IGNORED

weeping oil above kickstand

My '85 has been weeping above the kickstand for years and the general comment from the experts has been wire loom grommets. I changed the left-side engine cover gasket today on my '92 because it seemed to be leaking a dollar sized puddle when parked. The wire loom grommets that everyone talks about are attached to this cover. Can I goop these grommets with gasket shellack on the '85 and seal the weeping?

Clean the wires real good. You have to get all of the oil out of the cloth braid that is over the wires. Pull a half to an inch of wire thru the rubber grommet. Clean the wires real good again getting all oil out of the braid.

goop it up with some black RTV. work the RTV into the wire braid. Now pull the wire with the RTV back into the grommet. smooth out the RTV to make a nice fillet around the wires.

This is how I did mine 6 years ago and it has not leaked yet.

I have to redo mine. I must not have got mine clean enough and getting tired of the burning oil smell when I first start to ride. :biker:

Bill, Maybe this Fall we can have another Maintenance Day at either your place or mine. I have a small leak around that area...never bothered to check it out since it's small enough not to bother me...yet!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Clean the wires real good. You have to get all of the oil out of the cloth braid that is over the wires. Pull a half to an inch of wire thru the rubber grommet. Clean the wires real good again getting all oil out of the braid.

goop it up with some black RTV. work the RTV into the wire braid. Now pull the wire with the RTV back into the grommet. smooth out the RTV to make a nice fillet around the wires.

This is how I did mine 6 years ago and it has not leaked yet.

:sign yeah that:

When I have done mine, I used brake clean which leaves no residue. Can't say if that is the only cleaner to use but done it three times so far and it worked every time.

My '84 xvz12D is leaking oil right around the side stand also and it smokes for a while until good and warmed up. Seems the leaking oil is puddling on the exhaust collector (and burns off of there). So I can't see where the oil is leaking from. Is there any pics on here or can you folks tell me what to remove to identify the leak source?