IGNORED

spitting at 55 to 62 mph

Good morning

Well we went to Ohio for a small bike trip, using 2 lane roads, riding 55 to 62 my bike does not want to run.

Its like it wants to stop running, like your running out of gas.

Let me ask this, is there someone who knows how to sych carbs that lives within say 200 miles of Indy ? I hve had 3 bad things at dealers so I try not to use them, I would rather pay someone out of there garage.

Love my bike and Im just not calm enough to work on things like that. anyway thank you for your help or ideas

Bog.

I'm in Oberlin, OH. Wish I had known you were sort of in the area and I could have done it for you. If you get up this way, I would be happy to. Not sure that's your problem though. Out of sync carbs will usually cause a bit of buzzing in the handlebars but I've not seen it to cause them to not want to run. You don't have your bike information in your header so I don't know the year model but you may consider looking at the gas filter.

Sorry, its a 2007 midnight venture.

we like it a lot, but we are planning a long trip next year and want to make sure I know what I have and what Im doing

and what I should look for. I would like for someone to show me little maintenance tricks to do.

I am just not a motor guy but have been riding for 30 years and will ride longer but cant afford deals prices, I just put new rubber on and it cost me way to much for the install, let me know when you are free and I will ride over your way and pay you to do the carbs.

Bog.

I'm usually free on the weekends but travel during the week. Would be happy to sync them for you. I doubt that the fuel filter is bad on a 2007 but with some of the gas we get today, it is possible. They are a pain to change. We can sync them first and see if that helps.

One more thought that I just had. I only have one or two thoughts a week so this is very rare. What do you mean by "didn't want to run". If you were running in 5th gear at those speeds and expecting it to accelerate strongly, it's not going to happen. 5th is a true overdrive and at those speeds, you are going to need to downshift for any good hills, passing other cars, etc.

At any rate, my cellular number is in my profile so give me a call sometime when you want to head this way.

If you want to find somebody closer, there are some members nearer to you that might be willing to help. I don't know his schedule but I'm tagging @Dano in this post. Maybe he will see it and could lend a hand.

Get a can of Seafoam or Berrymans B12. About 1 oz per gallon. It is a fuel system carb cleaner and if there happens to be some crud it will hopefully dissolve it and clean the junk out. Best case is your lugging it, worst case maybe a fuel pump. But I would think the fuel pump would be more evident on hard acceleration when fuel demand is high.

You guys are the best, I have done the carb cleaner thing, it runs fine its just you cant run at 55 to 62 its like it wants to run out of gas.

I did think for a moment about being in 5th gear. but I am already there riding at 55-60 in 5th gear. but its like it wont stay there, you can go faster or slower you just cant ride there, (someone made a 55 mph speed limit)

anyway I would love to come up there one Sat morning say around Aug 22 or sometime in Sept.

Again Thank you my wife thanks you. She likes to ride but always asks me whats wrong lol.

Try it at approximately the same rpm (I know, dang 2nd gens don't have all the good stuff 1st gens do...) as it is in 5th at 55-62, only in your lower gears. You'll have to use your ears to do this. What we want to replicate is it happening on the rpm speed, not wheel speed. Knocks a lot of stuff out of the way by seeing if it always does this to rpm speed. Definitely not the fuel pump, filter or dirty carbs. Most guys don't go to 5th gear until 60+ out on the open freeway, as these motors aren't built for lower rpm torque and pick-up in speed. I'll be glad to look at it sometime in the next couple of weeks, I'm right out at the Marion, Johnson, Shelby county corner from you.

Dano

you are the man, heck if you can ride it around and tell me what you think would be great.

I get off duty around 530 pm and off on fri sat and sun after church.

please take my number and call whenever you are free. 317-362-3801

Bog

The symptoms you describe pretty much sound like "lean surge" in a carbureted automobile. Usually because the fuel pump can't keep up with the engine demand (usually a fuel pump dying).

Fuel filter is a good starting point.

I'm not "up" on second gen stuff that well (one of the more experienced 2nd gen guys can speak to this) but don't the 2nd gen models have a bit of a dodgey fuel pump reputation?

The symptoms you describe pretty much sound like "lean surge" in a carbureted automobile. Usually because the fuel pump can't keep up with the engine demand (usually a fuel pump dying).

Fuel filter is a good starting point.

I'm not "up" on second gen stuff that well (one of the more experienced 2nd gen guys can speak to this) but don't the 2nd gen models have a bit of a dodgey fuel pump reputation?

To say the least they are dodgey. Some guys have the original and have many 10's of thousands of miles, some only get 20k. But I have to kind of agree it sounds adjustment, or jet related. Like the amount of fuel required for said speed and load is not getting there. Kind of like the old Holley 4bbl when the base gasket use to blow out. Would run like heck but no low speed or idle.

How does it accelerate going up through the gears? Any stumbling? Reason asking. Awhile back my bike started normal, idled very normal but under certain conditions the engine would seem to stumble slightly especially during moderate acceleration. It would also stumble continually around the same speeds you are talking about. Couldn't feel a thing above 65MPH, reason being RPM a little higher. In any case the consensus at that time was a fuel issue. I did all the usual fuel system troubleshooting etc etc. Shortly after that I started another regiment of T/S. Started the bike. Thinking that if it was a fuel issue/carb issue one of the cylinders would not be running right. Only ten minutes after I started it soon came to the realization that #4 cylinder was not heating up correctly. The exhaust pipe was still only lukewarm. But remember it is still idling normal. Took it for a quick ride, checked the exhaust out again, carefully. #4 hot but not searing hot like the other 3. In any case to make a long story short, I pulled the fuel tank to check the spark plug on #4. Within seconds of pulling the tank off found a wire lead partially off the #4 coil. Reinstalled it, good ever since. So, what seemed like a fuel problem with the same stumbling symptoms as running out of fuel, it ended up being an ignition issue.

JetMech, wow that sounds just like what I am feeling on the bike. hhmmmm ok Ill run this gas out this weekend (nice weekend to be in Indy for the GP)

then I will try my hand at taking the tank off and checking plugs and wires. yes I am nervous about this but I will try,

Thanks

Bog

Tank is easy to get off once you find the front bolts. I think I looked forb30 min first time I went to pull mine. One bolt either side of front part of frame by forks sort of. The other is under the seat, rear center of seat, its like 12mm bolt. The fronts should be like 5mm allen I think it is. Turn petcock to off.

Funny you say that, well yesterday we rode out to visit our youngest son by Oxford OH. took all 2 lane (wonderful ride) and all at 55mph (well mostly) and I never left 4th gear. Yes I am a happy guy, no problems riding there.

I must say I was scared of staying in 4th but this bike likes to be there going at that speed.

you guys are the best. Thanks for all your input,

Bog

Funny you say that, well yesterday we rode out to visit our youngest son by Oxford OH. took all 2 lane (wonderful ride) and all at 55mph (well mostly) and I never left 4th gear. Yes I am a happy guy, no problems riding there.

I must say I was scared of staying in 4th but this bike likes to be there going at that speed.

you guys are the best. Thanks for all your input,

Bog

Unless I am going to be running over around 70 mph and not going up/down a lot of hills, I never hit 5th gear. Bike performs well and mpg is better. I have read some say that you can hit 100 mph in 4th. I am not willing to test that, but it would not surprise me at all.

My problem became easier to diagnose once I was able to isolate the problem to a particular cylinder. In your case this may or may not be apparent. Mine was. After starting the bike cold, within a few minutes three cylinders very hot, one cylinder warm. This was done by carefully by touching or should I say coming close to touching the exhaust pipes where they comes out of the heads. Even after running it on the highway for 5 miles the temperature difference was apparent. If this is a fuel feed issue your bike may not exhibit the same symptoms.

On some of the other commentary I like you on occasion will be in fifth riding 55-60 mph. While I cannot say that I feel any stumbling at this speed I wouldnt rule it out. I don't have my owners manual available but I believe that Yamaha tells you fifth above 50 mph. If that is the case I couldn't imagine that stumbling would be normal at any speed above 50.

Well we went for another ride ( I begged wife to let me out) and again as long as I was in 4th gear everything was great.

I love my bike very much now.....

Stumbling/spitting at 55 and up in fifth gear not normal. Just took my bike for a ride to confirm. Even at 45 in fifth there is no issue. Throttle response is terrible but RPM is only about 2000 so that would be expected. When my bike had its stumble issue I didn't feel anything over 65 MPH. In fact as long as I kept the RPM up over 3200 I couldn't feel it at all, which is what you are feeling in forth at highway speeds. Lower RPM under load and at 55-65 in fifth different story. If you are still feeling it in fifth I think something is amiss

These bikes will run really well on 3 cylinders. Doing a check on cylinder temps on start up is not too bad (wet your finger first). Start it and see if all cylinders warm up get hot at roughly the same rate. If one is staying cold/colder (as in not as warm hot) as the others, that's the problem child. Could be fuel or spark. I agree should be able to cruise around all day in 5th at 55-62. Don't expect quick acceleration from there or good two up hill climbing, but other wise should not be dying spitting?

How about some history on the bike? How many miles? Owned it since new? New to you? has it sat for an extended period in it life? Have you checked the oil lately? Is it over full? if so there may be fuel in the crankcase. Last time it had Spark plugs? Another easy thing to check- Are the battery cables tight??

If I had to guess, the spitting you are describing is float valves not set correctly (too much fuel in bowl) or needle valves leaking fuel by, or some combination. 52-60 in 5th is not alot of fuel demand, if floats aren't aren't set or sealing, raw fuel will start rising in the emulsion tube and into the carb throat. You only need one carb to do this to make it stumble/spit. Running around in 4th keeps the fuel demand up and therefore the carb bowls stay at a lower fuel level.

There are somethings Seafoam or any in-tank cleaner won't correct. I'm personally not a fan of Seafoam due to the alcohol in it. There's enough of that in fuel already. While Expensive, either get Yamaha Ring Free (Highly concentrated techron) or get Chevron Techron Fuel system Cleaner and use the Big bottle ( for up to 20 gallons). Drive enough to run a a gallon or so through then park it, preferably with a lift or jack stands under the pegs to keep it level so the float bowls are all equally full. Let it sit a day or two and then run it again and run it hard and run that tankof fuel out. Change the oil. If you still have the stumble issue, and you have ruled out spark and spark plugs, it will be time to go inside the carburetors.

If you think you like 4th gear? Try Third gear, its good from 30-90. In the mountains, its almost the only gear you need.

Edited by RSTDdog

it may sound strange but have you checked your fuel pump is actually pumping fuel i had this problem recently the base plate on the pump was bent [not much ]i noticed that the in and out pipes were not parallel the valves use the base plate to seal if bent the valves don't work and the fuel does not get pumped but it clicks as per normal .the problem only showed in 5th gear for some unknown reason tis worth a look

I feel like with using 4th gear has been wonderful, seems to run great and my MPG has gone up too.

Now I have only had this bike for about 3 months, not much info from PO. I have changed the oil, I have said I am no motor guy but also can't afford Dealer fixes either, I am ok to do things on my own but when I need help I don't mind paying someone to do the work, Just not a dealer. But for now its running good and I do have a invite to have some of you to help,

everyone on here is great I love all the help this site and its members bring

Bog