IGNORED

Indian Roadmaster test ride

slowrollwv

Well our local Yamaha dealer is now an Indian dealer also. I went in to take a look, Well that was a start. They pulled a 2016 off the show floor and down the road I went. I did about 30 miles on back roads and I like it. I am going to take the wife in on Sat. and will see what she thinks of it. My thoughts is it feels a lot lighter than my RSV, and about 2 1/2" lower in seat height. Cruise and ABS brakes take a little to get use to but not a problem. The shifter could be out to the left a little, kind of hard to find in short trial ride. Plenty of power from the start and the 6 speed tranny is nice. The power windshield is a plus but the button could be in a better place. Plenty of power outlets without having to add them. Trunk is huge. It will hold two modular helmets and a couple light jackets. saddle bags are a little larger too. I have heard from others about heat coming from the motor and it does on the right side. It was only 73* here today so I am sure that it could get a lot hotter as the temps go up. And I ask about a CB but they do not offer one. The only thing that I didn't like too well was the price tag. $31,700 OTD. I think I could get a well equipped GW for that price and have everything I would want in a new bike. So I will let it up to the wife to decide .

OUTSTANDING ROLLER!! :dancefool::dancefool::clap2::clap2: Thanks for the great report, cant WAIT to see you folks on it if you get it,, think you would be VERY happy with one, LOVE THE NEW INDIANS TOO,, you got VERY good tastes,, to bad another one is about to jump ship (actually aimed at Mother Yamaha - I personally will ride with my brothers no matter what they ride:Laugh:) and in closing,, where's the :photographing:'s - what da heck,, I can find the dog gone :photographing:'s...:big-grin-emoticon:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:for what ever one you and the wife choose Roller!!

Slowroll,

They are certainly fun to test ride and are interesting looking bikes, but, go with the GW. You'll be a lot more happy when you need to find a dealer while on a trip. We test rode one when it was 90 degrees and man, the heat issue is something i'm not gonna tolerate. Good luck to ya.

Big Lenny

I was just reading a good comparison test in Road Runner Mag Oct edition, between Indian Roadmaster and HD Ultra Limited. HD won on several points. Less heat and More dealers but performance and more stuff as well.

I have two brothers that have HDs and the younger one of the two said get a HD and be done with buying bikes. He did not like my answer to that. The oldest brother had my RSV when I bought it and he still kicks his rump for selling it. I am just not a HD guy. I like the look and sound but that is where it stops.

I like the looks of the Indians, but from my experience you would be doing yourself a disservice if you do not look at a Wing real close before you decide, especially for that sort of money. Wings have their own issues, but I sure am impressed with mine.

If money is a discussion here, the Wing is the hands down winner between these two. You can get a full boat loaded Wing with CB, GPS, and all the fixins for way less than a Roadmaster. And the aftermarket accessory offering for the Wing dwarfs the Indian. You hear people say the Wing is the bike to get for long distance touring, and that is true, but it's a wicked great bike in the twisties too. If you take all of the skin off of a Wing, what lies underneath is a big sportbike frame. A few years ago the Discovery Channel did a special on the Goldwinig, and it was darn impressive. Honda commissioned their top sportbike designer to design the current Wing, and he was on the show talking about his overall thoughts on how they want the Wing to be a perfect mix of long distance tourer and performance bike on the technical roads. So, you might be asking yourself if I'm so high on the Wing, then why don't I own one? The answer for me is very straight forward. I have had 6 knee surgeries (sports injuries), and the neutral sitting position with my feet directly below me and slightly behind me doesn't work for me anymore. And, I'm 6'6" with a 37" inseam and the fairing rubs against the front of my knees which drives me crazy! I know you can get highway pegs to stretch your legs out, but the fairing and engine heads are so wide, for me, when my feet are on the highway pegs, I feel pretty much like a woman feels at the OBGYN. LOL.

I think the Indian is an appealing ride. It's unique and looks like no other bike. And having a bike that not many folks have really turns me on. But, the heat that we experienced on the test ride that day, and the fact that their dealer network is at best anemic, and the price being higher than eagle feathers, ugh, not for me.

I have my eyes on a new victory. I'm terrible afraid to ride one only for the fact that I would buy it or not return from the test ride.

That's pretty much what happened to me when I bought mine in 2013 LOL.

All I can say after 3 summers riding it and 36,000 kilometers is it's a pretty impressive bike. Like any other bike, it has it's "quirks" but nothing a person can't deal with. As far as mechanical issues, there haven't been any and I know of a few guys with over 100k without any problems.

You hear people say the Wing is the bike to get for long distance touring, and that is true, but it's a wicked great bike in the twisties too. If you take all of the skin off of a Wing, what lies underneath is a big sportbike frame.

How true!

When I had my '03 which was equipped with Traxxion suspension, I could push that bike in the twisties much harder than any other "touring" style bike I've ever owned.

I came from several Victories. Both Visions. Lost my last one to a divorce. Man, I loved that bike. They can get warm. I just recently purchased a 99 RSV. working through some issues since it sat for 3 years in a garage and never touched. The price was right and gets me back riding. I do like the RSV. A nice comfortable ride. I haven't taken any long trips on it yet though. I did a lot on my Visions. Those engines are so rock solid and power through the entire band in every gear. I'm a road captain for our local dealership. Ride them all a lot (Both Victory and Indians). I like the Tour Master also. Love the looks. But I love the way I can stretch out on a Vision. I guess there are pro's and con's to EVERY bike. You like the Vtwin sound, you like the 4 or 6 cylinder smoothness. It's all preference. I think my problem is that I like them all (except I'm not a HD type of guy). I'm not against the bikes (I like the look and ride), it's the attitude that drives me away. I have to comment on the dealership issue that someone brought up. The Indians and Victories, like I said, are rock solid. They just work. And there is a large network of people to help also. Whichever way you go, you will love it. I'm sure of that. Good luck hunting and ride safe.

OH, I want to mention one more thing. It is odd for me coming from the Victories regarding the heat. It is warm on a hot day, but on a cool day, it sure is nice to put a hand down next to the engine and get some warmth. I miss that on the RSV. They run so cool compared to what I'm used to. On these cooler days and I'm out riding. I don't have my built in motor hand warmers!!!!!!!!!

A Wing Trike! I've been drooling over a lot of those lately. I think I want a NEW 1st Gen and trike it myself!! I just cain't help it the 1st Gen is the best thing I've ever rode but I've also never been on a wing or a trike. I'm still thinking change but what I have no idea. 2nd Gen and a few others could be going up for sale. After the big slash in my stay at home check I have to think of that too. Maybe I'll flip the new property for about 20 more than I paid real quick........:Avatars_Gee_George: I can dream cain't I??:backinmyday:

I understand that!! I DO NOT WANT a trike. But if I keep going.......:think: I've beat myself with all of it lately. Had several hints that my skills are just not up to snuff or whatever. The fact that I'm getting older. That I'm just unlucky. That I ride too hard. My hearing is gone. My eyesight is failing. Heard it all. You can probally make a good guess where I'm getting most of these suggestions. Hope you make that decision easier than I can Bro. Its wearing me out!!!!:bang head::bang head::Avatars_Gee_George:

I think I figured it out you guys. Its all in the code if you bend em a little.. Kind of a combination of "its easier to ask forgiveness than permission" and the "boys will be boys" clause..

What we do is all get Trikes to keep us riding well into our 90's and keep them happy for a long time(speaking in code).. Then we get old beater V-Maxes to play with when they are gone shopping for what ever it is they go shopping for............ I am in the process of testing the V-Max plan and so far it is working great - takes the "edge" off the need for speed and it has the looks (to them) of just another parts bike..:big-grin-emoticon::thumbsup:

Roller, is the wing trike your looking at an 1800? They do make one very very beautiful Trike when set up right.. Never rode either the 1800 bike or trike but I have heard many many GREAT reports on both.. Personally I would be proud to try wearing out either form!!!

I would like a trike every once in awhile. Not full time. Maybe ad it to the stable. I know when I ride to work it is not a problem. No traffic. But on the way home.......I usually end up duck walking the bike atleast 8 miles. Traffic is worse now because of the I-96/US-23 interchange construction. It would be nice to just sit back and roll along not having to keep the bike up. I have looked at getting another RSV already converted to the Hannigan. I know if the Harley Tri-Glide I rented in SD would have been an independent rear susupension, it probably would have been bought and rode home.

Edited by rickardracing

I think I figured it out you guys. Its all in the code if you bend em a little.. Kind of a combination of "its easier to ask forgiveness than permission" and the "boys will be boys" clause..

What we do is all get Trikes to keep us riding well into our 90's and keep them happy for a long time(speaking in code).. Then we get old beater V-Maxes to play with when they are gone shopping for what ever it is they go shopping for............ I am in the process of testing the V-Max plan and so far it is working great - takes the "edge" off the need for speed and it has the looks (to them) of just another parts bike..:big-grin-emoticon::thumbsup:

Roller, is the wing trike your looking at an 1800? They do make one very very beautiful Trike when set up right.. Never rode either the 1800 bike or trike but I have heard many many GREAT reports on both.. Personally I would be proud to try wearing out either form!!!

Yes Puc it is an 1800. 2015 model, Silver in color.

Yes Puc it is 1800. As for the code I don't need it. She is the reason we ride today. If I need for speed I can jump on our V65 Sabre and go.

Well after a lot of looking and questions the wife and I have decided to hold off on a new bike or trike. Had everything in place but did not pull the trigger. I will ride the RSV for another year then see what I will do. Who knows maybe even a HD in the future but not likely.