IGNORED

Warning light on my '87

I am going to get this '87 venture on the road this spring.

On the instrement cluster top center is a red light that is blinking when I turn the key on and all the time it is running. What is this and what should I do about it?

Thanks

D

I am going to get this '87 venture on the road this spring.

On the instrement cluster top center is a red light that is blinking when I turn the key on and all the time it is running. What is this and what should I do about it?

Thanks

D

most likely, if someone has replaced the battery, it is the "low liquid" sensor.

most batteries, have no hole into which you insert the probe, so folks either do a "workaround", or ignore the blinking light.

just jt

If the icon you see has 5 straight rays to the left of the lamp, its the headlight failure icon, if it has 3 angled rays to the right of the lamp, it brakelight/tailight failure.

Heres the order of the CMS icons, as they appear on the monitor

sidestand down...... low battery fluid......... low fuel tank level

low brake fluid....... headlight filament........ *fuel level*

front or rear............. failure .......................*********

................................................................*********

engine oil level.......brake/tailight filament...*********

.....low.................... failure....................... *********

D,

When you said the headlight is working, is it switching between the two beams? I remember from reading the owners manual that if one of the filaments gives out, the other filament will light in both switch positions. Perhaps someone else can comment on this, but it popped into my mind when I read your post.

Kevin

I cut a little peice of black tape and fit in the hole where the red light is. Presto, no flashing light (it distracts me something horrible) My headlight Icon is on due to the fact that the previous owner wired up the headlights instead of trying troubleshoot the starter switch.

Kevin,

Well, I see light in both positions, and it changes when I switch Hi, Lo

what is the best way to get the bulb out, unscrew headlight and remove whole assembly to access bulb, or...

D

Doesn't sound like the headlight then. Do you have a square white light on the upper right of your dash? When my low beam went out that light also lit.

Which icon is lit? Is it middle row center or middle row bottom "Light" icon. If it's middle center then it's the headlight icon. If it's middle row bottom it's the brake lights. As someone mentioned if you changed to LED brake lights that will cause this warning light as well.

Keep us posted.

I've only had one headlight bulb fail on the 2 Ventures I've owned, I seem to recall when the bulb failed, the CMS icon stayed on, but the HEADLIGHT light on the dash only was on when I was using the failed beam, and the Reserve Lighting Unit had taken over. The RLU basically senses the filament fail and tries to power the other beam so you have a headlight to limp home. In other words, say the low beam fails, the CMS alarms all the time till bulb replaced....when on Hi beam the HEADLIGHT light on dash is off....switch to low beam, because that filament is not usable, the RLU takes over and powers the High beam filament, and the HEADLIGHT light is on to warn you are on the Reserve.

Well, I don't know what I did...I took the headlamp bulb out to look at it, seemed to work so I put it all back together, figured I'd deal with it later, and now the warning light is off :cool10:

D

Probably just a dirty connection. Made the resistance change enough to set off the computer. Good work!!

Well, I don't know what I did...I took the headlamp bulb out to look at it, seemed to work so I put it all back together, figured I'd deal with it later, and now the warning light is off :cool10:

D

It's a miracle! I Say: Heeeeal!!! :beer: :rotf: