IGNORED

New to me 1989 Venture,

I have just bought a 1989 Venture Royal, with 43,000 miles, it starts and runs briefly then cut off, I am already figuring on rebuilding the carbs just wondering what else I should be on the look out for,

I am also wondering if there is an heel toe shifter set up for this bike

Edited by Mcolabella

You just gotta post some photos of that new treasure!

Lots of things that could be done such as flush the brake lines, clutch line, replace fuel filter, drain the fuel tank to maybe get some of the rust particles out of the bottom, disconnect all of the electrical connections and clean/spray them with contact cleaner, install a 4 brush starter in place of the 2 brush, and replace the fork springs with progressives. I'm sure others will chime in with other ideas.

You just gotta post some photos of that new treasure!

Lots of things that could be done such as flush the brake lines, clutch line, replace fuel filter, drain the fuel tank to maybe get some of the rust particles out of the bottom, disconnect all of the electrical connections and clean/spray them with contact cleaner, install a 4 brush starter in place of the 2 brush, and replace the fork springs with progressives. I'm sure others will chime in with other ideas.

Thanks for the info, photos to come,

Nice

Its even the bestest color.

first things to do are safety related. Change all fluids, check brakes, check age and condition of tires.

Next thing is to get it running right. Start with new spark plugs and a heavy dose of Seafoam.

The rest is gravy that can be done as you go.

Here are some photos of the new to me venture [ATTACH=CONFIG]102928[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]102928[/ATTACH]

That's a beautiful bike. Same color as my 88! I took mine to the west coast and back from Nebraska this year. You'll friggin love it!

I hope these come through. It might help you a little. Also, try the carb cleaning and SeaForm soak before tearing them out. It could save you a lot of time and trouble.

Also, the picture below of the two long pliers, if you have Harbor Freight close by, get that set ( about $10.00) they will be VERY handy for many jobs on the Venture.

Carb Cleaning 101.doc1989 stats and information.docCHECKLIST for 1st Generation VENTURES.docThrottle switch clean.pdfCARB REMOVAL AND CLEANING1.docIMAG1693.jpg

I hope these come through. It might help you a little. Also, try the carb cleaning and SeaForm soak before tearing them out. It could save you a lot of time and trouble.

Also, the picture below of the two long pliers, if you have Harbor Freight close by, get that set ( about $10.00) they will be VERY handy for many jobs on the Venture.

[ATTACH]102932[/ATTACH][ATTACH]102933[/ATTACH][ATTACH]102934[/ATTACH][ATTACH]102935[/ATTACH][ATTACH]102936[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]102937[/ATTACH]

Thanks for your help

Congrats, I had a a little 89 scooter follow me home as well. Welcome and love this forum.

Mine does the same and I am figuring on doing this before i try rebuilding carbs. (found on here)

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

There is also videos about changing diaphragms and getting them on ebay. can do them while your at it. may want to get a sync. tool.

Don't know about the heel toe shifter though. interesting what you find. post your results too, we be interested.

• 3 weeks later...

Check the fuel tank " Vent " just to the right of the Gas Filler Cap.

Remove rubber hose, check the Brass Insert that has a VERY Small hole thru it.

It might be plugged.

Completely Drain your fuel tank at the petcock !! Use the Reserve Position of petcock. Install a chunk of fuel hose

to a can to completely drain the tank. And All 4 Carb bowls, ( they each have a drain valve )

Put in a gallon of fresh fuel, with a good dose of " Sea-Foam" additive. If it runs, after 30 min.

drain the tank again to be sure its cleaned out completely.

These Tanks, collect Water in the bottom of the tank !!!!!! A complete Drain is the only way to get it out of the tank !!

Check all your battery leads, connections, At battery, they come loose .

Replace your Fuel Filter !! Just to be sure its not getting plugged up !!!

I am in possession of a Heel/Toe shifter setup that came off my 89 parts donor. It's quite an elaborate assembly for footboards with a frame going under the engine to carry the boards and shifter assembly. I can snap a few pictures the next time I venture out to the shed... I'm not sure I want to sell it or put it on Blu... Having a picture of what you're looking for may be helpful, thought I.

I am in possession of a Heel/Toe shifter setup that came off my 89 parts donor. It's quite an elaborate assembly for footboards with a frame going under the engine to carry the boards and shifter assembly. I can snap a few pictures the next time I venture out to the shed... I'm not sure I want to sell it or put it on Blu... Having a picture of what you're looking for may be helpful, thought I.

I would be thankful, for some photos. they might be helpful

It's been long enough since I removed floorboards to pull mufflers and exhaust pipes from parts donor that I'd forgotten I left the shifter on the bike - and, of course, that side of the bike is nearly against the wall of the shed. I've reached my phone down between the wall and the bike in order to get a couple of shots of the shifter for you. Sorry if they're a bit confusing. I also took a couple of the floorboard carrier and floorboard with brake pedal attached after dragging it out into the middle of the floor. I -believe- this is a kit sold aftermarket by Yamaha. Unfortunately I'm not the first owner and have no knowledge.

Trying upload again...

1. Wall (left) side snap of shifter 20160131_153330.jpg20160131_153338.jpg20160131_153344.jpg20160131_153354.jpg

2. Floorboard Carrier and Brake Pedal 20160131_153401.jpg20160131_153419.jpg20160131_153422.jpg

3. Parts Donor 20160131_153426.jpg

Hope this helps... Holler if I can snap close-ups of anything in order to give more detail. Shifter itself is just a bit hard to reach due to crap stored on the wall over it - basically I'm shooting blind.

Very best of luck.

It's been long enough since I removed floorboards to pull mufflers and exhaust pipes from parts donor that I'd forgotten I left the shifter on the bike - and, of course, that side of the bike is nearly against the wall of the shed. I've reached my phone down between the wall and the bike in order to get a couple of shots of the shifter for you. Sorry if they're a bit confusing. I also took a couple of the floorboard carrier and floorboard with brake pedal attached after dragging it out into the middle of the floor. I -believe- this is a kit sold aftermarket by Yamaha. Unfortunately I'm not the first owner and have no knowledge.

Trying upload again...

1. Wall (left) side snap of shifter [ATTACH=CONFIG]103269[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]103270[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]103271[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]103272[/ATTACH]

2. Floorboard Carrier and Brake Pedal [ATTACH=CONFIG]103273[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]103274[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]103275[/ATTACH]

3. Parts Donor [ATTACH=CONFIG]103276[/ATTACH]

Hope this helps... Holler if I can snap close-ups of anything in order to give more detail. Shifter itself is just a bit hard to reach due to crap stored on the wall over it - basically I'm shooting blind.

Very best of luck.

CheifCass

Are you trying to sell your set up, thank you for the photos how does the shifter mount

Not selling it at least not yet. Thinking I may install on my Blu. Appears to Mount with flat bracket bolted to frame near rear of engine then pedal mounts to bracket farther forward and has linkage to shifter rod attached to the pedal.

Way way`way way cool on the heal/toe Chief,, THAT is just bad to the bone!! So I get to gawking at those and then notice the rest of aftermarket stuff on your bike.. Gotta ask,, looking at the rear boards it appears to have an outboard board and an inboard board and what appears to be an extra chrome bar leading diagnally from the inside floorboard toward the rear of the bike.. What's that all about,, was that a side hack scoot or something? Also noticed lots of other aftermarket stuff, think I am seeing chrome air intakes on the fairing, lighted front bumper, chrome front mud flap.. Got any other shots of cool stuff on it you could share with us?

Any chance you have any shots of this scoot back when it was a rider? I just betcha THAT was one awesome scoot!!

THANK YOU for sharing the pics that you did Chief - WELL DONE!!!

I'll post picks of parts donor back in her heyday - before my relative blew head gasket and experienced terminal overheating event. I own same bike but very stock and blue two-tone. I bought donor with idea of making her rideable again then found Blu with less miles and in much better shape so I bought it, too

Oops. I'll try posting pictures this weekend - my Android tablet says it's out of memory (kinda like me before coffee).