IGNORED

One tranny re-build in the books

Well got started on her late, due to Artic trip and freighter generator overhauls, but I finally got into the tranny on Sat 29 Mar 08, and turned the key and test rode her Wed 09 Apr 08. All told the job took me 43 hours, split into 7 days of actually in the garage. Spent some time waiting for parts, 5 days for a bearing retainer clip screw. Broke when taking it out, and ordered replacement, actually still haven't got it yet. After 3 days I went to a Nut and Bolt supplier we deal with through work and purchased 3 new, allen wrench instead of philips head, flat heads. Much nicer than the originals, and way easier to torque in, no impact driver. The last day was a bugger, after all the sweat and grief getting the drivers floor boards installed, terminating the brake and shifter linkages, when I took her for the test ride, I'd put the shifter linkage clamp on 180 degrees out, so she was shifting 1 up, and 4 down, LOL, well it was 0300 in the morning. Flipped it the next afternoon, and took her out for another run, much better. All in all I'm glad I tackled it, got to know my ride very intimately, and the cost savings over having a shop do it were huge. Wouldn't recommend it for anyone who is not confident in there mechanical abilities to tackle it alone. The only help I had was the day I pulled the engine out, and a couple hours help the day I put it back in, all the rest was solo, just me and the ride in the garage.

I would offer my help to any members in my area who ever try and tackle this one though. Having someone who's done it would definately make life a lot easier.

See you on the black top.

Ozzie:cool10:

Hey, thanks for posting this oz.

You made an interesting statement about being intimate with your bike. This really does happen when you get into it like you did. You now feel a lot closer to the bike than ever before. Good luck with it and enjoy the wide open throttle runs thru 2nd gear.

RandyA

Good to hear you got 'er done, took me a lot longer, but then I had more time and maybe got a little more intimate with her, spent a lot of time just looking and carassing if you know what I mean. Could almost dream of all the curves and unseen parts.

Lucky you didn't do any damage when you forced the sifter linkage in upside down, bet it went together a lot easier when you got it right huh?

Looks like Wizard765 wants his done next year and now that he thinks I'm and expert, he wants help. What do you all think? should I let him experience this intimatecy on his own, or should I get involved in their deeping relationship?

I know what you mean about getting intimate with the bike... I just bought my 99 RSV with 32k miles on it and with it I apparently purchased some unresolved issues (kinda like getting married...). Just today I did a top-end tune up checking valve gap, adjusting idle, timing, and syncing carbs. WOW what a difference!!! She purrs like a kitten now (NOT like getting married). In the process I really got to know Lola quite intimately (my wife named her Lola... long story).

Cheers

One note on the shifter linkage is there is a little tick mark on each connection on the splined shafts that indicates where the split goes. If you look for the mark and put it at the split, you should be correct.

RandyA

Noted..... Thanks RandyA

Looks like Wizard765 wants his done next year and now that he thinks I'm and expert, he wants help. What do you all think? should I let him experience this intimatecy on his own, or should I get involved in their deeping relationship?

Carl, Marca, Wayne and Robin ride together fairly often. Marca and Robin really enjoy each others company. Keeping the ladies happy is a very important concept. With this thought in mind... I'll most likely be wanting to do the 2nd gear issue next winter BEFORE I have a problem with it. It's not like there won't eventually be a problem. IF I tackle it on my own there is a good chance I wouldn't be riding it again so IF we want to keep the ladies happy together it would be in Carl's best interest to help me.

How is that for Strong Arm Tactics??

:cool10:

Wizard

When you finally do get ready, I've got a complete list of gaskets/seals/gears that I required for the repair, picked everything up from Cycle City in Burlington, cheapest dealership for the parts. I checked every dealership from Burlington to Pickering, and they came in almost $80-100 cheaper. Got on pretty good terms with Rena in parts, she's a sweety. As for special tools, I didn't need to make the home press, used the one from work, made things alot easier taking the gears off the shaft, and re-assembling the new shaft. If you need any help when you get into yours, just drop me a line, and if I'm not out of the province or country with work, I'll give you a hand.

Ozzie

Guest Swifty
What do you all think? should I let him experience this intimatecy on his own, or should I get involved in their deeping relationship?

In some parts, they seem to be crackin down on this polygamy thing...I'd jump her....uhh, jump in and help him while it's still legal.

:080402gudl_prv:

Thanks Ozzie:

I'm hoping that there will be no damage by that time so maybe all I'll have to replace is the washer. Would love to have you over to help at some point. Thanks also for the tip on the source for parts. Yes I'd like your list.

Wayne

WOW! Just a quick update on the scoot since the re-build of the tranny. I've had her out everyday since Saturday, from short little runs to a trip down to Hamilton and Cambridge and back. Man 'O' Man what a difference with the second gear working properly. Taking off from a light or stop sign on a back road, and just winding her out, WHAT A BLAST! Now I remember why I fell in love with these bikes all those years ago. Comfort and speed.

Ozzie:cool10::cool10::cool10:

WOW! Just a quick update on the scoot since the re-build of the tranny. I've had her out everyday since Saturday, from short little runs to a trip down to Hamilton and Cambridge and back. Man 'O' Man what a difference with the second gear working properly. Taking off from a light or stop sign on a back road, and just winding her out, WHAT A BLAST! Now I remember why I fell in love with these bikes all those years ago. Comfort and speed.

Ozzie:cool10::cool10::cool10:

Like I said, isn't it great? You will never feel the same about the bike, now that you have become intimate with it.

RandyA

Hey, thanks for the offer of help, I just might take you up on that some day. So far (touching wood) my 2nd is OK but it might just be a matter of time. I only have 46k miles and change on the clock so far.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your ride. Great pix in your photo gallary btw.

Best regards,

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont