IGNORED

Michelin Commander II and Tire Pressure Question.

i have a 2005 Royal Star Tour Deluxe with a Venture Tour Pack and Quadzilla Fairing. My wife and I each weigh about 190. I currently have Metzler ME880s on front and rear.

Front size 130/90-16 M/C 67H

Rear Size 150/90 B 15 M/C 80H

Front Pressure 38 psi

Rear Pressure 46 psi

I have been having problems with the tires cupping.

Question #1 What Tire Pressures are people running on the second Gens to prevent cupping?

Question #2 I am considering giving the Michelin Commander IIs a try. Has anyone tried these, and what are your opinions of these tires compared to other tires such as Dunlop EIIIs, Metzler 880s, etc. Is there a consensus on what the tire of choice is for second gens?

Thanking you in advance for your feedback.

Regards,

Tony

Metzler ME880s. Mine were cupped like mad at rear when I got bike. Found out I needed to run max cold air pressure in them..ie..whatever it says on the sidewalls. It was to late for me as right after the cupping started, I developed a crack then a chunk came out of rear. The previous owner obviously ran Yamaha recommended pressures...hence the problems I had. I liked the handling on the 880's.

Don't know about Michelin other than Dunlop and Michelin both seem to be highly rated among riders here.

I'm now running my 89 (Shinko) and 05(Pirelli) bikes's tires at 2lbs below max..riding solo. I take them to max when 2 up or lots of long, high speed runs. The Shinkos stick like glue but will wear faster being a softer tire. That's good for the 89 as I do enjoy the twisties on that scoot! The Pirelli's on the 05 seem to ride nice...but not many miles yet.

I would say you can't go wrong with either brand.

Been running Metzlers for awhile now. on my RSTD and Venture

Rear 41

Front 36

I found filling to max was a rigid ride

I have the rear at about 48 and fron at 40

I weigh in aboat 295 and my passenger lets just she is small

The cupping on the front left side of the tire, After some looking in it does cup and wear more than others 13,000 or so miles later.

I learned this,Last week was the first time I took the time to remove and take the tire to the shop

I have a friend witha Honda VTX 1800 front tire worn the exact some as my 2000 Venture

I am now running an Avon Cobra on the front at around 300 miles I like it so far at avonrecomended psi

Cobra has a 15,000 warranty

Just my 2 pennies.

Have been running Commander IIs for two years and will never run anything else. Got close to 16k miles on them and they are onlyhalf worn. Pressures are 36 front and 40 back. I weigh 240 and my wife 130. Have to go with the 130 up front as they do not offer a 150, but that results in a significant improvement of low speed handling.

Anybody who is running a Metzler at anything under the maximum sidewall pressure is ignoring MANY posts here made on the subject. They are notorious for losing chunks of rubber and running them at anything less than max is just asking for trouble. I will personally never put one on my bikes but if I did, I would check them on a regular basis to ensure that they are at the proper maximum air pressure.

Ignore this advice at your own risk but I hope you don't. We hate hearing about people getting hurt here.

i have the MC2s on my RSV and love them. Ireplaced the back about a month ago with another MC2 before my trip out to BC. At 19000 miles there was still some wear left on it, but I didn't want to replace it on the road on vacation. Its the best tire Ive run so far and works real well in rain.

Brian

I am running MC II on my 08 RSTD and love them. I have right at 18,000 on them and at 20,000 I am going to change the back tire the front is still really good. I have always ran max tire pressure marked on the tire. I am 6ft1 240lb and ride double on week ends with my wife. I just got home from a 4100 mile trip to BC for two week and was loaded heavy(I like to camp). It rained on me everyday at some point and I never had an issue. I am going to replace these tire with another set just the same.

I hate to be the downer in this post, and maybe I just got a bad tire. But I installed a MC 2 on the rear of my 2005 RSMV and in wet conditions it broke traction several times. I tried adjusting air pressure and it didn't help. I ride an average of 12k miles a year, so I feel like I know bikes and tires. I have never had a tire break traction in wet conditions as much as the MC 2.

I hate to be the downer in this post, and maybe I just got a bad tire. But I installed a MC 2 on the rear of my 2005 RSMV and in wet conditions it broke traction several times. I tried adjusting air pressure and it didn't help. I ride an average of 12k miles a year, so I feel like I know bikes and tires. I have never had a tire break traction in wet conditions as much as the MC 2.

Seems weird, where were you riding? Was it all roads or maybe newer paved? It wasn't shortly after it started raining by chance. Also just for a per-chance, check to see it is mounted in the correct rotation direction.

Seems weird, where were you riding? Was it all roads or maybe newer paved? It wasn't shortly after it started raining by chance. Also just for a per-chance, check to see it is mounted in the correct rotation direction.

Yeah, I did all the above, and the road condition were various. It looks like its an isolated incident so maybe it was just the tire. No one else has had that issue, but it sure made me nervous.