IGNORED

Thinking about going lighter...

CaptainJoe

Looking at a 2015 KTM 690 R At 306 lbs. and 70 HP. ABS brakes, fuel injected...

I'd have the best of both worlds.

Could trailer bike to destination and ride street or dirt at will...

Looking at the time stamp on your post, I'm guessing you were sleep walking and had a humorous thought. You'll be OK when you wake up.

Actually I was serious. I love riding in the dirt and back roads and still enjoy riding the streets at 55 mph.

The interstates do nothing for me and it's getting downright uncomfortable doing +1000 mile trips in +90 deg. heat.

If I made a cantilever for the bunkhouse I could make a bracket to hold the KTM on the tongue. That way it wouldn't have +300 lbs tongue weight.

The 800 lbs. could easily be pulled by my 36-40 MPG Toyota Corolla S (with AC).

At the destination its rare for me to ride more than 200 miles a day so comfort isn't a factor.

An enduro would open up a lot of places a 2nd gen RSV can't go.

Nothing wrong with towing a bike to a destination and then doing some local exploring.

Highway riding is a bore. Time wasted IMHO.

Personally, I'd rather spend it in a motorhome towing a bike trailer. Wife can get up and move around, make popcorn, bring me a coffee, watch TV etc. We arrive warm and dry, park the rv and ready to ride instead of wind weary, possibly wet and then look forward to setting up a tent and sleeping on the ground.

F that tent and sleeping on the ground noise. I just turned 50...well: done that, got the TShirt. I've earned my stripes and now want some comfort when traveling.

Besides, with a MH/trailer setup I can bring a couple different bikes and my tools. The trailer becomes base camp and a shop. I can fix mine (or someone else's) bike on the spot. At the end of the day, the bikes get all locked up safe and sound in the trailer. Leave it locked to the MH and a simple alarm on the rear door and they're safe from theft, joyriders or vandals.

Maybe I'll go look at motorhomes again today.....:)

Edited by Great White

the Tiffin Allegro Red is on my scope 38' 350 diesel pusher 4 slides, the wife already has the interior colors picked out. www.tiffinmotorhomes.com

I've always wanted a Prevost conversion with tandem/triple axle trailer. Something like this:

http://m8.i.pbase.com/v3/66/482766/1/45378308.prevost.jpg

Ideally: shop tools in front, bikes on raised lift and a "run about" car on the bottom (missus will ride as a passenger, but she's not fanatical about it).

A Prevost bus conversion inside is seldom a place you don't want to spend some time.

Alas, my desire often outstrips my budget though...:(

the Tiffin Allegro Red is on my scope 38' 350 diesel pusher 4 slides, the wife already has the interior colors picked out. www.tiffinmotorhomes.com

Had a look but can't find the "350 diesel" part?

Seems they're all Freightliner chassis' with the Cummins 6.7 in thier literature for new ones.

Are you talking about a 350 Cat diesel? Most Cats in MH applications don't have the best reputation. The C7 seems to had a fairly bad rep for injectors and heads.

Truthfully, almost all modern diesel manufactures are having issues with their products lately, in road applications at least. I blame the tightening emissions regulations and how it is making the engines run hotter and harder.

Research your chassis and powertrain before you plunk down your cash. It's not just about how pretty or how comfortable a MH is or wheter or not the roof leaks or the walls delam. What I find lots of people don't consider is it might be something like a Freightliner chassis, which people think is "industrial strength". But as a MH (and it's usually their lightest cab and chassis model under the MH to save $$), it's usually always running close to it's GVWR. IE: always under stress.

Gawd help you if these monsters mechanically breaks down on you somewhere....$$$$$$!

Edited by Great White

My second bike is a ZN700 Kawasaki. It's fun to ride around town. I bought it with only 1,058 miles on it in 2009. Carb rebuild, fork seals, plugs, signal lights, rear shocks, tires, and a windshield and I have about $2600 in it. It's been reliable so far. It's not the most comfortable bike with it's short frame but okay for not too long rides. It has the King/Queen seats with a padded sissy bar like the bikes of that vintage, 1985.

DSC04092.jpg

I just want a small Ford C class with a gas V10. Something that will take me into all of the National Parks.

Edited by BlueSky

I did something similar. My wife rarely rides and even on week long trips I rarely used the saddlebags on my Venture or Tour Deluxe. Strap a duffel bag to the rear seat and head out for a week. I ended up buying an 08 Vstrom 650 with ABS and fuel injection. Only around 10k miles for $4k with some upgrades. I ride highway to work daily and run back roads on the weekends. It has been perfect so far. And it is light and handles awesome. My next bike will be either a KTM 1190 or 1290 Adventure!!

I met a guy at the Honda dealership in Miami who was from Sweden. He flew over to Miami, bought a 2003 Honda Shadow 750, loaded up with a duffle bag and a backpack and toured the USA for 30 days. He was there trying to sell the bike to the dealer. I also saw photos posted on the Voyager forum of two guys who rode the annual FL to Alaska ride. One was riding a 250 Suzuki and the other was riding a 600 Honda Scooter pulling a trailer. So, you don't have to have a big bike to tour, but bigger is more comfortable for sure.

What a timely post. The lady mentioned yesterday..."Have you thought of getting a motorhome and then either towing the bikes or the sailboat?"

Uh...yes I have....

Get a toyhauler, put bike(s) inside and tow the boat.

Uh oh....:mo money:

That's hilarious David,, mine came home from Menards the other day,, was allllllll excited,, said she noticed that the Menard's tents we been using for years (actually went thru three of them in one year) was on sale for $28 :mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money: :big-grin-emoticon:

That Tippy,, she is :thumbsup:

So, you don't have to have a big bike to tour, but bigger is more comfortable for sure.

Well that is not true. I am 6'4" and 270 pounds and my little Vstrom 650 is extremely comfy for me. Just as or more comfy as the Venture and TD were. I added bar risers, footpeg lowering kit, and aftermarket seat and I can ride all day and get off and feel like I had only ridden 5 miles to the 7-11. Plus because the bike is half the weight, I am not as worn out from fighting such a large load around the twisties.

Had a 650 Yamaha V-star with mustang seat(still have) that i rode to Key West Fl. and to Oregon state from Sandyville, WV.

So am very aware of the differences in ride between the two.

The RSV is heavier and just doesn't get blown around by the wind. There is no wind buffeting because of the huge fairing and windshield. The seat is so comfy one could fall asleep in it. the gearing is just right for interstates, hence it's the perfect touring bike for +500 mile days. (Wind broke tabs on my windshield in Cody WY.)

The 650 was so light the winds in Wyoming just about blew me off of the road. The helmet buffeting was so bad that by the end of the 500 mi. day my head was buzzing. Seat was good but by the time we got to Oregon had to buy an AirHawk.

As I plan on trailering the bike to destination won't have to ride 500 mi. days. 300 mi. tops and most bikes are comfortable below 300 miles.

A large toy hauler would be great but not in my budget unless of course I hit the lottery...LOL

Well that is not true. I am 6'4" and 270 pounds and my little Vstrom 650 is extremely comfy for me. Just as or more comfy as the Venture and TD were. I added bar risers, footpeg lowering kit, and aftermarket seat and I can ride all day and get off and feel like I had only ridden 5 miles to the 7-11. Plus because the bike is half the weight, I am not as worn out from fighting such a large load around the twisties.

Well then, it must have been my imagination that my butt ached after an hour or so riding the 5 smaller bikes I've owned over the years! I stand corrected.:rotf::rotf:

Well then, it must have been my imagination that my butt ached after an hour or so riding the 5 smaller bikes I've owned over the years! I stand corrected.:rotf::rotf:

I think it is all in how we mod our individual bikes. Just like a lot of people here love the stock seat on the Venture. I couldn’t stand it. Couldn’t even ride the 25 miles to work without getting pains. Once I switched to the Corbin, I was pain free and could ride forever!I think it is all in how we mod our individual bikes. Just like a lot of people here love the stock seat on the Venture. I couldn’t stand it. Couldn’t even ride the 25 miles to work without getting pains. Once I switched to the Corbin, I was pain free and could ride forever!

I think it is all in how we mod our individual bikes. Just like a lot of people here love the stock seat on the Venture. I couldn’t stand it. Couldn’t even ride the 25 miles to work without getting pains. Once I switched to the Corbin, I was pain free and could ride forever!I think it is all in how we mod our individual bikes. Just like a lot of people here love the stock seat on the Venture. I couldn’t stand it. Couldn’t even ride the 25 miles to work without getting pains. Once I switched to the Corbin, I was pain free and could ride forever!

I understand. I was just:stickpoke: All in good humor! No offense intended.

I think if I could modify my ZN700 seat to make it wider it would be fine for a trip. The engine would rev more and I'd have to use my extra foot pegs to stretch out occasionally but it would be workable. The 1st Gen Venture windshield seems to be too far from the rider and I get too much wind buffeting behind it. My ZN700 with the full National Cycle plexifairing III windshield is very close to me when I ride it and it is actually quieter around my helmet than the 89 Venture.

I got a Corbin I'm still trying to get used to. Was going to trade it but think I've changed my mind but still not sure I like it.