IGNORED

Tires for the RSTD

Guest Diggs

Thinking about Metzlers for my TD. Any size suggestions? I wanted to go with a bigger rear tire, but i'm not sure if it is wise. Any input is welcomed.:bobby:

I can't speak to Metzler tires, but from what I've read on this site the 170 series tire will rub on the swing arm. There is very little clearance there so you take a chance the tire you buy won't fit. I'm not aware of anyone that has had success at putting on a larger rear tire.

Best of luck.

I can't speak to Metzler tires, but from what I've read on this site the 170 series tire will rub on the swing arm. There is very little clearance there so you take a chance the tire you buy won't fit. I'm not aware of anyone that has had success at putting on a larger rear tire.

Best of luck.

There were many posts about Avon Venom X tires before the crash. Also the advantages of using the MT90 16 (130/90) Profile tire on the front. It is the same circumference as stock but a narrower profile.

The posts were right. I installed them last year and put on 8500 km, they are great. Low speed cornering is much improved, as well as high-speed stability and braking. Also they are excellent in the rain. And they still look new, even with a heavy load and a heavy throttle hand....

I can't speak to the leveling link as I'm too short to install one, but I sure do like the Avons!

Good Luck!

Bob LeDuc

I put ME880s on and I'm a happy motorcyclist. They have a higher air pressure, I'm not an expert but I think that led to better gas mileage because of less rolling resistance. I have 6000 miles (two-up hiway miles) on them and they look good. Lots of tread to go yet.

There were many posts about Avon Venom X tires before the crash. Also the advantages of using the MT90 16 (130/90) Profile tire on the front. It is the same circumference as stock but a narrower profile.

The posts were right. I installed them last year and put on 8500 km, they are great. Low speed cornering is much improved, as well as high-speed stability and braking. Also they are excellent in the rain. And they still look new, even with a heavy load and a heavy throttle hand....

I can't speak to the leveling link as I'm too short to install one, but I sure do like the Avons!

Good Luck!

Bob LeDuc

i agree the avons are the way to go.got them on my rstd.handling improved alot.a wide rear tire causes heavy counter steering in the curves.i know i ruined the sport bike handling on my warrior with the edition of a 240 rear tire.:2133:

Nothing wrong with metzeler, there is very little room with the stock size rear as the 150 is a little wider than the stock Bridgestone I had. They wear nice as well, I have 12,000 miles on the back and I will probably get another 4-5000 miles out of it and I am hard on the throttle and carry heavy loads. I have run metz' on previous bikes with the same results.

Ace

You can't go with a bigger tire on the back, it will rub the driveshaft tube. Only problem with the 880 Metz is there has been problems with chunks of the tires coming off. I had a set on my 1st '99 and were happy with them as far as performance, but I know of a few folks here that had the rubber coming off problem.

I run the Avon Venom X's with the narrower front tire on my 2nd '99 and I love them! I have used them on my '86 also and was VERY happy with them on it. Not trying to sell you on a different tire, but I am leary about the 880's and the problems they have had with them.

Whatever tire you choose I would strongly suggest that you use Southwest Moto Tire for purchasing whatever you decide. They are a contributing vendor and have just about the best price you'll find anywhere on the internet. Besides that they DONATED a set of Avon Venoms for our E-Fishin-C bike project last year. They are great to deal with and this is who I buy all my tires from :happy34:

Guest shoveldog

I installed the The Avon Venoms, MT90 on the front and the 150/90 on the back, and never looked back. The difference is so dramatic you will not believe its the same bike. These guys had the best prices when I bought: www.swmototires.com

Anybody from NE Ohio going to the IX Center for the bike show this weekend?

I hate to keep beating a dead horse, however, i don't want to order the wrong tires. Are these the tires you put on your bike?

Avon Venom 150/90HB-15 Rear

Avon Venom MT90HB-16 Front:bobby:

I have those exact tires on my 05 RSTD. I love them. I don't know how to describe the feeling when I put them on. This is an exageration, but it was kind of like taking a beating everyday for 6 months, then one day the beatings stopped.

Ride on.

i got the best ride and wear out of the avons, had a lot of trouble out of the dunlops, front tire blowed(several people said same thing) up in the middle and got wobbley in about 6,000 miles. i got about 25,000 miles out of avon on front, 9k( did a lot of burnouts), 12k and 18k out of 3 back tires. ran a 180 on rear but it did rub with low air and heavy weight. ran a 170 with out any rubbing, but had a 170 metzler rub bad but stopped with more air pressure in it(just ran it used about 2k to get me thru riding season). it's differant for each person and their riding style.

I just put new set of Avon's on my 89. Rebuilt front end, installed new progressive Springs and I have the Supperbrace installed also.

--- I have only ridden it about 100 miles with the new tires, but the bike finally seems to Drive Correctly. Its a subtle comparison, but so far I think I can say the Avon's are better handling.

I put in 15 Wgt. fork Oil, and have been test rideing with No Air pressure with the progressive springs. Seems to ride just fine that way. After I get in a couple of long rides, I might switch back to 10 wgt oil in the forks.

--- will see, Tires are not really broke in yet.

• 4 months later...
Guest Pat S

Metzler does have an upgrade recomendation

this was written up in a past Roadbike issue..also I think they were talking the 880's

Rear OE: 150/90b-15

upgrade 180/70b-15

Front match 150/80-15

I also am getting ready for new tires, am not pleased with the stock Bridgestone Excedra tires, way to slick on wet roads. Also have only got 8000miles out of the rear..front seems ok

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

I just put the Dunlop 404's on the front and back. I've put about 400 miles on them since then. I can't find anything wrong yet. Very smooth ride.

• 7 months later...

................................I am very happy with the Metzler ME 880 Marathons. I had over 15,000 miles on the last set and they still had soime tread left. I only changed them because I got a nail in the rear, and I wanted to go with a

smaller tire in the front. They were very good in the rain. Now I don't ride hard or fast. However, over 1,000 miles were in the twisties in West Virginia. If they were noisy I did not notice. When I have to replace them I will go with Metzler again.

• 1 month later...

I had a couple of sets of Metzler 880 on my Roadstar,,, soooooo much better than the OEM Brigstones. I used the wider rear last time but didn't like the wide contact wear patch after 10k (increased effort in slow turns).

But I did witness one come apart (entire ring of rubber) on a Valkyrie last weekend. I had presented them with a Guardian Bell that morning, whew, safe! (It was less than a year old,,, but I figure it was under inflated for some time.)

I have the Avon Venoms (MT90B16 front / 150/90B15 rear) on my RSTD. The previous owner put them on, got 17k on rear but will replace both next week as the front is loosing air,,, and all this handling hype makes me want to start fresh front and back!

Mike G in SC

Guest oldman

I would like to try a B F Goodrich Radial TA 155/80-R15 on the rear of my RSV. Does anyone know if it will fit? I used to run a car tire on a Valkyrie with no problems and lots of more miles for the money. Oldman

• 11 months later...
i'm looking online at the venom 150/90 HB15 rear & MT90HB16 front - i see the rear is Aramid belted and the frt you can buy Aramid belted or non belted. should i buy both tires as belted?

Buz

I have avon tyres and the front is a MT90, when I bought the tires I did not specify the belted and I find no indicators on the sidewall to indicate the Aramid belt. I got 28,000 miles out of the front and get around 15,000 out of a rear, which is belted. I guess you can make your own conclusions form this info. I know that I am not putting another MT90 on the front, I am going back to stock because I feel that the bike gets squirrely as the narrower front tire wears.

Edited by Ace

I would like to try a B F Goodrich Radial TA 155/80-R15 on the rear of my RSV. Does anyone know if it will fit? I used to run a car tire on a Valkyrie with no problems and lots of more miles for the money. Oldman

Yep it will fit. This is what I'm puttin on my 05 when the time comes.

Guest Saddletramp

I have the 170 Metzler on my 06 Midnight Venture. There is a slight bit less than 1/4 inch clearence between the tire and my driveshaft tube. I haven't ridden them yet due to the winter but they are on there and appear to have clearence. I wanted the white walls also and wanted to get away from dunlop. I did read some place that the Metzler upgrade to a 180 wouldn't clear. To the best of my knowledge Avon does not make a whitewall tire. I was going to buy Avon but didn't for this sole reason.

Edited by Saddletramp
addition and capitals