IGNORED

Wisconsin or Bust

mirider

Heading out this afternoon for a visit to the Badger state on the Badger. Taking the carferry out of Ludington tomorrow am heading over to Manitowoc and then a short scoot over to New Lisbon for a visit with our oldest grandson who was recently married. First trip on the carferry since I was a kid growing up in Ludington :backinmyday: and certainly a new experience with the bike. Still trying to decide whether to come back thru the UP or around Chicago way. :confused24: Do not really want to experience Chitown traffic but the UP route is 200 mi. further. Will post pics and commentary while underway. :cool:

When will you be comming through Chicago? Weekend traffic on 294 isn't bad but you'll pay tolls, stay away from the city on 94 if you want to keep rolling. The UP is a beautiful ride but Hiawatha Forrest starts to drag on after the 1st few miles. Its all open road and you can keep moving.

SOUNDS LIKE A FLIPPING RIOT DAVE!!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

Prayers Up and Blessings Down for a marvelous journey no matter which trail you decide to CTFW on!!:thumbsup: Gonna be keeping my eyes open for that chance to follow the fun my friend:fingers-crossed-emo

P.S. - if it were me and had the time (and good weather) I would go up and around,,,,,,, BUT,,,,,,,, that pathway right along the bottom of Lake Michigan past the Museum of Science and Industry is awesome too... Plus, a ride past the HD Museum while stopping and jerking Fool's chain would also add flavor to a Chicago tour:think::happy34:

IF you hit traffic just right the Ride down Lake Shore Drive (Rt 41) is nice but watch out for the south side. The neighborhoods get bad, but they will mostly leave you alone. The hit the highway and skip over the South Burbs & near northwest indiana; Exit Ripply St in Gary, zig-zag to County Line Rd then up to Rt 12 Dunes Highway all the way through Michigan City and up keep following up the MI West coast.

Thanks for the tips on the routes thru Chicago, driven thru there in a cage many times but a little leery of poking my head on 80, 94 or any other freeway on the bike. Have a cousin southeast of Joliet and it appears I can circumvent Chicago if I do go that way. Leaning toward the UP route as traffic and beauty are a little more appealing. Don't have to decide til next Monday as that's the head back day. Made Ludington about half hour ago and settled in a motel for the night. Up @ 6:30am for quick run down to the boat docks and off we go........

I know the UP quite well since I grew up in the Houghton/Hancock area on the Keweenaw peninsula. If you have any extra time, you might find it interesting to head up to Copper Harbor located at the end of the peninsula. Hwy 26 along the north shore of the Keweenaw is a good ride and Brockway Mountain Drive is also a good run and gives some spectacular views - some sections of the road might be fairly challenging. If you are interested, there are lots of old copper mines in the area and some have tours. The Quincy mine, located just outside of Hancock, is one of the deepest mines in the world (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quincy_Mine). At any rate, simply zooming east to get to the bridge will miss some of the best riding in the midwest and some interesting sights. Hope you enjoy your trip.

zag

Edited by zagger

Appreciate the comments but I have been to every attraction in the UP, and there are many, numerous times. Copper Harbor is one of my favorites. Won't be going that far north this trip but do have friends with a home on Lake Michigamme who we may stop to see. Have taken the Mac bridge by car, motor home, and motorcycle before....great experience. I'm the son of a Yooper and consider myself one too. [emoji106]🏻

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440720242.009052.jpg

As shown made it to Wisconsin today and settled for the nite in Mauston, our home for the next four days. Shared the SS Badger this morning with 6 other bikes and 1 trike, mostly Harley's. Loved the conversation with the two in front of me...they had no idea where they were going, just riding.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440720413.894044.jpg

Leaving Ludington behind. Beautiful day for crossing, sunny and calm seas. Oh, and bikers are some of the first vehicles off. [emoji106]🏻

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440720575.491440.jpg

Entering Manitowoc harbor.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440720743.386892.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440720757.332431.jpg

BEEEAAAUUUTIFUL MI!!!:clap2::dancefool::thumbsup: Gotta agree with ya, ya meet the nicest folks on a,,, motorcycle:322: All the BEST of relaxation and fun while your visiting the family and friends over there!! Thanks again for sharing the ride and :photographing:'s with us!!:thumbsup:

Trying to help ya out a little on your decision making about the ride home, I just checked our official Fly-In-The-Ointment Burrrrometer - it shows low manifold pressures. Clearly indicating that the Wisconsin White Wash Machine is still down for maintenance. I also checked the "CBDSIM" (Canadian Back Door Squeek Index Monitor) which shows the Canuck's have not lubricated any hinges for a very long time.. Looking real good for a trip around the top my friend!! Eat a gravy covered Pastie for us if you head that way will ya!:big-grin-emoticon:

@cowpuc - pretty much decided to head home via the UP route....only about 400 miles to the Mac bridge from here following the lake shore route which I love. Will save the Chitown traffic experience for a later date. [emoji33] Thanks for clearing the way with the esteemed weather gods. Actually, I prefer my pasty with ketchup. [emoji106]🏻

As long as we are talking Pasty's Dave,, gotta ask.. Where is your FAVORITE spot for one? You ever try the little Pasty Shop a few miles west of Ignace on 2? Lets see here,, if you were headed east on 2 just a few miles from the bridge, kind of in a valley before you go up a hill where there is a road side park on your right - there is a small Pasty shop on the right hand side before you go up the hill.. Not a resturant of any sort, just a small building with a countertop - my kind of mom n pop joint, all fresh made right there... Sound familiar at all? Best we have found thru the years of trying to lose our Troll status.. :big-grin-emoticon:

There are so many good pasty shops up there, it is hard to pick a favorite......have tried most of them. Think the best I've had is a place called Lawry's on 28 near Ishpeming. Also had some good ones in the Munising area. There are so many shops along both 2 and 28, I think I know the one you are talking about but can't think of the name. Will keep my eye out for it when we pass thru next week and maybe even bring a couple home. [emoji1][emoji106]🏻

Arrived home today from fantastic trip to Wisconsin, crossing Lk. Michigan on the carferry and returning via the lakeshore route in the UP. Logged about 900 miles, bike ran great, and no rain except for one day in Wisconsin motel. :banana::happy34: Sorry @cowpuc, never stopped for any pasties this trip and didn't see the shop you talked about. :doh: A few pics attached of our ride thru the UP.

SAM_0079 (640x469).jpg

Rest stop along hwy 2

SAM_0080 (640x480).jpg

Cut River Bridge

SAM_0081 (640x480).jpg

Hwy 2

SAM_0082 (640x346).jpg

Mackinac Bridge shrouded in fog

SAM_0084 (640x480).jpg

Crossing the bridge

Edited by mirider

Chi town traffic is not as bad as everyone lets on, just gotta flow with traffic but timing is everything. I use the gps on my phone and listen to it when it tells me to get off or take an alternate route. I do avoid rush hour if possible and the worst thing ever is to drive the speed limit ie 55=70. I'm not saying is's a nice peaceful ride through the countryside but I have been in far worse traffic.