IGNORED

Buying First Bike

JPK1957

Looking at a 2003 Midnight Venture at a dealer. 33K miles, 90 day warranty, $6000

Very clean bike. Only a seat stud missing ( in leather trim). Any thoughts?

Anything to watch for? Thanks, John

That is not many miles at all for an 03 but if you want to really look it over to get a better price. Look underneath at the rear shock to see if it is leaking. They are known to give out. Check the tires for wear and date. Other than that you will find out in 90 days if all things work. Don't really know if that price is good or not. Does seem a bit hi.

Have fun shopping and dealing. They are a great bike.

it's not a steal by any stretch, but as for it's condition and the miles along with the 90 day warranty, the warranty could prove very valuable if it has no restrictions. there are several members here in the land -o- Lincoln. if ya like it I say buy it!

First bike?

800+ lbs is pretty heavy for a first bike. They're also reported to be top heavy (although I can't imaging it being more top heavy than my 83!), not a good mix for a beginner.

I would suggest a MSF course for basic handling and the little things like sidestand/centerstand/low speed turns/lifting a fallen bike/etc and then lots of practice in an empty parking lot before getting in any kind of serious traffic....

First bike?

800+ lbs is pretty heavy for a first bike. They're also reported to be top heavy (although I can't imaging it being more top heavy than my 83!), not a good mix for a beginner.

I would suggest a MSF course for basic handling and the little things like sidestand/centerstand/low speed turns/lifting a fallen bike/etc and then lots of practice in an empty parking lot before getting in any kind of serious traffic....

Nah, a 2nd gen is much more top heavy than a 1st gen, not to mention the balance is different. I can pick up the hub's 1st gen off the side stand with very little trouble, but a 2nd gen I really have to muscle off the side stand. I agree, neither are good choices for a 1st bike. Get something smaller like a Suzuki c50t or a a vstar 950, or a Honda shadow. All good starter bikes. Also the MSF course is excellent. Hubs and I took it. A class like that could make the difference between a bad accident and good skills to avoid that bad accident. Also remember all the gear all the time. I wear an icon stryker vest, and bohn leg armor. Spent the $$ to get a really good helmet. I mean, how much is your head worth to you? To me, mine is priceless. Just food for thought.

Edited by GAWildKat

if you decide that you want to meet a few of the nuts in the area, feel free to e-mail or call the numbers in the profile sections here on the site.

welcome to the site, and welcome to your new venture!

+1 I am near Peoria. Would be more than willing to meet up

$6k sounds about right for a dealer sold "03 but for that price it should be in darn nice condition. Do as other say and know what that warranty covers. A lot of dealers slip in leaks and seals as uncovered items and use all kinds of shady tricks to make leaks not show on the lot. If its a good lot they should let you take it for a ride and I would drive it direct to a shop and have them give it a good look over.

As for a 1st bike just remember its heavy and take it slow until you are comfortable on it.

Congrats JP on the new scoot and welcome to VR!

Sounds like your getting a dandy there my friend. While my experiences with the Venture is limited to the 1st Gen's - I can tell you that the mighty V-4 Yam is a durable, exciting and fun power plant. Hope you find many hours of fine touring on that 2nd Gen and you find the same with hanging out around here - great bunch of varmints!!

Speaking about your purchase, if you haven't completed the deal yet I might suggest that you negotiate your 90 day warranty to not start until next riding season so you are not limited to the winter months to "test" the bikes integrity.

All the best to you and your wife as you get back into the best sport on the planet!!!

Puc

Thanks to all who replied. Put a deposit on the bike. I did ride some years ago, so wife and I plan on taking the DOT classes and start off slow next spring. Thanks again.

I was in a similar situation when I bought my bike in 2013. I had not ridden for over 25 years when I jumped back in to the motorcycle world. Starting off slow is a good idea. I took a motorcycle course in the spring of 2013 and also would go out after supper, when the traffic was light, and practice on a regular basis. That really helped to get the feel of this heavy beast. It took a long time to get used to the weight, and parking lot situations were somewhat intimidating to me. I also waited several months before I got my wife on the back. Fast forward to now, and I am very comfortable riding now. I actually like parking lots full of cars now, as it is kind of like an obstacle course I can maneuver through (go figure). I am so glad I bought this thing. It is my favorite past time by far. Road trips are awesome! You came to the right forum. The folks here are amazing! Perhaps we will see you at VR event in the future. Enjoy!

Dale.

I would consider, getting a small, bike, ( like a 500cc, something ) take the training course, and do some rideing for a few months

on the small bike, to get caught up on things !!

If you do buy that Venture, have one of our members, check it out for you, as to maintenance items. Most of the guys here are experts, on these bikes as compared to the dealer mechanics !!!

Just my 2 cents worth, for what its worth.

This is what a RSV rides like below 20MPH

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102133[/ATTACH]

This is what they ride like at 90MPH

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102134[/ATTACH]

Look at the signs in the background of that 1st pic. Is that a two wheeled beer wagon? :happy-emoticon:

Edited by H2O