IGNORED

Ariens mowers (not motorcycle related)

frankd

Does anybody know anything about the new Ariens rider mowers with 'automatic' transmission? Reverse went out on my 17 year old Murray rider and forward was a bit weak. I pulled the transaxle and changed the oil, but it only helped foward. Now forward is much better, but reverse is still dead. I need a new/rebuilt transaxle, but I could only find 1 new transaxle for over $700. Way too much for something this old. Parts are not available for the Peerless 205-024C transaxle used in the Murray.

So I'm cutting my grass without reverse, but that's a bit inconvenient. it's time to look for a new rider. Home Depot has a real good price on a 46" Ariens mower, but they have what Ariens calls an automatic transmission, not a hydrostatic anymore. Anybody have any experience with these?

Frank

Looks just like my Husqvarna mower. There is a rod in the back that puts gearbox in or out of gear so you can push it in a shed or move it around without engine, essentially neutral. So when engine is running with the rod engaged the large pedal is forward and the small one on the floorboard is reverse. The pedals move a rod on the transmission and a belt spins a pulley on top and produces fluid pressure. Only problem I have had with mine in over 4 years was it got to a point rev was not much power backing up and slow. Did some research and put a thicker fluid in, but I think once I got it apart the actual problem was a lot of grass and debris loaded up on top of gearbox would not allow push rod to make a full swing.

The trans must work because I think thats about all you can get in anything anymore.

The bracket that the rod attached to on my Husqvarna had the tab bend where the rod attaches. Finally broke off. Symptoms prior to breaking were as you described. You can get to it by removing the right rear wheel. An ATV jack works fine for this job. Pretty simple job once you get started. I had my original bracket welded at the local shop. PM me with any questions.

Fitz

I work for Lowe's And use to work for a JD dealer selling lawn mowers and tractor. These new " automatic transmissions" are junk. Spend the extra $$ and get a Hydro. The Hydro has been around for about 30 years and are very reliable.