IGNORED

2016 Yamaha FJR1300A & FJR1300ES

leo3wheel

I own both a 1st Gen Venture and an FJR. Both bikes are outstanding, but there is one major difference. The VR is a touring bike and the FJR is SPORT touring.

Both are very capable tourers(I did 7800 miles in the west on my FJR this summer) but the FJR is a thoroughbred that can be thrashed hooligan style and is happy with it. Now I have ridden both on twisty roads, have drug parts with both, and can say that the FJR is easier to ride aggressively in the twisty bits.

In '16, the FJR comes with cruise and heated grips, which puts it even closer to the VR. I would agree that the factory top box moves it closer to the VR, but 200 pounds makes a difference, and the much stiffer chassis is quite noticeable.

My VR didn't get much love last year, it will probably go on the block soon.

Back in the day, before the FJ, the 1stGen's were considered by many as the first sports tourer. If things evolved on a yearly basis like other manufactures, the FJR would probably have a V4, and we'd still be calling it a Venture.

Right there with ya Jack, having never matured (take that anyway you would like :hihi:) into a real "touring" rider and having spent most of my "touring" hours aboard a MK1 first gen, I can really see exactly what your talking about brother. Looking at the seating of the FJ (height differences between driver/pass) this sure looks familiar. Couple things that I would question and want answers to would be where the air pocket would be on the FJ (what kind of coverage does that leaned back windshield afford the passenger) and how difficult would it be to bring the bars back to support a more leaned back riding position for the driver.

Also I wonder if the front lower fairing has built in Highway pegs (seems like I saw this on a similar model to the FJ - maybe @TJ 's new Honda?) - gotta be able to get the feet out front for long distance comfort (in my case) but also keep the mid controls too.

Yea,, I think with a little tweeking (here we go again) and a few well placed stickers (here we again again) that FJ would be completely capable of some 16hr days :beer:

So here ya go. Motorcycle Larry produces some slick highway pegs for the FJR. I don't have them on mine, but 800 mile days have not been a problem. I have an aftermarket top triple clamp that raises the bars and moves them back to the point that I sit comfortably upright.

The lovely Barbie has not had issue with wind or buffeting, and the big reason is that it has a Rifle +4+4 windscreen on it, and wait for it........it is adjustable via an electric motor that has a range of about 5". Oh!, and it has a Russell saddle on it which makes it those big mileage days possible.

I bought my FJR with all the farkles installed with only 7000 miles on it.

Me likey.

Haven't ridden a FJR but would love to. I owned a 2004 Kawasaki Concours which is similar to the FJR. The windshield on that bike kept my helmet in a quiet zone, much better than my 89VR. I think the VR windshield is too far forward of the rider to keep it quiet around my helmet. They are totally different bikes. The Concours that model is extremely top heavy. The 7.5 gallon gas tank sitting up high was part of the cause of that. I like the Concours but I had two complaints, the top heaviness, and I had to lean forward putting some weight on my arms. Other than those to two issues, it's a great bike. I think the 1L engine had about 92 or more hp. With that huge tank it had the cruising range of a car. I would have kept it, but when I first got it, my riding skills were rusty and it had an almost worn out dual compound front tire that had a narrow ridge of harder rubber running down the center that made the bike even more tippy. Anyhow, I dropped it twice when I first got it. First time, no problem except I hurt my back trying to pick up that 670lb beast. Second time I tried my best to keep it upright resulting in it falling on my right foot and breaking my second metatarsel. I was lucky that one other guy was in the parking lot off the main road at the Everglades National Park who helped get the bike off my foot. Then sitting at a desk all day combined with my age and I got some bad blood clots in my lower leg and spent 4 months on warfarin. Soooo, my wife told me I had to get rid of that dxx bike. It took a long time to sell it and I was loving it by the time it did sell.

So here ya go. Motorcycle Larry produces some slick highway pegs for the FJR. I don't have them on mine, but 800 mile days have not been a problem. I have an aftermarket top triple clamp that raises the bars and moves them back to the point that I sit comfortably upright.

The lovely Barbie has not had issue with wind or buffeting, and the big reason is that it has a Rifle +4+4 windscreen on it, and wait for it........it is adjustable via an electric motor that has a range of about 5". Oh!, and it has a Russell saddle on it which makes it those big mileage days possible.

I bought my FJR with all the farkles installed with only 7000 miles on it.

Me likey.

Hey Dave,, any chance of a :photographing: or two? Maybe even some of you folks out riding it - WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOME!! Sounds like a DANDY brother!!

What kind of performance we talking on the FJR - any idea of HP specs on it? Are those 6 speeders? @BlueSky mentions something in talking about his Concours, that being where his bike carries the fuel up on its backbone creating some top heaviness. Does the FJR have a backbone mounted tank and if so, have you noticed it making a difference compared to your 1st Gen?

Going back to the 1st gen heritage it even has linked brakes......... but at least it also has ABS.

Not sure if I like the idea of throttle by wire and traction control......

As far as a touring machine. I don't see any frame looking stuff back there to attach a trailer hitch, or in @cowpucs case a second luggage rack.

At 642 lbs, the rule of thumb for towing is to keep the trailer under 50% of the bikes weight, that rules out a lot of the popup campers.

But none the less it is interesting.

Going back to the 1st gen heritage it even has linked brakes......... but at least it also has ABS.

Not sure if I like the idea of throttle by wire and traction control......

As far as a touring machine. I don't see any frame looking stuff back there to attach a trailer hitch, or in @cowpucs case a second luggage rack.

At 642 lbs, the rule of thumb for towing is to keep the trailer under 50% of the bikes weight, that rules out a lot of the popup campers.

But none the less it is interesting.

Gotta be a way to tack on a tent rack there Fool - where there's a will there's a way!! I am with ya on the throttle by wire and traction control too.. Like your fellow engineer Scotty said about the "new" Excelsier Star Ship = the more sophisticated they become the easier it is to stop up their plumbing :big-grin-emoticon:

It's certainly not lacking for performance. As stated, 145hp is what the factory says, and I won't dispute that. I don't feel it being more top heavy than my VR. I find the greatest difference is that the FJR frame and forks is far and away stiffer than my VR.

i have a GIVI mount that is quite robust that attaches in 5 places to the main frame. It holds a 37litre top box that I have loaded to capacity with no issue. Since it is a second generation, it has cable throttle, linked brakes, and ABS. I haven't noticed the need for traction control to date.

I have some Puig frame sliders on it that can be used to rest feet on but not for extended periods of time. Also, there are a number of trailer hitches available for them.

I have acouple of photos photos on here and will try to upload some others tomorrow.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I own both a 1st Gen Venture and an FJR. Both bikes are outstanding, but there is one major difference. The VR is a touring bike and the FJR is SPORT touring.

Both are very capable tourers(I did 7800 miles in the west on my FJR this summer) but the FJR is a thoroughbred that can be thrashed hooligan style and is happy with it. Now I have ridden both on twisty roads, have drug parts with both, and can say that the FJR is easier to ride aggressively in the twisty bits.

In '16, the FJR comes with cruise and heated grips, which puts it even closer to the VR. I would agree that the factory top box moves it closer to the VR, but 200 pounds makes a difference, and the much stiffer chassis is quite noticeable.

My VR didn't get much love last year, it will probably go on the block soon.

I've been thinking long about a sport tour like an FJR. With two old little cafe racers I was just looking at bikes on Craigs and found the xvz12 interesting and cheap so I got it. Never cared for dressers but I stripped the bags and trunk and unecessaries and love it. Good in the cold weather. How does the FJR compare for comfort and effort? I'm getting old.

Regarding comfort, with the Russell saddle, it makes 800+ miles a day a breeze. There is a reason why the FJR is the most used piece for the big Iron Butt contest. Having an adjustable windshield allows for changes in air management on the fly.

Everything on the FJR is stiffer in the frame and forks, the bike is lighter, has more readily available power, and has radial tires, so for me, it is a bit easier to ride in a spirited manner.

i bought my VR specifically for 2 up touring. After a couple of multi-day trips, the lovely Barbie decided that she really didn't enjoy spending multiple hours in the saddle of that bike. So, for that very reason, I didn't ride it all that much last season. I agree completely that it is a great cold weather ride, and with heated grips, I could ride mine at below freezing temps without issue.

I understand and about getting old. I am already there.