IGNORED

Oil filter adapter

sleepy2

Who is using an after-market OIL filter adapter on a first-gen(86-93) I had one of the "ears" on the housing(stops housing from turning when installing and removing) fall into the drain pan when I changed oil on Sat. and was fine driving around until Tues, morning when I arrived at work and bike started to drip a little. When I came out after work and started it up it dripped a whole lot (unsafe) so I got a ride home and went back to trailer it home.Put on my repair-table and found it was leaking where the "ear" broke off. Am now looking at after-market adapters to replace it. Found one made out of billet alluminum but not sure about them---don't want to go to salvage yard as they would be as old as mine so could be as much trouble in long run. Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!

I've had the RIVCO spin on oil filter adapter on my 83 for about 2 years now, and I think it's the best thing I've done to the bike. Makes it real easy and fast to change the filter. Never had any trouble out of it yet. Seems like I gave around $60.00 for it from JP Cycle, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Thanks Oldandcrotchety for the information--checked on price and are now over $100. Found another one made by someone north of Bellvelle Ontario on e-bay for $69 + shipping. Made of billet aluminum, have one coming-should be here next week. Thanks Marcarl for the extra stock cover,Works fine so I can ride until I receive the after-market one. THANKS again guys

Anyone interested in a spin on oil filter adapter for their 1stGen, hang loose for a bit. I'm working on a group buy with an adapter manufacture. We're just now ironing out the pricing details. More coming shortly.....

PS: I'm also swapping emails with a supplier of fork braces....

PPS: Once the Odyssey group buy is put to bed for this year, I'll be starting a MAC Muffler group.....

Yay on the Mac's

Yay on the fork brace.

Anyone want on old style 2" thick superbrace? I have

$25.00 invested from e-bay. Seems to be about .005-.007

wider than my forks will handle. Don't want to loosen all

my pinch bolts up to try and squeeze it in as the mfg.

suggested.

JB

OK, a quick up date on the oil adapter. After crunching the numbers the savings wouldn't have been much better than buying an adapter right off Ebay. The Ebay price is $69.95 + $9.00 shipping. The best I could do with 10 being shipped to me and distributed out of here was $73.50 total. You'd save $6.50. Really not worth it. Sorry to get a few folks stirred up, but we tried......

Here's a copy of the email I received:

Jack

Thanks anyway, being hand made it's not practical to bring the price down any more. Ebay is ok, and there is built in buyer protection (not that we need it) but many may feel more comfortable that way. Of course they can still save 6 bucks buying direct.

bob hagerman

And I suppose if you contacted Bob by email at huntech2006@yahoo.ca you could save a few bucks.

I'm still working on the brace buy

Yay on the Mac's

Yay on the fork brace.

Anyone want on old style 2" thick superbrace? I have

$25.00 invested from e-bay. Seems to be about .005-.007

wider than my forks will handle. Don't want to loosen all

my pinch bolts up to try and squeeze it in as the mfg.

suggested.

JB

I PM'd ya JB.....

Hey Condor that's where I Just bought one from yestureday. You guy's save more as we in Ontario Canada have to pay $16.50 for shipping/pst/gst(taxes).Mine should arrive next week. Borrowed extra one off Marcarl as he had an extra.(some mishap he had). Thought for a minnute that as usual I lost out on a bargain but seems no deal on quantity buy.

Hey Condor that's where I Just bought one from yestureday. You guy's save more as we in Ontario Canada have to pay $16.50 for shipping/pst/gst(taxes).Mine should arrive next week. Borrowed extra one off Marcarl as he had an extra.(some mishap he had). Thought for a minnute that as usual I lost out on a bargain but seems no deal on quantity buy.

Unfortunately if you had bought it directly from the maker you could have gotten another $6 bucks off... Oh well.....

Condor I do believe it is the manufacturer I am getting it from as the names are the same as your e-mail's, and he says it is cheaper to ship to U.S. than to someone down the street.Also our two taxes are payed in the shipping.

Condor I do believe it is the manufacturer I am getting it from as the names are the same as your e-mail's, and he says it is cheaper to ship to U.S. than to someone down the street.Also our two taxes are payed in the shipping.

I'm sure it is. Bob also stated to me that if you order direct from him, instead of going thru Ebay, there's a $6 savings. And....... if you live a few blocks away I'm sure you'd be able to swing on by and save on the shipping too. :)

How does the quality of the adapter made by the Canadian guy compare to the Rivco product?

Good question. Quality I'm sure is good, and the price is better, but from what I can see the Canadia adaptor is a 2 piece system, while the Rivco is one piece. I really can't see why the Canadian is 2 parts, unless it has something to do with design patents?? It would seem to me that the lower profile of the Rivco would make it easier to remove a filter from behind the chin fairing??

Good question. Quality I'm sure is good, and the price is better, but from what I can see the Canadia adaptor is a 2 piece system, while the Rivco is one piece. I really can't see why the Canadian is 2 parts, unless it has something to do with design patents?? It would seem to me that the lower profile of the Rivco would make it easier to remove a filter from behind the chin fairing??
Canadian is better, because if you break one piece you only have to replace 1\2 of it, with the Rivco you have to replace the whole thing.:think:

According to the Manufacturer it is a ONE piece unit with the mounting tube in the middle. The picture is of one unit only --showing both sides. Seems to be like the rivco unit. It is about 7/8" thick and the filter(seperately bought) is about 3 3/8" making it about 4 1/4" total and taking rough measurements it seems to clear the chin guard.. I could show it when I receive it(if interested)

According to the Manufacturer it is a ONE piece unit with the mounting tube in the middle. The picture is of one unit only --showing both sides. Seems to be like the rivco unit. It is about 7/8" thick and the filter(seperately bought) is about 3 3/8" making it about 4 1/4" total and taking rough measurements it seems to clear the chin guard.. I could show it when I receive it(if interested)

That makes more sense. I think the pic gives the wrong impression.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Oldandcrotchety for the information--checked on price and are now over $100. Found another one made by someone north of Bellvelle Ontario on e-bay for $69 + shipping. Made of billet aluminum, have one coming-should be here next week. Thanks Marcarl for the extra stock cover,Works fine so I can ride until I receive the after-market one. THANKS again guys

So how does it look and work? Have you put it on yet?

Guest fawnpugsx2

I just recieved my oil filter adapter from the canadian supplier and its great, quick installation. well worth the money.

• 5 months later...

So how does it look and work? Have you put it on yet?

Yeah, where is the Pics????????