's not a lot we can do. Plenty of americans will pay outrageous prices to keep up with the jonses...I just bring the jones down to my level :)

Your right Brad, it is a nitch market....with a player on every corner. One of these days one of them will discover that putting out a quality product at a fair price will eventually garner a lions share of that market. Right now, what I see, is a group of manufacturers staying small in sales volume because they're afraid that if they become more competitive they'll starve. Combining smart manufacturing with smart merchandising, someone will eventually start to market a trailer selling at a price more representative of it's real value. I hope it's sooner than later...

If thing go right for once Me & Gene ( beer30 ) Are going to be making a new shaped camper. With to models to choose from.Gene has the form going now anI have laid out some frames for them. We would like some of your input on desighning this, Any thoughts that you think would make a better camper please let us know For thows of you that have a factory camper what would you change about it, or add to it.

Thanks to all

Dave:witch_brew:

• 1 year later...
What in Gods green earth makes these small tow behind motorcycle trailers so cotton pickin' expensive? Major manufactures have these things priced up in the same area as a full blown 6X12/14 tandem axel enclosed trailer. No way does it cost anywhere near what one of those would cost to build. And the scarry thing is.... folks are actually spending the long green to buy them. i know there are cheapies out there on the market, but I'm talking about the Bushtec's, ION's, ZZ's etc. When one of these things is priced at 4 grand retail plus shipping and they are selling direct it really makes me wonder.....:stirthepot: I come out of the boating industry and no way does is cost that much to lay one of these things up in fiberglass, and that much in labor and material to finish one off....

Sorry to dig this up, but I couldn't resist...

Well, here's your opportunity to put all the other trailer manufactures to shame...

http://www.businesssellcanada.com/80225002.htm

:63:

http://www.matrixmfg.com

I've only seen two Martix trailer, Mine & One other on this site.

• 7 months later...

i had to have a trailer to ... so i decided to build one myself and saved a lot of money... it is not that hard if you order the harber freight one and put a luggage top on it .. i made mine look like a space ship.. just like to be different.. take a look at it and tell me what you think.. when i got the luggage top from a friend of mine he was going to throw it away.. but you can see what i did with it .... and beleive me it will carry what ever i want to carry...

i think that i have a todal of about 5oo.oo tide up in mine .. but it pulls staight as a arrow.. even at 80 mph... and besides like it better than any that are already built because i made it myself .. so i know that there is not another one like it around[ATTACH]29186[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]29187[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]29188[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]29189[/ATTACH]:mytruck1:

• 3 weeks later...