IGNORED

Fire in the Hole!!!

SilvrT

Started the truck this morning, turned on the heater / defrosters to full blast (windows were iced up) and went in the house. Came back out a few minutes later and the cab was full of smoke!!! Holy crap!! Shut the truck off and opened the doors and started investigating. No fire to be seen but definitely electrical burn smell. Started it up again after the smoke cleared and watched for where it was coming from ... seems the fan controller was over heating while on the max speed. Any lower speed was fine. Eventually the max speed just stopped working. Kinda freaked me out!!

Guess it's time for a new truck!!! (now if only my money tree hadn't died!)

Turns out a special service bulletin was issued on this problem in April, 2011. My truck is a 2005 (which qualifies); however, the coverage is only good for 10 years from date of first in-service date. I'll have to find out when my truck was first registered (I'm the 2nd owner) but I might be SOL and have to pay the piper.

Here's what it says...

"the interface between the electrical terminals of the relay resistor module and the wiring connector that powers the module may be incapable of conducting higher current levels for sustained periods of blower motor operation. . In addition, moisture and other contaminants may enter the fresh air intake plenum and contact the internal circuit of the module or corrode the terminals. Either of the above may cause the relay resistor module or wiring connector to overheat, resulting in one or more of the following symptoms:

- The HVAC blower may not function on certain or all blower speed settings

- A burning plastic smell or smoke may be present in the vehicle

- The HVAC blower may run continually with the ignition in the OFF position

In very rare events, if the above symptoms are ignored, a fire could occur."

This is exactly what happened this morning.

I'll be contacting the dealer soon as they open.

Started the truck this morning, turned on the heater / defrosters to full blast (windows were iced up) and went in the house. Came back out a few minutes later and the cab was full of smoke!!! Holy crap!! Shut the truck off and opened the doors and started investigating. No fire to be seen but definitely electrical burn smell. Started it up again after the smoke cleared and watched for where it was coming from ... seems the fan controller was over heating while on the max speed. Any lower speed was fine. Eventually the max speed just stopped working. Kinda freaked me out!!

Guess it's time for a new truck!!! (now if only my money tree hadn't died!)

What do you mean the truck windows where iced up. I just do not understand what you are talking about. I go out every morning and my truck windows are never "iced up" a couple times a year they have a then layer of frost on them......

Ok just making fun of you living up North, I use to live in AK and loved it, but man it is a lot easier to live in the south. I have been in shorts for the past three days, not riding of course but just around my house shorts and T-shirts, 75+ degrees

What do you mean the truck windows where iced up. I just do not understand what you are talking about. I go out every morning and my truck windows are never "iced up" a couple times a year they have a then layer of frost on them......

Ok just making fun of you living up North, I use to live in AK and loved it, but man it is a lot easier to live in the south. I have been in shorts for the past three days, not riding of course but just around my house shorts and T-shirts, 75+ degrees

I could never live in the states. No offense meant, it's just not my thing. I'm too "Canadianized"....and my pension wouldn't be worth spit in USD.

But Vancouver Island sounds better and better the older I get......that's about as mild as it gets in Canada. You were lucky to get one dump of snow a year when I was in Comox and temps usually hovered right around 0 to 5C in winter months......

What do you mean the truck windows where iced up. I just do not understand what you are talking about.

I'm sorry for you lack of understanding. Unfortunately though, this is not something I can explain in such a way that you might understand. However, I do invite you to come up here at this time of year to experience it. That is the only way you will fully understand what I'm speaking of. Meanwhile, or if you choose not to take me up on my offer, you will just have to go through life lacking this experience and understanding ..... :stickpoke: :stickpoke: :Laugh:

I'm sorry for you lack of understanding. Unfortunately though, this is not something I can explain in such a way that you might understand. However, I do invite you to come up here at this time of year to experience it. That is the only way you will fully understand what I'm speaking of. Meanwhile, or if you choose not to take me up on my offer, you will just have to go through life lacking this experience and understanding ..... :stickpoke: :stickpoke: :Laugh:

Thanks for the invite, checking my calendar..................... oh sorry I am busy right now.... ;):o

the better option is maybe you could come and visit me and explain it to me, and bring pictures of the frozen truck windows. If your bike is frozen in, you can ride mine for free :usa::sun:

So .... called the dealer ... errrrr ... I mean STEALER and got a quote.

To diagnose ... appx $135

To Re & Re plus parts ... another $160 - $250 PLUS labour depending on if they have to repair the wiring connector.

On the outside then I'm looking at close to $500, maybe even $600

Did a bit of searching on the net.

Found a YouTube vid on how to replace it ... takes about 20 min and is an easy job.

Found a replacement kit which includes repair for the wiring harness for ................. get this ........ $58.60 CDN shipped to my door!!!!!

http://www.amazon.ca/Dorman-973-405-Chevrolet-Resistor-Harness/dp/B003YLMQHC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456253295&sr=8-1&keywords=Dorman+973-405+Chevrolet%2FGMC+Blower+Motor+Resistor+and+Harness+Kit

Parts ordered, I'll do it myself!!

Thanks for the invite, checking my calendar..................... oh sorry I am busy right now.... ;):o

the better option is maybe you could come and visit me and explain it to me, and bring pictures of the frozen truck windows. If your bike is frozen in, you can ride mine for free :usa::sun:

Picture posted by venturesome! LMAO!!

Yup, maybe one of these days I'll knock on your door .... that is a better option!

The blower resistor is a common issue with old F150s like my 2002. The fan quits working on any speed but high because the resistor is bypassed on high speed. It picks off a lower voltage from the resistor for the lower speeds. Easy to replace on my truck. I just had to crawl under the dash somewhat. Resistor was available at Advance Auto Parts.

I didn't see where you posted the model of truck. If it's a GM or Chevy you probably burned up the connector on the harness too. It's not the resistor that goes bad it's the connection getting hot and melting the connectors. Same issue we have with the alternator connectors we have on our bikes.

There are kits out there that have a short harness with connector to splice in place of the burned up original.

I didn't see where you posted the model of truck. If it's a GM or Chevy you probably burned up the connector on the harness too. It's not the resistor that goes bad it's the connection getting hot and melting the connectors. Same issue we have with the alternator connectors we have on our bikes.

There are kits out there that have a short harness with connector to splice in place of the burned up original.

True, I didn't mention the vehicle... it's a 2005 Chev Silverado; however, while I appreciate your input, you're too late :stickpoke: :smile5:.....

As per my post above ( #12 ) .....

Found a replacement kit which includes repair for the wiring harness

As per my post above ( #4 )

the interface between the electrical terminals of the relay resistor module and the wiring connector that powers the module may be incapable of conducting higher current levels for sustained periods of blower motor operation. In addition, moisture and other contaminants may enter the fresh air intake plenum and contact the internal circuit of the module or corrode the terminals. Either of the above may cause the relay resistor module or wiring connector to overheat, resulting in one or more of the following symptoms

To add insult to injury, in Denver you would have also gotten a ticket for "Puffing". Leaving a vehicle running unattended.

In your own driveway ...???

As a side note, we can get a ticket for leaving a vehicle idling while stopped waiting for someone in a grocery store as an example. I guess we're supposed to either go inside with them or sit there and freeze our tush off! LOL

Picture posted by venturesome! LMAO!!

Yup, maybe one of these days I'll knock on your door .... that is a better option!

Give me a couple week notice.

I wish I could win the lottery, I want to buy either a bed and breakfast or a motel, and have winter rates for bikers. If I had enough money, I would but a few bikes too, so all you would have to do is come down, stay and ride.

My plan is to hire a retired northerns as road captain, party planners, cooks. and a motorcycle mechanic. I would be the care keeper.

Larry